Loss of Coolant

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I checked everything yesterday morning before setting off to work and noticed there wasnt any coolant in the expansion bottle/tank. So filled it up and went to work (2miles from my house). Finished work and checked it,level was fine (above Max line as i accidently put too much in) Drove other side of the city to an Industrial Estate (6 miles) checked the coolant level and it was fine.

Left there and went back home (another 6 miles). In the evening i went out for a drive which was 25 miles,checked level and it was fine. Done abit more driving (say 5 or 6 miles) and stopped. Checked level again and half had gone.

So topped her up again with about 250ml of Anti Freeze and the rest with water (above the max line). Drove home (25 miles) and left it. Went out there today to check and it had gone just under the Max Line.

Now...i've checked all the radiator pipes,pipes coming from the Expansion Bottle and theres no leaks. Checked the floor at work,my drive way AND where i was parked last night,and there was no traces of coolant/water.

Checked the bottom of the radiator and its bone dry.Same with the plastic 'tray' that goes underneath the radiator

Any ideas?

It should move up and down tbf, unless its a resivoir...

If there is nothing leaking, then its a possible headgasket, but dont jump straigh to that...check around the water pump/cambelt area for leaks

dont you mean timing chain ;)

Anyhoo...just checked again now and level is max still. No leaks at the water pump or hoses. I know there should be coolant in the expansion bottle,but how much gets used? Is it gradual or in largish quantities?

the expansion level shouldn't vary too much, prob bout 1cm max between cold & warm. is ur exhaust smoking? if not then the coolants leaking somewhere when warm under pressure.

carefully check for the slightest leak with a tissue under each coolant pipe (after wiping it dry first) when the engines warm & running.

check areas like:
top rad, bottom rad
thermostat hose joint
bottom radiator hose/return pipe joint
hoses to & from heater matrix
o-ring seal from the return pipe to the water pump
heater matrix (wet carpet area or smell of damp antifreeze inside

my hoses/return pipe joint used to leak after a rebuild due to hardened water sediments on the pipe surface over the years. i simply clean/smoothed all the metal pipe join surfaces with emery cloth and stopped the leak

Remember that if it's empty and you fill it up, then that water has to go through the thermostat aswell, either by the little hole on it, or when it opens.

But if you're topping it up, then it's a bit more of a mystery. Have you done a system pressure test, and checked the pressure on the rad cap? Personally, I wouldn't be worrying too much till it goes under the min mark. Make sure both your expansion tank cap and rad cap are on properly.

when the thermostat opens when the engine is warm it will let water through to the engine so you will see a slight decrease it the water level.

Take the rad cap off start the engine and wait till its warm and see the water level drop then if it drops fill with water and let the bubbles dissappear as we dont want air in the system do we ;)

i noticed mine had no coolant in a few days ago. think its due to the weather....i topped it up with water and went again the next day,....topped it back up agian and its been fine. just keep an eye onit :)

When I had that problem I had a leak where the cooling fins at the bottom of the radiator, but it was just pooring out of mine when I did small distances, car warmed up quickly though, lol.

Back