Used micra, 16k miles, few issues, not sure whether to buy?

We currently have a k11, however the CV joints are in bad shape, timing chain rattles, the body is appauling since buying and the clutch plates have nearly gone. After 20-30k miles in about 2 and a half years we think its time to let go :( Love the k11 though and would rather sink the money into one in better condition so we can look after it and hopefully keep her for many years to come.

Anyway one of the options we were looking at is a white Nissan Micra, N reg I think 1.0 manual with 16k miles on the clock.
Went to view her today, and she is beautiful! The bodywork is in great condition as well as the interior. She looks unmodified and pretty much new on the inside. The clutch is very low, my partner is concerned about this as ours is pretty much right at the top but I think that just means the plates have plenty of life in them, its also a hell of a lot more responsive. Feels strange to drive and not like our Micra at all (ours has 120k miles and clutch plates are pretty much dead). Is this normal? It also has 10 months left on mot, it almost feels too quick 2nd feels like 1st gear!

However, there a few problems which stopped me buying it, we were prepared to purchase today but after viewing I'm not so sure.
Firstly, the tires have next to no tree, all four are different brands, with the exception of the rear drivers side which is in very good condition. This strikes me as pretty strange, they should be the same both sides I thought? How much would all four replacements set me back? Might I better buying some alloys with tires preowned?
Secondly the sills, they didn't seem to bad, however some work has been done on them. There is a black sort of painted line over them, its bumpy sort of like tarmac but not sure if it is. This has always been an instant no for me as its usually been tarmaced to hide the rust and pause it for awhile. Its so well done that it looks good, lines are straight and matches the car, but still unsure.

Lastly, and most importantly, I know nothing of exhausts so this is where I really need advice. It sounds almost dry, maybe raspy. No rattles and its smooth accelerating but it just sounds disproportionate to the car. Our current Micra's exhaust is so quiet I've never even noticed it.
I went to inspect the exhaust, and its mostly rusted away! It seems tiny compared to other Micra exhausts I've seen, the diameter just looks too small.

Really hoping to get another soon, with our clutch so bad and needing the car for work we are pretty desperate :(
Cheers for any advice in advance!

Sounds like the clutch just needs a bit of adjustment to bring it up the pedal. Check the bodywork with a screwdriver to see if there are any nasty's under the black stuff. Buy part worn tyres if needs be, Exhausts are cheap enough. Offer £150/ £200 that's enough for that registration.

Cheers For the reply,
If theres not an immediate problem with the clutch we will probably just get used to it, although ill certainly give it a go as it seems to bother my partner if we buy it!
Checked it over with my hands and all seems pretty smooth underneath, its definitely been done professionally whoever did it, just a shame they didn't replace it with metal as it really would be a nice classic, I noticed the paint above the sills was bubbled slightly too.
Does it sound like a problem with the exhaust then or would it last for say a few weeks with no major damage? As stated I don't know much about them, it all looked fine beyone the muffler part I think its called, but the muffler itself was tiny, I'm not even sure it was the stock one, perhaps it is and most micras have had them replaced? Idk...
Anyway there asking £499 for it, pretty sure I could knock them down but how much idk.
The links here as they have them on ebay, would appreciate if you could have a quick glance and see it ifs worth it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Mi...14000-MILES-/201427767242?hash=item2ee607cfca
Other option I have is buying of a member on here,
I'm in contact with 3, but there a little hesitant to sell and not sure on a date (who wouldn't be if there a member on here, they love micras and theres is in good condition!) One is a definite sale however its a little far but might make it anyway. Mileage is a lot higher, this car I'm looking at is rather bland compared but the bodywork is very tempting. Would rather buy of a member however as I know everyone on this forum will have looked after there car. Prices seem to be between £500-800 though.
Again thanks for the input :)

Had a look at that, garage price, the £90 is for knocking off, and the price is reflecting the low mileage.
They would have got that for a song, cleaned it up, and added quite a few pennies on.
For that money you can get a lot newer than that. High-ish miles don't really matter on these cars, they can go for ever.
My advice.....shop around.
Search the forum and you will find good advice on what to look for when buying.....good luck.
Have a look on the for sale section on the forum.

pollyp

Club Member
here's a checklist of what to look for
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/what-should-you-watch-for-when-buying.53060/#post-543294

split CV boots only few quid to replace.
if it's clicking under full lock then yea either the joint needs replacing for bout £20 or just get a used driveshaft for the same price, direct fit.

timing chain normally rattles for 3sec during cold starts but if it still rattles when warm, either the chain tensioner oil supply hole is clogged from poor service, or the engine head's been skimmed too much making the chain too slack beyond the tensioners range, or the chain has stretched (rare).

as the clutch plate wears thinner, the bite point could get higher till it's beyond the pedals rest point making it slip and wear out the release bearing.
it's always recommended to annually check & adjust the clutch cable tension via the beercap end adjuster under the battery till the bite point's between 1/4 - 1/2 way off the floor.

jeez 14-16k on a 10yr micra it's basically stayed in a showroom forever.
engine mileage reliability ain't a prob cos with proper regular service history they go forever.
also note that cars which stand around for yrs with little service or use will still degrade/seize and could just be as bad to fix later.
it's mostly rust which kills most micras.

