Learner driver - which Micra to buy?

I'm currently learning to drive (passed my theory) and want to purchase a 5-door Micra (1 litre engine due to cheaper insurance) so my dad can teach me to drive privately so I don't waste lots of money on many lessons, max lessons I want to take is 20.

I'd like to know when Nissan started to add power steering and ABS to the Micra as I really want these two features. Was it from R reg (1998) or S reg (1999)?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

Hey their erji, your pretty much inside the same boat as me (Except i've had about 30 lessons) and i have a 3dr 1.0 micra (Cheap insurance), my T reg is completely bare but i think 2000 models have them for definate, possibly late 1999 models

The first ones with ABS were the 2000 onwards SE and SE+ afaik.
Power steering was from standard during the first wave of facelifts, so Equation upwards has PAS.

I've actually had cheaper insurance quotes on 1.3 micras than 1.0 models for some reason (all 5 door)!

Really? I will have to see about the insurance,

But yeah definately 2000 have some of the more common features, my 1999 equation is completely bare.

Provisional though, very costly at the moment if your going down that route, full insurance for my 3dr (When passed will be roughly £1100 cheapest, so i will probably do pass plus too!)

Hello there, I got Micra SR with power steering and ABS. ABS is definitely a good feature to have even though it never kicked in yet. Power steering is waste in Micra. That car is so light that I actually find it a little dangerous to have. It makes the steering too sensitive. Especially on the motorway.

Got my k11 super s just yesterday no power steering or abs and its very sharp braking compared to the k10,
Steering even though it is non powered is still easy as hell. i wouldn't worry about it too much, would rather have a mint k11 with no P/S and abs rather than a rusty car with 'em.
Good Luck!

Same as mine then, its lovely, and the braking is phenominal, i've done emergency breaking too and to my suprise the wheels havent locked up at all because of the speed coming to a hault very fast.

I just thought about having power steering because the car I am learning in also has power steering even though it isn't a Micra.

Interesting about the 1.0l vs 1.3l insurance though as I thought it was more expensive to insure a 1.3l.

MrMigs08, I am 26 years old with a provisional licence so my insurance shouldn't be that costly (£1100) right due to age?

I just thought about having power steering because the car I am learning in also has power steering even though it isn't a Micra.

Interesting about the 1.0l vs 1.3l insurance though as I thought it was more expensive to insure a 1.3l.

MrMigs08, I am 26 years old with a provisional licence so my insurance shouldn't be that costly (£1100) right due to age?

well i did a crash course in a (dare i say it...) Vauxhall corsa one of the new shapes all the gizmos etc.
then drove my K10 which is about as upto date as a calculator lol and had no problems, so as far as a K11 is concerned you will have no troubles.
if you get the chance try and test a non-P/S one out you'll be suprised how easy they are to steer!

and i think everyone's first year of insurance is around a grand depending on where you live/age/etc. but should go down extremely fast with your age and some NCB.

Good luck! (Y)

Thanks for all the advice. I'll find some local Micra K11's and test them with and without PAS though I'm sure it won't be needed on a little 1.0L Micra :D

And no, I'm not skinny :p

Seriously as said before if u need power steering you shouldnt be driving. I was bought up with mini's and they certainly dont have power steering or abs haha:laugh:

My 2000 V reg has power steering and is nice when you fit bigger wheels but its just one more thing to go wrong in my opinion. same as abs.....I had it on my primera and it went faulty after all the snow we had.

The micra comes with 13" wheels as stock so u will be fine even if the whole car is totally standard with no eaxtra gizmo's.

As for insurance £1,100 is a ******** rip off.............................I was paying £400 fully comp for my fully modded 1 litre 3 door at the age of 18 back in 2006/2007

Jas :blues:

Its changed since the period when brittain had snowy/icy weather, apparently loads of young'ns crashed so thats why its 1.1k for me (This is on my own too because i want a no claims bonus built up.)

But prices spiralled out jas, even provisional :'(,

Feel free to reccomend me some insurance companies though :) cheapest i found were i think ensleigh and someone else.

At 26 eiji, your insurance should be a good price for definate.

Do not use comparision sites as they dont quote the full pemium of the quote.

Im currently with Direct-line Fully comp with modifications delcared and protected no claims for £386 a year. And im 23 (Y)

Also you can try HIGHWAY INSURANCE but they only go through adrian flux.....They was £388 tpft with non protected claims.

Hsbc are good for driving other peoples cars

Cooperative insurance are good if you have a joint insurance for married couples

:blues:

Well im 17, 18 in a few days, have a 1.0 micra, the internet is now telling me that insurance is 2k +.... you know my folks get it for 144 pound a year.... what on earth is going on :').

Guess i'll have to make some phone calls, i dont want to go on other peoples insurance because i wont build no claims,

No claims, cheaper prices is ideally what i want,

But this is rediculous...

Dont get no claims for that though (Atleast not anymore) i dont think,

(Sorry t hijack thread lol, will stop and talk more about it when i get a blog going :/)

Hi mate,

I'm in your position too, I've passed my theory but I haven't taken my test yet, BUT I do have a micra. I have a K11 R reg 1.3 GX, I have learners insurance, it's £242.50 for 84 days fully comp. It's with colling wood if you want to know. The insurance company wont let me be a named driver on my mums insurance, but at the moment my insurance once I've passed will be about 3k. As mine is the GX it's the luxury model with various features.

In the K11 section, look in the body parts and trims section what ever it's called, click on a thread called OneNation on my micra, and that's my K11 there.

Back