Question: Legal Cheating...... ;)

Hi guys, new to this forum so bear with me if i do/say anything wrong!!

I race on ovals over here in ireland, recently with 12 valve and 16 valve starlets. Lately its become quite clear that the micra is a far better car in terms of handling, weight and most importantly reliability (especially important when on a tight budget!). After 'borrowing' a car, which i built for someone else recently, and testing it out i have decided to build one for myself.
Have a couple of questions that i need some help with as racing today threw up a couple of issues which i want to sort for my own car.

I will be running in a production class, 1 litre, very limited modifications i.e head skim, flywheel. exhaust to remain standard cast item (visually at least) with de-cat.
The car i have just built for a young guy was fitted with 1.3 cams,flywheel lightened, de-cat, bosch super 4's but totally standard apart from that. It goes very well being so light (approx 550-600kgs) but i am pretty sure its leaning out at high revs, which is a problem when we spend most of the time between 6-8k

Fuel cutout is not an issue as the pump is wired direct via relay from ignition, i think i might get away with higher flow injectors but as we cannot run adjustable fpr's, fancy pumps or the like i want to know is there anyway at all i can increase the fuel pressure using any fpr's that appear identical to the standard cg one??

I am trying to compete with guys who spend 1000's building cars for a 'standard' class, they send away ecu's back to england to be tweaked etc and basically i just cant afford to do that!!. i am a mechanic by trade but to be honest, electrics just annoy the sh*it out of me so would really appreciate some straightforward plain english advice on getting the best out of these engines. i have heard that cam timing can be tweaked, would be interested in learning more about this as that style of tuning is much more up my street:D

Thanks for reading this, look forward to help you might be able to give!

Just to clarify a couple of things before i get any response, we run the cars with just the bare engine loom/ecu so no diagnostic ports to scan with, the lambda is still present so maybe an afr meter could be fitted if i needed it for reference. Rev limiter blanked. For my own engine i will probably aim for 11:1 cr, i think this is roughly 1.5mm of the head face but i will be checking that at a later stage. Can go higher if needs be but i cant really see much point in going too mad as im chasing reliability as much as grunt (arent we all hahaha). No porting allowed either

you could squash the top of the stock fuel reg down eh, (i used an airline gauge to test the blowoff presure on mine)
and i file a flat on the locating dowel to adjust the cam timing :)
is the speedo removed ?

speedo long gone, along with everything else...lol. Basically what your saying is to get a big punch to the top of the reg?? presume this crushes the spring inside it hence increases the pressure, bit dodgy but i'll try anything once hahaha

i hit a socket ontop, but not this much lol (the spring is now coilbound and still would,nt blow-off @ 100 psi

P5210060.JPG

i'll give it a go. just spent the whole afternoon reading the micro/maxi micra threads.....some food for thought in amongst it all. i especially liked the adjustable cam gears, very simple idea. Think a bit of tinkering with a spare engine is in order

Back