the low bite point on a fresh clutch plate is normal, see if the beercap cable adjuster can be tightened any more till the bite points 1/4 - 1/2 way.

the black rubbery sill coating is stonechip paint, a universal common practice after welding sills cos it's easy/cheap/hides imperfections and protects the sills. you could wirebrush the stonechip off and repaint it with matching paint but costs money and just highlights the weld job that most micras will have.

the standard micra exhaust is normally the size of a guys err thumb and very quiet. sounds like the white LX has a blowing exhaust but replacements are only few quid plus gaskets.

the mixed tyres is abit iffy cos they are always #1 priority for safety.
it's barely ok if ur ONLY gonna be sneaking it slowly round to the corner shop but when cruising 60+ mph in all conditions as most ppl do, it's abit of a hazardous gamble if the worse case happens.
you should always get the best tyres you can afford and fit the same one all round, it just makes the car so much better overall.

imo for a very basic spec 10yr micra with dodgy tyres and some welding, £500 seems abit steep, even with the ultra low mileage. you can get a good top spec SLX for that.

Thanks for the reply guys!
Think ill look round for other micras then,
However if our current one brakes down I don't think its worth saving and we need a car urgently for work. I can attach pictures at some point perhaps but the exterior is in terrible shape and too many little things wrong with the car. Will be sad to see her go as under the bonnet its pretty much perfect.
Pollyp do you think its worth checking the clutch cable on our current micra? The bite point is right near the top, it slips and often feels out of gear, struggles to accelerate occasionally, pretty sure its the plates and whole clutch might as well be replaced, still drove okay however yesterday it started making a really bad rattling sound as if something is loose. Afraid to drive it at the moment, only have the old seized jack however and cant get underneath it safely. Nothing appears loose and the sound is coming from around the gearbox/clutch (I assume they are near each other, middle of the car?)
Also, could I send you a message with a few micras on the trade forum I'm looking at im struggling to find a fair price to offer for them.
Thanks

Sorry, but if in doubt walk away.

There are lots of Micras out there for sale, spend a few more shekels and get one without the baggage.

I bought the yellow 3 door for £300 I think, nothing wrong with is aside from some peeling lacquer.

Don't buy a load of work off someone.

Just my opinion of course! ;)

C.

pollyp

Club Member
Thanks for the reply guys!
Think ill look round for other micras then,
However if our current one brakes down I don't think its worth saving and we need a car urgently for work. I can attach pictures at some point perhaps but the exterior is in terrible shape and too many little things wrong with the car. Will be sad to see her go as under the bonnet its pretty much perfect.
Pollyp do you think its worth checking the clutch cable on our current micra? The bite point is right near the top, it slips and often feels out of gear, struggles to accelerate occasionally, pretty sure its the plates and whole clutch might as well be replaced, still drove okay however yesterday it started making a really bad rattling sound as if something is loose. Afraid to drive it at the moment, only have the old seized jack however and cant get underneath it safely. Nothing appears loose and the sound is coming from around the gearbox/clutch (I assume they are near each other, middle of the car?)
Also, could I send you a message with a few micras on the trade forum I'm looking at im struggling to find a fair price to offer for them.
Thanks

yup check ur current clutch cable adjustment since it's free to do before considering spending any cash.
loose thin metal clangy sound is usually a rusted old heatshield cover (can rip those off since they're not essential) or a snapped gearstick return spring (if the stick doesn't centre itself or it clangs against the heatshield when u shake the stick left/right)

u can post the list of cars here or pm and we'll have a quick glance.

yup check ur current clutch cable adjustment since it's free to do before considering spending any cash.
loose thin metal clangy sound is usually a rusted old heatshield cover (can rip those off since they're not essential) or a snapped gearstick return spring (if the stick doesn't centre itself or it clangs against the heatshield when u shake the stick left/right)

u can post the list of cars here or pm and we'll have a quick glance.

Brought a cheap Corsa in the end for the misses to use, will work on our current Micra as she wont be using it for work every day, see if shes fixable and buy myself another perhaps in the following months, much easier to find a better one if your not rushing!
The rattling sound is annoying, and I found it hard to pinpoint through a google search as it could be a number of things, finally got a few hours to look at her and found it was the heatsheild, you must be psychic to be able to diagnose that from my description :D
Will try and adjust the clutch cable, cv joint is rattling to but have a new cone to fit and will try cleaning/greasing.
Cheers for the help all

andy

Ex. Club Member
Brought a cheap Corsa in the end for the misses to use, will work on our current Micra as she wont be using it for work every day, see if shes fixable and buy myself another perhaps in the following months, much easier to find a better one if your not rushing!
The rattling sound is annoying, and I found it hard to pinpoint through a google search as it could be a number of things, finally got a few hours to look at her and found it was the heatsheild, you must be psychic to be able to diagnose that from my description :D
Will try and adjust the clutch cable, cv joint is rattling to but have a new cone to fit and will try cleaning/greasing.
Cheers for the help all

corsa c ? if need any info,help with anything,problems, give us a shout, got one me self :eek: