Passenger side leak

cj_uk

Site Supporter
Hi folks,

This is gonna be long winded, so please bear with me. Please note this car does NOT have a sunroof.

The other halfs 2001 Micra has delevoped a water leak on the passenger side. I've read most, if not all the posts regarding leaks whilst raining (the water in the footwell is fresh, not from the matrix). I removed the plastic scuttle and found that the plastic clip (green one) that's on the bottom of the screen had rusted through the scuttle, I've repaired and sealed it, I've also removed the plastic scuttle clips as the rubber grommets had perished and sealed them in with sikaflex. I have also run sealant around the bottom of the windscreen, just incase.

So, looking inside the metal box under the plastic scuttle, I can see the air intake for the blower, with a torch looking at where this box meets the inner wing/A pillar (behind the mud shield) on the N/S, the drain hole was full of mud/plant debris, I managed to scrape most of it loose and flushed it out with water. After this, the car still leaked, it's dripping down from the inner wing/A pillar side of the footwell.

I decided to remove the N/S wing to get a better look a couple of weeks ago. The inner wing has fluted tubes (want for a better description) at the top part. The metal box under the plastic scuttle panel, drains through this panel (hope that makes sense), just under this drain, the inner wing/A pillar had rusted way. I repaired and sealed this, unfortunately the car still leaks.

With all this inmind I think I now need to remove the dash and then the blower box to get a look from the inside. Can anyone please advise me how to remove both these items.

Sorry for the short novel but thought I'd give you as much detail as possible.

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cj_uk

Site Supporter
The attachment below is an example and a picture I borrowed from another thread, please ignore the red circles.

The area in yellow is where it had rusted through, the area in green is where the blower intake area meets the inner wing/A pillar and where the drains are.

If I pour water over the top of the green area, I then see water dripping inside the car. This leads me to believe that there is rust in the drain area, but thats only my opinion

upload_2016-1-11_13-18-41.jpeg

Last edited:

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
under the plastic where the wipers are is a hole needs filling and the others while your at it. I used instant gasket with mine.see after that if continues.

OP
OP
C

cj_uk

Site Supporter
Hi, thanks for your reply, I've already sealed the clip locators as the rubber gaskets had perished. Its within the big hole where the blower intake is what I'm concerned with. I think, due to mud being there, its rotted against the n/s inner wing/bulkhead. I'm after tips on removing the dash and then the blower and box behind the glovebox. This is so I can get a good look ats whats happening, hopefully

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
Only way sounds like. when removing the steer wheel disconnect battery for half hour .wheels straight.dont disturb what's behind the wheel.tape the ribbon spool up so it doesn't move. I try keep my head turned a little or out the way the air bag blast direction.

Hi good night u saw your post and I'm having that same prob I did most of what you said cleaning drain holes e.t.c and still leave so like you said I would like to remove the dash to get a better look. I was getting water down the blower hold in the scuttle to so when I look through the clove box where the door opens above the blower the water was leaking down on top of that metal plate. I got the scuttle welded back but water is coming down that pilla on the left side and water still on the carpet. Did you managed to get it sorted cause I didn't as yet.thanks