Leak in front passenger footwell...! Can anyone help?

CMF_Borat

» CMF Member
G'day everyone! Just picked up a 95 Super S in fairly good nick just a couple days ago. Never owned one before and didn't know too much about them but absolutely stoked with it! Very happy indeed... Only one problem: Have found a leak in the passenger footwell. Water seems to be trickling through somewhere behind the dash/glovebox area making the carpet wet. Have had it parked outside in the rain the last couple days. Took it to a mechanic today who had a bit of a check and said it could be either coming from the heater/aircon OR theres a leak somewhere on the windscreen. Contacted previous owner who said that it was usually kept under cover and only very rarely had a damp smell. Has anyone experienced anything like this with their Micra? Any help at all would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
ummmm yes i did.
it wasn't from rain. it ws from the heater core. it had to be replaced. Nissan had it for 4-5 days and it cost a ^*(^load. but lucky for me it was all under warranty.

i hope for your sake its not this, but it sounds just like what i had happen to me.

CMF_1300supers

» CMF Member
Have already that.. its a common fault on 94 and 95 micras it looks...

but have it for about 5 or 6 times and then stopped... and only appears when it rains... but now dont appear anymore and i didnt do anything... STRANGE!

never thought it was the heater!!!!!!

CMF_Borat

» CMF Member
thanks heaps guys! very much appreciated!

yeah it doesnt seem to be too bad and there hasnt been any smell yet. i guess i'll find out for sure when the weather dries up. hope it aint what youse are sayin with the heater core...

thanks again!

CMF_Borat

» CMF Member
"have you got airco? if yes the drain of the airco is to short happens ol the time in the netherlands. wil make some pics how to make it ok"

thanks [underconstruction] look forward to the pics...

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I don't see how it can be the heater core or anything related to the AirCon if it only happens when it rains.

If it was related to the aircon or the heater system it would happen constantly wouldnt it?

CMF_Borat

» CMF Member
no problems with overheating.

yeah im a bit confused... had the aircon running all day yesterday and today very hot day (500km+ running around looking for a car for the missus) and no problems no dampness/leaking. couple days ago checked the car in the morning (raining) after a night of rain and no dampness/leaks.......???

seems to come and go.

dunno whats goin on.

CMF_queazocotal

» CMF Member
Taking off the fascia.
This is how I removed the fascia on my (RHD!!) model.
I assume LHD is similar.
If the fascia is one large bit of plastic.
Remove all plastic trim in the area.
Remove front pillar trims.
Remove tweeters.
Remove instrument cluster.
Undo radio, and all things next to it.
Now, push the rear-window demister and flasher switches out from behind the panel.

Undo the trim down the inside of the front of the front door-holes, to get to the screws at each side.

Now, remove all screws from around the fascia, including two hidden at the front under flaps.
(they are not all quite the same, so keep notes).

Now, with the fascia free, remove the ignition switch covers, and the stalks.
cover the wheel with a towel.
lift the fascia up, while tilting the bottom out.
Now, rotate into the passenger seat, to clear the wheel - with a bit of bending of the plastic.

Now, you've got a clear view of the area, and can see your leak.

Reassembly is 'simply' the reverse.
Notice the registration pip and hole in the middle of the top under the screen.
This can be easily seen with a mirror, or a helper.

CMF_Borat

» CMF Member
thanks! very much appreciated!

havent actually tried to remove everything yet to find the leak because there hasnt been any dampness of late! dont understand... ive checked the carpet for wetness the last week or so and theres been nothing! hmmm. oh well i guess its fingers crossed it never comes back.

thanks again to everyone for their helpful comments!

CMF_Joao

» CMF Member
Hi micrafriends, i have the same problem now. Anyone have pics to i see how can i repair de leak in front passenger? please

thanks joao, Portugal

CMF_BemerTriple

» CMF Member
Hi, I've just got a K11 in with exactly the same problem, not the heater matrix and not the aircon, I took it apart and it would appear that there is no leak, just water getting in through the air system intake, which is under the scuttle plate, to the right of the wiper motor. The hole is a good 6", and open, so easy for water to get sucked it.
Like I said, there's no leak, just water getting in through a hole that is present by design. The water then comes through the fan box, and into the pollen filter housing, pools in the bottom of the filter housing and then leaks out into the cabin, soaking the carpets.

Now surely this isn't supposed to happen by default, so how did Nissan prevent this problem from the factory?

any thoughts welcomed.

Richard

CMF_MicGreen

» CMF Member
there are two small plastic parts which support the front window, and in my car the passenger-side part was the cause for the leak.. its seal wasn't tight so the rain water came trough it inside.. you must take the wipers away and the black air intake cover and then you'll see them.. in my car those little parts was green, don't know if they are same colour in all Micra's.. i put lots of sealing mass aroundd it, and now there is no leak.. :D

Back