Rear Brakes / Hub Nut

Afternoon,

I'm trying to change the rear brake shoes on my girlfriends car but running into a few slight issues!

I've pretty much managed to swap the shoes over without too many issues, although I have a random "L" shaped piece of metal left over - no big problem I'll just see where it goes when I do the otherside - however the brakes do look a bit different from the diagram in the haynes. For a start that "L" piece can't be seen and the haynes also has a u type return spring which is nowhere to be seen on our car.

Then I come to refitting the hub nut - Haynes says 44ish NM then move the wheel retorque, back of 90degrees and fit split pin. However our hub assembly is again different to the diagram (was there more than one type) instead of a washer, nut and retainer, there is just a big type washer in the drum that has a rectangular hole in it which sits in position on the axle stub, then a big nut with a built in washer and then the split pin just goes through the stub.

The car is definitly standard so I can only assume Nissan changed things and for some reason Haynes doesnt mention this? Does anyone know the process and torque setting for this hub arrangement as the nut didnt seem wound on anywhere near what is was before it came off using the haynes settings.

Thanks in advance,

a very confused Matt!

Micra 110

Site Supporter
I'm thinking you have a later model Micra 1989-1992?

From 1983 to 1992 there were several changes in the Model line up. The rear Brakes being one of them were altered in 1988.
The Hub you have is probably one where it has a fixed Bearing, this meaning that the whole Hub has to be replaced as one unit.

Haynes in their wisdom decided not to do a diagram of the later models although they do show 'some' photos of the later Drum brakes in the supplement part of the Haynes manual.

The Hub nut it should be 19 to 26 kgf m or 137 to 188 lbf ft

Normally it's done up finger tight and then 'tweeked up' with a spanner/torque wrench. If it's too tight then this will affect the longevity of the Bearing. The Hub will not come off with a split pin through the shaft.

As for the 'L' shaped Clip, that sounds like the adjuster toggle lever.

You've probably fixed it by now but if not do you have any photo's of the problem?

Cheers for the reply, indeed its a later car, 1990 on an H plate.

Seems to be fixed bearing so thats all cleared up, thanks for the torque setting, just what I was after.

I discovered that toggle lever bit on the other side so think I now have everything all in the right place - I also realised from looking at the Haynes that the u type return spring must have simply been replaced by the long spring connecting the tops of the shoes in front of the automatic adjuster.

Brakes are still awful and the handbrake doesnt work though, think the adjuster is not adjusting so looks like it'll be in pieces again at the weekend!

Micra 110

Site Supporter
That Toggle can be a bit of a mare, done a few jobs and still forgot which way up it went :doh:

...it'll get Interesting when you Jack the car up at the back as both wheels have to be removed as a rule but of course not always necessary :)

The car is definitly standard so I can only assume Nissan changed things and for some reason Haynes doesnt mention this?
Did you see the Supplement section 13.27 in the back of the Haynes manual which mentions the changes from 1988 for Rear Hub Bearings ?

My car has just beeen through an MOT, has a couple of braking faults & I'm looking through the braking sections of Haynes.

Will have to look at one of my rear wheel bearings as it failed on "feels rough when rotated".
Will look at brake shoes/drums first, in case they are causing problem.