Locking Rear Brakes

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if its possible to lock the rear brakes on a K10? I mean on normal wet/dry roads not ice.

I think theres a pressure release valve in the brake lines somewhere but I dunno how effective it is...

Has anyone locked up the rears? Does the car spin?

Cheers.

I spun it at about 20 once in extreme wet conditions, the rear came out badly so yeah its poss

i done my k11 every time i come into the car park at work...wet or dray...get it in 2nd gear..... boot me foot down and lift off....handbrake and poweeeeerr!!!!!

but then thats not realy relavent...lol

if you have the benefit of a good hanbrake, just flick it up and you'll bring the back end around in no time. However, handbrake's vary that much, your might not be able to slow down the car much, let alone lock the wheels.

Well i am just considering putting my worn (approx. 2mm left) tyres on the back and the less worn (4mm?) on the front because I know how easily the fronts lock up. Ive locked the fronts plenty of times.

SAFETY:

loss of control on the rear is more difficult to intuitively correct...so i would always give your rears the best chance of keeping good traction if you have to choose between them

Why not splash out on a brand spanker pair....its certainly worth it considering that the tyres are the only thing that gives you the friction that is needed to change speed and direction.

and if you try this on brand new tyres, they often offen less grip than a slightly worn set.

as i have tried and proved when i got my alloys and lifted off coming into the car park..lol....again.... (and it is private property, dont want anyone saying its dangerous blaah and dangerous this that and the other...... and yes i can correct and hold a slide now after a sliding peugeot 309 nearly killed me i have visited many courses trying to learn how to FWD drift..lol)

after driving mine about tonight in the rain i couldn't provoke the back end to come round at all, then again i didn't use the handbrake (thats cheating:upside: )

I guess i am too used to the bm, slight tickle on the throttle on this certain (disused...honest) roundabout and out she came, eaven previous FWD cars could be provoked into lift-off oversteer here but not the micra, might have to flick the handbrake next time.

antony_aiken said:
and if you try this on brand new tyres, they often offen less grip than a slightly worn set.

True!..so dont try it....This is especially problematic on 2-wheels (and the consequenses are much worse ofcourse)...the answer is progressive driving/riding while the tyres get scrubbed in...then the grip of scrubbed in new tyres is better than the worn onnes though....especially in the wet...and it only takes a couple of hundred miles to get them scrubbed ...even less for the fronts (car)...opposite for bike

antony_aiken said:
i have visited many courses trying to learn how to FWD drift..lol)

why not try out your local skid-pan too, or trolley-car site?

Totally safe, you get proffessional instruction, it's wickid fun, and you don't get the locals stereotyping K10's for sliding around the streets/car-parks. you could try your local Police HQ..they sometimes offer courses for Joe-publc too and are enthusiatic that people wanting to 'get stuck in' in the propper environment

SammoHung said:
you could try your local Police HQ..they sometimes offer courses for Joe-publc too and are enthusiatic that people wanting to 'get stuck in' in the propper environment

Exactly what do you ask in the police station o_O

Im gonna get the tyres changed soon, just need a job and some better cash flow first!

stonesie said:
after driving mine about tonight in the rain i couldn't provoke the back end to come round at all, then again i didn't use the handbrake (thats cheating:upside: )

I guess i am too used to the bm, slight tickle on the throttle on this certain (disused...honest) roundabout and out she came, eaven previous FWD cars could be provoked into lift-off oversteer here but not the micra, might have to flick the handbrake next time.

So your deliberatly driving like an arse in order to get the back end out! Not impressive

sounds like hes just getting used to the car's handling to me.... seeing what it will do if something was to go wrong.....

obviously in the wrong cercumstances but still, its all about getting a feel for your car and if that means lifting odd the throttle around a round about (with no one arround) then wheres the harm?....... its not as if your gonna do any damage at 20mph.....and theres no guarentee that your car is even going to do anything..

its all about what they dont teach you when on a driving lesson.... how do you correct a slide? how can you avoid under steering into a tree? how can you prevent your car from lifting off around a corner on a crest and throwing you into a field and roling over three times!!!!!!....egherm..

but then...... sliding the rear out on your beemer is a little different.....thats just being lead footed

stonesie said:

lift off oversteers is very possible in a micra mine will do it even with the lowering and strut brace
lift of turn in then stab the throttle lift off stab it again lift off keep goin and round she will come just be ready to catch it.

Yep i was just getting used to the handling, i keep reading on here how snappy and unpredictable these K10's are but mine appears to be well behaved...... It had a pair of rear shockers just before i bought it so maby thats helping, i dont see a serious problem doing a few laps of a roundabout in the middle of an empty industrial estate, it's not like i have just passed my test and hooning round in rush hour:laugh:

antony_aiken said:
its not as if your gonna do any damage at 20mph......

Wrong! As you can read above, i spun it at 20. I didnt write this earlier but the front wheel mounted the kerb, and pretty much wrecked it. Needed all the tracking & stuff sorted out.

Also, when Ems & I were hit by the drunk driver, he was only going about 10mph - and it wrote off my car!!

Just because your going slow, doesnt mean damage cant be done.

Btw, i'l post your manifold next week lol.

Arnold

Saw a car going sideways once going less than 10mph I guess (with snow) and he hit the kerb with both tires. Ended up on the roof lol.

Doing one of those courses is loads of fun btw :D

antony_aiken said:
its all about what they dont teach you when on a driving lesson....

Agreed!

antony_aiken said:
how do you correct a slide?

How to AVOID a slide (treat the cause... not the effect?)

antony_aiken said:
how can you avoid under steering into a tree? how can you prevent your car from lifting off around a corner on a crest and throwing you into a field and roling over three times!!!!!!....egherm..

When driving on the roads, the idea is to use your brains and not your balls...
(no offence intended)

If you read the road ahead properly and adjust your speed & position for the curcumstances, then it is almost certain that you wont lose control (skid).

Most 'skid' oriented courses put a heavy emphasis on giving you the info and training that you need to avoid ending up in a skid in the first place.

Check it out....

http://www.skidcontrolcentre.co.uk/
http://www.intotheblue.co.uk/site/pages/-Skid-Control-33.aspx
http://www.met.police.uk/mpds/skidpan.htm
http://www.durham.police.uk/bikewise/pages/whatson/skidpancar.php

Back