Rear Drum Brakes Not Working

Hi All

As the title says, the rear brakes on my 1.0 K11c (no ABS) are having almost no effect. If I lift the rear and fully depress the brake pedal the rear wheels spin freely; not ideal obviously! This all started after my nearside rear was binding and so I tried adjusting it to make it free. It was fine at first but I went away for a week and when I came back, no rear brakes, even after adjusting until the drums only just fit on. I can see that the slave cylinders do move when I push the brake pedal, but I don't know if they're moving less than usual since I've never done this check on perfectly working brakes! The hand brake works fine and I can't see any leaks anywhere. The front brakes have also been a bit temperamental in the past, they were binding quite badly at one point, although replacing the pads seemed to rectify this. Complete loss of rear braking makes me think it might be the load sensing valve, but general brake problems cause me to mistrust the master cylinder. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I suppose I could just replace everything in sight, but I'd rather not have to if at all possible!

Thanks in advance.

Jim

OP
OP
J
Hi Frank

I had a look at the load sensing valve whilst my mate pumped the brakes, but I couldn't see any movement. Then again, from where I was looking (the wheel arch, I didn't crawl underneath) it wasn't clear to me where the pistons were. Could you describe the position of the pistons, then maybe I could try moving them directly.

Jim

OP
OP
J
Thanks a lot for the photos Frank. I've just had a look at the my valve. Are the pistons only visible after the rubber shield has been removed (i.e. are they vertical) or are they behind the body of the valve (horizontal)? At any rate, I couldn't see any difference with the brake pedal up or down, although it was a bit hard to tell since I was doing it all on my own. I had it up on ramps, if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
J
I might give that a try then Frank. How straightforward was it? That link you posted has the end results, but do you have more details anywhere? My car is all stock btw, do you think the delete would still be appropriate?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
If you jacked the car up and let the axle hang free it closes off the rear brake fluid line
Jack the car up via the axle and try that :)

But I've always said tp get rid of load valves. Changing brake bias isn't desirable