Oil breather filter installment

So I got an oil breather filter with my Pipercross induction kit and was wondering a.) how to install it and b.) if it would make any difference? I know that on 'modern' cars they have an oil breather pipe which does precisely the job that the oil breather filter would do, so would it make much of a difference to have an open air filter instead? Also, when installing the filter would I just have to remove the oil breather pipe, vacuum seal the end that goes to the air intake and then put the breather filter on the end coming from the crank-case? And which pipe is it??? D: thanks

1377904005414.jpg

1377904027764.jpg

1377904049505.jpg

Hope these are what your looking for :)

The breather pipe is removed from the old air box and not needed k&n on top and the breather put on the rocker cover breather.

So I can see a pipe running into the engine just below the airbox, would that be the oil breather pipe that i'd have to remove?
From the sounds of it yes as long as the other end is connected to the cam cover.
Are you running your filter direct on the trottle body like mine or piping it to the front?

I'd like to just replace the breather pipe with the filter and a vacuum seal. At the minute the induction kit is taking the place of the air filter and the air box but there is no feed line onto the kit that would suggest the oil breather pipe should be connected to the intake kit like it is on some cars.

The top picture shows your matrix pipes
The second picture shows your brake servo pipe and an oil breather pipe on the bottome of that triangle
3rd picture I cant quite make out but I see a water pipe? going to your throttle body

Yup that's the oil breather. It will be attached to the cylinder head somewhere :)
Which picture is it in... trying to decipher them all

Looks like another vacuum, breather pipe of some description
Try and get me a better pic of it :)
Yup that's your oil breather :)

It flows from cylinder head to inlet. You can't vent it to atmosphere as that's an mot failure. So you have to put the on the throttle body side of the pipe. I'd bung the manifold hole up afterwards

Yeah, ive got an oil breather filter from pipercross that im gonna use :) how would you recommend bunging it? Because ive searched around for vacuum seals but no one seems to have them

I've got the engine head cover off and on the lid there's a metal servitor and not much else ..... I don't think it'll reveal much but ill show you anyways
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG

If you look at the top right of that bottom picture you can see a metal tube coming up out of the engine block with some rubber wadding in it: this connects to a small protruding cylinder on the bottom of the plastic cover which sat over the fuel injectors and has one side that is open to the airbox chamber and there's a liquid which smells like train steam which im assuming is oil. Is it possible that they integrated the oil breather into the manifold without the use of a pipe because of where the airbox is sat on the engine?

Right, so break this down for me: what am i looking at in all of these pics? haha I can't claim to be a car enthusiast and a modder if I don't know what everything besides the fuel injectors are :p and the breather pipe would go at the end with the bump or the other end?

You've got coil packs instead of traditional ht leads and coils.
Dunno what else to tell you
The big silver bit is the engine :p

I'm back with another question: say I wanted to put an oil catch can in ...... would this splice into the PCV valve hose rather than the crankcase breather hose, or would it splice into the breather hose, or am i getting this all very wrong .....?

All very right. Any item that expels vapor from the engine. Be it pcv or breather are all suitable for a catch can :)
Stick it on the pcv

So, the next challenge is to find the PCV valve ...... hahaha any tips? :p and the oil breather hose is taking air from outside and sucking it into the crankcase to flush out vapours, right?

One is in. One is out... when up to temp they can both go out. As the pressure is lower outside rather than inside.
Your little oil breather will have oil inside to show they go both ways :)
Pcv is still the best bet for a catch can

Hmmm I'll have a snoop around tomorrow and look for it ....... now, picking a catch can; does the catch can have to be engine size specific, or will a catch can for a K12 Micra work for any engine size, or will even any catch can work for any car?

Back