loss of power

CMF_Adele

» CMF Member
Hi forum members and thanks in advance for taking the time to consider my first post to your esteemed forum.

The Background info;
I've had my 16v micra over a year now recently Mot'd it and have spent quite a lot on the car, god love her.

She's had 2 new wishbones and 1 new shock this year. A new fuel filter. Some work done on the sills. - I have not changed the oil in this time. 93.000 miles on the clock so she's been around the block a few times. Last week garage tested the compression – all fine. Spark plugs checked - all fine.

Ran out of petrol about 4 months back, plus over last couple month’s oil got very low indeed...Now fully topped up.

Trouble is that car is often losing power partially or completely, most likely at high speeds and on long journeys but could happen at any time.

Foot on the gas suddenly there’s nothing there mostly it kicks back in but sometimes dies to nothing, hazards on pull over to side, car stops and battery light comes on :-( I wait a few minutes and we are off again maximum power full speed ahead!

Thought problem solved when topped up oil as I had 3 weeks clear drives to work and back. These were short 5 mile journeys though, and come the monthly hundred mile trip to Yorkshire the problem returned.

Argh! 2 garages have been no help at all.

Have resorted to DIY approach.

Took off new fuel filter fitted 3mm flexi tube and blown down into fuel tank - it’s not clear though. Very hard to blow manually so I connected a T pump and used that for 5 minutes. Got up quite a lot of pressure!

(This method worked in my last G reg old stylee micra after similar problems. That time the blockage shifted with manual blowing)

So is it a fuel line blockage? or could it be some other problem like the engine or injection about to die? Is it my fault for driving too fast maybe?

Haven't had chance to see if my efforts last night have helped as I now have a new (simple) problem....

I knocked off the battery connecter whilst messing on with the fuel line. On reconnection the car alarm came on, gave me a proper shock I can tell you as I had no idea she was alarmed! Any idea how I can disable this in time for work on monday?

Thanks again for your knowledgable consideration of my problems.

Adele

Attachments

• 20603.jpg
    20603.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 43

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I cant offer help with the alarm. Its too hard to figure out what the deal is there over the internet. Have you any motoring clubs, RAC or something you can call and they can come out and disable it for a fee?

I suffer similar lack of power after cruising on the highway for a bit of time. It also is a little bit reluctant to start when this happens. I believe this is related to my airflow meter. I should pull it out and re-solder it - there's a possibility she is leaning out too much at highway speeds and this is fouling the spark plugs. This isnt too good for engine longetivity either as a lean condition is typically quite hot. Absolutely fantastic for fuel economy though. :p I would recommend trying the throttle body resoldering guide on this website.

The battery light - well I can't help you there but generally if that turns on while driving it indicates an electrical fault. COuld be related to the battery (you mentioned you knocked a terminal off - these should be tight and not able to be knocked off so easy) or the alternator (alternator wiring could be dodgey or the alternator itself is dying. I'm wondering if the battery light is totally unrelated to the loss of power and is just a conincidence?

Anyway I dont think you would have a fuel blockage either as you'd be suffering a lack of power constantly.

Oil consumption: its normal for an engine to use oil. Its also not uncommon for them to use oil especially after long runs on the highway at high speed. Just keep an eye on the oil level and keep a container with a few litres of oil in the boot just incase. What grade of oil are you using? You could put some 10w50 (or as close to that rating as possible, ie 5w50, 15w50 max) and that slightly thicker oil wont compromise lubing ability but might just make it a bit harder for the oil to get past whatever is worn out.

Goodluck.

CMF_Adele

» CMF Member
Great advice. Thank-you for your reply I feel you've diagnosed my problem precisely. I am no longer floundering in the dark and busting a gut trying to blow non existent fuel line blockages!

My engine is hot, idles noisily and loses power at speed. The air flow meter is surely the culprit.

These cost more than I want to spend so I will give the re-soldering a go. I'm inspired by the thread I found on this site https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/17746 'Micra almost stalling intermittently' where loads of people say how easy it is to do!

Lucky for me, my upstairs neighbour has a soldering iron so the job should cost me next to nothing.

Re the new alarm problem I’ll have to see if I can sort that first to make sure the car still goes after I blew air back into the petrol tank, and also as I need it to get to the shops.

Again thanks for pointing me in this direction, I'll certainly let you know how i get on. Also good luck with your re-soldering if you decide to go for it.

CMF_Adele

» CMF Member
nearly a week ago i resoldered the TB. Yes the job was easy. Myself and my friend did it together the only glitch was i left the silicone sealer (i used instant gasket) at my house so we had to drive back to get it. I pleased to say that i've had no problems since then.

Thanks again for micra saving advice!

Adele in UK

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
If you still have trouble with oil consumption just keep an eye out at the local scrapyards for micras which look like they're in good condition. A new micra engine with lower KM than your own will be cheaper than a rebuild to solve the oil consumption issues.

Great to hear that it sorted your problem. I really need to get off my backside and resolder my airflow meter!

Back