Leaking oil from Gearbox breather.

The wifes micra appears to be blowing quite a lot of gearbox oil out of the gearbox breather pipe, I have removed the pipe and checked that its not blocked (which its not) but its still doing it, I had to put 1 litre of oil in the box yesterday to bring it back up to full level. Any ideas what could be causing this as its just started happening since she did a run to sheffield last week (round trip of about 90 miles), the cars only done 26,000 .

Cheers.

hi fallwood

that,s unusual eh, perhaps it,s getting too hot ?, i think i would raise the breather pipe up, and fit a see-through fuel filter on the end, so as to monitor it, and it might drain back in

Drained the box and re-filled it with the correct amount (2.6L) and put a catch container on the end of the breather, just have to wait and see what happens.

Well the gearbox oil problem seemed to be ok until my wife went on another motorway trip last night, same thing again, oil blowing out of the breather pipe and a small pool on the floor in the morning.

I've already removed the breather pipe and cleaned it thoroughly, the only bit I didnt clean was the rubber gromet part that is on the gearbox that the breather pipe connects to, I tried to pull it out but it didnt seem to want to shift, could it be this bit thats bunged up, how does it come out.

Cheers.

Back