First long journey

jacb_1978

Ex. Club Member
Ok I am taking a trip to Cardiff tomorrow, 219 miles from Sunny Salford. This will be my longest journey to date (only been driving just over a month). I am doing the regular checks later today (oil, tyre pressure etc...) I have go the hotel programmed into my sat nav and the number for the RAc in my phone.

Any other advice?!?

i do a 300 mile round trip every weekend to see my girlfriend at uni,now thats dedication!! basically i think u have evrything covered, fuel,oil,water,screenwash are the basics, you could do a quick lights check, just stops you attracting attention from routine police checks if any lights are out. take some good music although the radio is pretty good during the day, some munchies and juice!! have a good one.

Make sure you go to the loo before you leave! It's not nice being stuck in traffic and badly needing to go. Don't hog middle lanes either! lol.

Good luck :)

Try and match your speed to the general traffic flow, far less stressful weaving in and out of lanes, overtaking people, letting someone overtake you, just chill back and you'll probably get there just as fast!

Generally, if I'm doing a long journey, I tend to take things slow also. I usually do 60-65mph on the dual carriageways to save fuel and not make me so stressed.
People can overtake if they don't like it! :grinning:

Good luck, you'll be fine! :)

Water, Lucozade (if you feel yourself tiring), Munchies.

Music, Ipod, etc.

Make sure the seat's are comfy and make sure you have sunglasses (if you have some) as the glare from the sun can be bad :)

Enjoy the trip! :D

Thanks for all the advice folks, as you can probably tell by me writing this I made it there and back in one piece lol. I was a bit nervous to begin with but I settled into it quite quickly. The only problems I faced were the sat nav conking out when we had just got on the M4 which meant stopping to pick up a road map, but we needed to top up on petrol anyway. The other problem was ignorant bloody drivers!!!

I had one guy in a BMW right up my rear at nearly 80 mph (I was overtaking a long line of lorries) flashing me and signalling me to move over, prat.

I did have one fun moment a guy in a sports car was stuck behind a lorry and I managed to overtake him and the lorry and you should have seen his face at being overtaken by a Nissan Micra, driven by a woman no less, he was not impressed lol. :grinning:

Anyway thanks again for the advice given much appreciated

when I get prats like the bmw driver I just let my foot slip off the accelerator for a second or two, it fair ***** them up, theres nothing like bad road manners to ruin a nice drive out.

Back