Chopping Springs ?

CMF_freecookies

» CMF Member
Im considering chopping my springs , i only want to take 1 and a 1/2 coils out , i know that the standard recommendation is not to do it, because it damages suspension components as they have to compensate.

Has anyone done it and have any tips ?

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
It's up to you of course.... but don't do it !. This is illegal and is a major safety issue. The factory springs don't have enough tension to compensate for being shortened so the car will ride and handle very badly....

Do things properly, save up and buy some proper lowering springs... Whiteline, KMac and King Springs all have sets for the Micra and are available from local suppliers. NSM on this forum will do a good price for you i am sure.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
oh yeah and get an adjustable panhard rod at least! Otherwise you'll find the right hand side guard will chew out your tyre in no time!

Also the number one reason for getting proper springs/shocks/panhard rod? It will bloody handle better! Not worse than standard, like chopped springs will.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
freecookies WROTE:

"Im considering chopping my springs , i only want to take 1 and a 1/2 coils out , i know that the standard recommendation is not to do it, because it damages suspension components as they have to compensate.

Has anyone done it and have any tips ?

usually the tail-end of a cut spring will be the wrong shape (and wont sit in the platform squarely :O )
daewoo matiz rears are a cheap alternative, pictured (if you want the stock comfort) or else many of the suzuki rears (if you want to shake your fillings out)

frank

Attachments

• 51569.jpg
    51569.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 24

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Mine are chopped, squeeks endlessly and it extremely bouncy.

handles really well but all over ride is crap. I would honestly go another route. (i didnt chop them, but I prob would have anyway)

CMF_squarepants

» CMF Member
been there done this...i chopped up some eibach 35mm springs, i took 2 coils out the front and 3 coils out the back..the back springs where safe no issues what so ever and it was comfy. but the fronts felt terriable. and the bearing in the shock fooked up as the shock was always compressed (as the springs wasnt tall engough) when the weight sat on them...but i then fitted kyb gas shocks and it was fine.

upside:
handled well. and it looked cool.

downside:
fails the MOT and doesnt feel that comfy on the front.

my advice, chop uprated springs and use gas shocks...but its not the best idea. i would never chop springs agian. save up buy coilovers or airbags if you want to be low. or just buy uprated springs if you want it to look lower than standard and handle well.

CMF_nsm

» CMF Member
i can sell you Lovells springs at a good price...i keep them in stock and have them ready to go... you will also need an adjustable panhard rod and i have Whiteline brands in stock...

nick...

CMF_nsm

» CMF Member
lovells are around 38-40mm lower than standard...they also do a super low which is about 55-60mm lower than standard...kings also come in around the same heights,but i,m not a big fan on kings...i think thet are more of a looks spring rather than a performance spring...

nick...

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Lovells are much better then kings. I found that my kings went soft after under a year but the lovells i got were alot cheaper and much ncer and stayed stiffer for much longer. I would just buy them off Nick(NSM) and be done with it. No issued with insurance and no issue with ride stability and compfort.

GOod luck

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Since both of the options wont lower the car enough has anyone tried lowering the car with options for the daewoo matiz concidering it fits?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
DECIM8 WROTE:

"Since both of the options wont lower the car enough has anyone tried lowering the car with options for the daewoo matiz concidering it fits?

the matiz, wagon r, alto etc rears are as short as you can go on the front without using progressive rate springs (ie, any shorter and the spring wont be captive when the shocker is fully extended)
with those springs you can just about start the nut on the thread without compressors

frank

cisco

» CMF Member
Eek :)

I know it's very tempting to think about it, but don't do it.
Been there done that in quite a few different stages (cut off many different lengths and experimented) and there just does not exist any benefit from doing it, other than taking a photo of how hardcore your new Dangerous Piece Of **** looks.

It's a very bad move for a number of reasons.

- The springs don't sit flat in the bases and there is a serious risk of them falling out. Whenever you jack up the car, the rear springs can become loose and often fall out. It is tricky to have to put your springs back in WHILE lowering the jack back down and risk not getting your hand stuck in there and/or killing yourself.

- The shock absorbers will be put through hell trying to control the unconventional spring dimensions. Literally within 1-2 months after driving like that, your shocks will be garbage and you will be up for a new pair. So you might as well just buy a set of whiteline springs in the beginning. They are quite moderately low-ish for a set that can be just purchased and fitted quickly without going to coil overs, and very much worth the money. Kings are fine and work well but aren't *quite* as low as the whitelines. You will notice a slightly better look with the whiteline springs - they look pretty good. Do they still make these? No idea..

