lowering / coil chopping

CMF_Mactat2

» CMF Member
Hi all,
was thinking of chopping the springs to lower the micra a little has anybody done it this way? Any advice much appreciated.
cheers

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
Mactat2 WROTE:

"Hi all,<BR>was thinking of chopping the springs to lower the micra a little has anybody done it this way? Any advice much appreciated.<BR>cheers

My advise is if you are thinking to lower the car juz for the looks... go ahead and chop the springs!! But make sure you measure the length properly.. I'm sure you wouldn't wanna have you car tilting to one side though... haha

If for performance purpose, go for proper lowering springs as load test has been done for these...

Cutting of springs are not actually recommended as it will shorten the lifespans of the springs and sometimes makes the car un-predictable if not done properly...

Juz my 2 cents worth...

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
I bought my micra with chopped springs, the fronts ended up falling out of the correct seating and wearing into the shocks, very dangerous, ride quality was stiff, very stiff, everybody complained about it and i used to bottom out on bumps

As far as looks are concerned, looked tough, I would recomend coilovers as I love the looks of a lowered micra, but I had to go king springs as my car does a lot of rural driving and has to double as a billygoat to get up a really bad long driveway at my sisters/mums farm regulary. Exhausts are expensive to fix or if u do them youself just a pain in the bum

Maybe at least do the fronts first with c/overs and chop rears, but in my experience chopping old springs always ends up with one side sagging more than the other.

Plenty of information on this site, use the search and study about it before chopping maybe your only springs. and read about adjustable panhards and other suspension parts

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
Spend a bit of money on lovell spring and a panhard rod. (Lovells are cheaper than king springs)

If u do make a pair of 'makita' specials make sure u secure the spring to the strut as it can fall off its seating when the suspension extends fully, tie wire or zipties would probably work. If u do drop it more than 20-30mm, an adjustable panhard rod is a must as the rear drivers side wheel will be pushed out.
Also try removing a couple of coils first then refitt to make sure u dont drop it too much.
My old micra im pretty sure had yamaha motocross bike springs in the rear. Was so low and scrubbed on flat ground. Lol

Just use the search and u will see many, many threads disscussing all the possible options. From coilovers to sportivo corolla springs....

CMF_Mactat2

» CMF Member
Cheers for your comments guys, was thinking maybe a 35mm drop or there abouts. Sounds like cutting the springs is a no no so i'll look into some springs and a panhard rod. Then next on the list some alloys lol im also toying woth the idea of wrapping the car in vinyl, just got to sort a design out first ;0)

CMF_Jas

» CMF Member
Don't chop springs!!! obviously they are illegal and they are potentially dangerous. Keep saving your dollars and buy a pair of lowered springs to the height you want, they are faily cheap...or ask around here and someone will probably have a set of kings or something lowered they want to sell.

CMF_markbognor

» CMF Member
Chopped springs are ok. No idea what its like for you guys, but they can pass our yearly MOT test. The biggest issue with 'em is keeping them located, Frank did the rears by what was essentially shortening the rod on the rear shocks. I have loops of seat belt webbing that stop the axle from dropping far enough to unseat the springs. The fronts on mine are wired into the cups.

Back