Leaking/Burning Oil

OK a little update here (despite hitting the deer...)

about 550 miles and another litre of oil later:

I decided to check the valve clearences on Monday, because it was sounding a little tappy. On a note of interest, once the car is warmed up it was puffing smoke on idle again. Havent looked since doing the valves.

Attached to this post are some images of underneath the rocker cover, and of the gasket. I adjusted all the gaps according to the manual and the engine is sounding so much better! I took the opportunity to take better spark plug photos, and decided...

There is no oil on the spark plugs

I had a really decent look and im darned sure of it. The images are in order, 1 to 4. And I lay them down next to each other 1 to 4 in picture 5.

I also adjusted the timing so that is correct (it was in the right position anyway).

Attachments

• P1040847.JPG
    P1040847.JPG
    577.2 KB · Views: 200
  • P1040841.JPG
    P1040841.JPG
    834.8 KB · Views: 325
  • P1040838.JPG
    P1040838.JPG
    915.1 KB · Views: 216
  • P1040839.JPG
    P1040839.JPG
    779.6 KB · Views: 217
  • P1040860.JPG
    P1040860.JPG
    702.5 KB · Views: 206
  • plug1.JPG
    plug1.JPG
    748.5 KB · Views: 209
  • plug2.JPG
    plug2.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 197
  • plug3.JPG
    plug3.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 201
  • plug4.JPG
    plug4.JPG
    604.4 KB · Views: 207
looking at http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4026&d=1146603883 i can see that there is oil to the right of the engine where the cover sits on. this should be silver like the rest of the top of the engine and indicates that oil is getting out here! this could be your leak.. i have EXACTLY the same problem you are getting, although not as much oil is being lost, i am getting the smokey business as well. if the smoke is white then its prob ok. if its BLUE and u get oily residue if u put some paper up against exhaust outlet then your burning oil. can you tell me what you have done so far to try and solve the prob, I will do the same to my motor and see if this helps. Cheers mate!! keep the good advice coming!!

Thanks for that observation actually because that reminds me I need to check the cam belt, it might wear faster with oil on it right?

Also, I can change the gasket too which will hopefully improve that. I guess alot of the leaking oil will be hidden under the belt cover if this is the problem.

p.s. I took that photo before wiping the seal area with a rag. So i'll take off the cover again and see if the oil is back.

Thanks again.

Hi All.

Just to add to this, recently I used some Redex in my cylinders......

Added around 25ml (probably a bit less) to each cylinder (the bottle recommends 50ml, but theyre only wee li'le things.). Turned the engine over etc, followed the instructions. Drove round looking like a #### with my car on fire (lots of smoke :p)

And now its done, for a 1 hour job im quite happy! The engine *seems* to be smoother, but perhaps thats my perceptions or expectations. Dunno if it burns less oil yet, I havnt checked but I topped it up to the max so I should know soon.

So, if you wanna take a risk, try Redex :laugh:

Turtle said:
Hi All.

Just to add to this, recently I used some Redex in my cylinders......

Added around 25ml (probably a bit less) to each cylinder (the bottle recommends 50ml, but theyre only wee li'le things.). Turned the engine over etc, followed the instructions. Drove round looking like a #### with my car on fire (lots of smoke :p)

And now its done, for a 1 hour job im quite happy! The engine *seems* to be smoother, but perhaps thats my perceptions or expectations. Dunno if it burns less oil yet, I havnt checked but I topped it up to the max so I should know soon.

So, if you wanna take a risk, try Redex :laugh:

Been there..HAHAHAA...huge lolz!

hillarious from one point of view (**** dastardly / wack racers)

...but somwhat hazardous from a visibility point of view for anyone using the same streach of road before the smoke clears...

I got the same "runs smoother" perception too

Keep us posted:)

have you checked your valve seals arent goosed? get your friend to place his hand over the exhaust tip and you rev the nuts off the car, if he has little bits of oil on his hand then your valve seals will be goosed.

if your friend refuse's to get covered in oil. use a younger member of your family lol

Back