- Horror story: Once I had all 4 springs cut quite low and I was stupid enough to drive up the F3 freeway to Sydney with the car like that. Anyway, every grill I hit in the road, the car almost lifted up and smacked back down. Driving at 110km/h was a seriously scary experience and I slowed back down to 100km/h for safety reasons. Then when I got to Sydney, I was going up around this corner of a bridge when again I hit a grille, but this time the front of the car literally LIFTED off the ground and the engine went "REVVVV!" and my mate passenger went "holy fk you idiot, what is this piece of ****, you almost killed me!?!?!".

- You won't pass rego checks each time. Forget that, who wants a life of hell.

- Every time you go past a cop car, they will look at your car, knowing you chopped the springs and it may be the first thing they check. You will feel guilty and not have a leg to stand on.

You cut a little bit off and you think you're saving a quick buck and getting a quick benefit from the looks and stiffer handling, you're not.

cisco

» CMF Member
Ah you're kidding. That really sucks hardcore.

They produced such a great all round kit for the micra back in the day.

It was all really top gear. Bummer.

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
on the topic can someone explain to me how hight adjustable coilovers work on the back of the micra? do they retain the use of the spring pearch or is the spring and shock together? if they retain the spring perch how to you change the hight?

cheers

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"on the topic can someone explain to me how hight adjustable coilovers work on the back of the micra? do they retain the use of the spring pearch or is the spring and shock together? if they retain the spring perch how to you change the hight?

cheers

they,re coil over shock, which means the body,s top shock mount is carrying the weight of the car ( nissan did,nt design it for that)
and they say cutting springs is dangerous :d lol

frank

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:"
they,re coil over shock, which means the body,s top shock mount is carrying the weight of the car ( nissan did,nt design it for that)

and they say cutting springs is dangerous :d lol

frank

No, this isn't the case with the vast majority of 'coilover' sets out there. You'll find that most of the time they're just springs on their adjustable perch in their original positions and the shocks are just on their own like they normally.

Exactly which brands of coilovers have you seen using this method, Frank?

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

Exactly which brands of coilovers have you seen using this method, Frank?

---dens

i,m not sure what brand k6pfs,s rally ones that i helped him build dens (the front assy,s had a very slotted upper hub mount for camber adjustment)
and matt humpris has advised to strengthen the shock mounts so that they can take the weight of the car, (re moddedmicra,s blog iirc) so i assumed that most kits were "coilover"
if not, then i stand corrected :)

frank

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
aha thanks frank and dens, looks like there is both out there. i did some more searching and found a picture (i think they are b-crews coilovers) This is what your talking bout right dens?

does this setup allow for the rear shocks to be adjusted?

Attachments

• 51633.jpg
    51633.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 22

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"does this setup allow for the rear shocks to be adjusted?

Adjusted in what way? I don't know to what extent the shocks are adjustable (bound/rebound, etc.) but like a few brands, it seems that the shocks are threaded around the body so the base can be adjusted to different heights and same with the rear springs on the perches there. Mick has a set of those from memory so he might be the one to ask if you want to know B-Crews specific info.

---dens

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
ah ok thanks dens for the clarifying. do you have a coilover setup on you micra(s)? could you let me know what brand you went with if so?

p.s. they shoulnt be called coilovers in the rear then hey

thanks, Joël

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"climberjoel WROTE:

"does this setup allow for the rear shocks to be adjusted?"</div>

Adjusted in what way? I don't know to what extent the shocks are adjustable (bound/rebound, etc.) but like a few brands, it seems that the shocks are threaded around the body so the base can be adjusted to different heights and same with the rear springs on the perches there. Mick has a set of those from memory so he might be the one to ask if you want to know B-Crews specific info.

---dens

hello,
rears eh, damper adjustment at top (24 points or something),
height - can be raised by winding up the spring perch,
you would also want to match the stroke of the shock.. its body is
threaded, so undo the locking ring and turn the body (of the shock) to raise or lower it.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"ah ok thanks dens for the clarifying. do you have a coilover setup on you micra(s)? could you let me know what brand you went with if so?

p.s. they shoulnt be called coilovers in the rear then hey

thanks, Joël

Got a set currently in each but I'm pulling the set out of my daily today as for daily driving it's not entirely comfortable and I just had them in for the track day. The ones i'm taking out are K-Sports (ex-littlebear + turtle) and the ones in my track car are the GAB revo stroke's (ex-turbomarch).

and no, they shouldn't really be called coilovers in the rear but since you normally buy them as a set with front coilovers, it generally means the rears will be more often than not, as adjustable as the front ones are.

---dens

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
cool,

thanks dens and mick for all the info! i must admit seeing all the RG racing gear stickers on the march cup cars does make me lust after a set of there coilovers but it looks like there are lots of quality ones out there

joel

Back