Long Journey

GuyH08

Ex. Club Member
This weeked i have to go on a long journey on my own, well its not really long, but longest iv been on since i passed. Its 90 miles, and i have never been on the roads before, its completely new to me. Im going down south to Eastbourne for work.

Its mainly motorways, and in in my k11

Anyone got any tips or things i might want to know or what may help me?

also im being payed 32p per mile :D so any ways to save on petrol so i make a profit :)

Thanks in advance!

With regards to the driving, just drive smoothly and don't try and rush past everyone. Stay at a sensible speed of say 60mph, which won't make you panic too much, and make sure you have space around you as much as possible - there's nothing worse than being boxed in by two huge lorries lol
You'll get used to it, don't worry :)

yeh im ok with motorway driving, just the thought of driving constantly for hours and dont want to loose concerntration :p

i need a d.i.y cruise controll :wasntme:

Take frequent breaks, the rattling of a K11 will soon start to make you mad! Did 300 miles in mine and i was ready to get out by the end.

Hull to London in the K10 Super S was worse!

I drove to Liverpool and back from south east London. I got there, stayed 20 minutes to get some stuff, then headed back. No breaks at all. I thought it was kind of easy, I had 3 hours sleep the night before. Thank god for tunnel vision, though. The seats get a little jarring.

Burn a couple of CD's of songs your really into, stick em in and have a sing along. Bottle of pop in't passenger seat (with a squeezy thing on end so you dont have to unscrew it) and i usually stick a lunch box full of crisps or biscuits in't passenger seat too if im going REALLY far. Stay around 60, dont bother trying to accelerate past that for stupid reasons like wanting to overtake when you dont need to and just enjoy the ride (Y)

Oh, and go to the toilet BEFORE you leave haha

32p a mile you should make a profit anyway... £28.80 for 90 miles in a car that does around 48mpg a gallon being about £5. All very approximated figures before anyone nags me!

Driving on the motorway is a doddle really, and I find my micra quite comfy on the long trips. I went from Southport (north of liverpool) to South London with no breaks and was fine when I got there.

Just don't panic and remember to check your blind spots when changing lanes!

Yeah try and keep the revs down, usually 60mph will save quite a bit of fuel compared to 70mph or higher! Don't "go with the flow!".. most people on motorways are doing 80+

I stuck to 70MPH easy, and got 47.3 MPG. Just don't hog the 3rd lane, or people will swear at you, which is really childish.

^^what Rob said^^...with emphasis on the bog visit before you head off!
I swear i was seconds from disaster on the way to Edinburgh last week...got to the services in the knick of time, running in...from the knees down! :laugh:
And i know it sounds like an instructor's rhetoric, but mirrors signal manouver every time (Y)

Yeah, I did Dundee to London in one sitting, literally, in a K11 and it wasn't too bad!

Just keep your cool, have snacks, music and drinks! :)

Funnily enough, I'm in Yorkshire right now and about to drive home, 3 hour journey for me! :)

Back