Leaking Gearbox??

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
I took it for MOT and a service done... they said:

"Your gearbox leaks a little"

*cue shocked look*

"Dont worry its nothing dangerous... just happens if you leave the car standing for too long, say 4 days."

Thats odd... I drive it on alternate days and sometimes everyday... and not once have I noticed a stain of any sort on the drive way... I wonder where it is leaking from and if I should do something about it... is it a common problem? Its only done 19k so far...

Last time this cowboy said my rear brake cylinders were leaking a little... next thing you know the inhibitor has shut off the back brakes. Hmmmmphh

sounds like a load of crap, they are just trying to make you worry so that you spend money with them

I wonder where it is leaking from and if I should do something about it... is it a common problem?

it's possible to be leaking from the driveshaft seals or from the selector shaft. best thing to do is look under car and try and see where it's coming from. maybe wipe off any oil and see where it comes from.

yea check the gearbox for any signs of oil, this happened to me and was the seal, only costs about £10 and then someone to fit it for you but then again mines was leakin constantly so they may be lying

^Could be.. because it only had one previous owner who hardly drove it and did not service it for 4-5 years. It spent most time parked on tall grass so developed some rust beneath... When I brought it for 2k with 14k on the clock... service time came... the airfilter was blocked... sparks were gone... battery was half dead... oil was filthy... oil filter, fuel filter, brakes, you name it... tyres were cracked and had bulges...

Anyhow... trolley jack and axle time... will investigate the leak...

Thanks

Anyhow... trolley jack and axle time... will investigate the leak...

Thanks

it should be easy to see the problem, and the driveshaft seals are quite easy to do if it's that. but not sure on the selector shaft as i've never done one of these, just seen them leaking from there.

Back