Lcd Tv's - Which One?

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
I know this is a car forum but i'm sure many of you will have a LCD or plasma and I'm finally going to make the jump myself.

The budget is no more than £1k and I'm after a large screen (40+"). Does anyone know of a good guide site or have any recommendations?

Toshiba, LG, Samsung and Panasonic all should now be offering full 1080P HD screens for under £1k.

Personally I have a 32" Samsung :)

Edit: Wilsonian that's a Plasma not an LCD, is it what you want?

My mate has a Samsung one and its gone wrong three times within 2 months of owning it. He's finally managed to get it replaced for an LG!

Edit: Wilsonian that's a Plasma not an LCD, is it what you want?

Well I'm not sure, i'm just atfer a 40+" screen for my 360. James recommended plasma but i've read the life of LCD's are greater. Although I do want to avoid blurring screen on fast action parts so the response rate has to be good.

I have been researching this for AGES mate and got all the mags in the world.. in the end I got a 37 Inch Samsung Full 1080p HD with all the movie plus engine and dnie system etc for £800 in a shop in london called hifi confidential (google it.. V good site) .. HIGHLY reccommend this shop they are MUCH cheaper than anywhere .. I have wired this up to a PC and downloaded some 1080p movies and OMG what amazing quality its got..

also make sure when u try them out you watch basic freeview as this is what your gonna watch 90% of the time and some hd tv's concentrate on hd too much and screw up basic tv pictures... The samsungs are renowned for providing great standard definition tv as well as HD ..

Good luck mate... oh and a 37" lcd WILL go in the back of a K10 lol!!!

everyone rants and raves about full HD but to be honest for the average person you wont notice much difference between 1080i or 1080p also the only way you are getting 1080p is with a blu-ray or hd-dvd player :p

completely agree with courior, I have a samsung 1080i, its only in a small room and was mainly for use as a dual screen as I do a lot of music editing and wanted a nice screen for movies etc :p

classic error though, bought it, looked amazing, plugged it in and freeview ruined my life!!! haha, so much so I went out and pre-ordered a ps3 before they came out as blu-ray players were more expensive at the time. anyway as good as blu-ray is who wants to pay 20odd quid a time for most new films :( its definitely a lot easier to just download stuff but I was being impatient as I was at uni at the time and thus unable to download.

Long and short of it, if you can get a 1080p for 800 then do it, especially if its samsung, samsung make some really nice screens plus their design team at the moment seem to be coming up with some sweeeet stuff! failing that then a 1080i will be fine for the next 5years until anything is broadcast in it!! most are 720p at the moment, so its only if you have a hi-def player you'll get the 1080p.

ps. also as a side note, I bought mine and within 4 weeks a friend ruined it!!! they were pratting about with keys and they ended up flying at the screen and now theres two sections where the screen is damaged and thus has dead pixels!!!! gutted!!! hoping samsung may replace it but looking more likely my insurance premium will go up!!! :p

You dont need a HD DVD player or a PS3/bluray player.. you can download quite a few HD movies off the net now.. ok ok ok i know they are 22+GB each but hey they look fiiiiiiine lol!!! (need a new hdd soon lol)

EDIT: and just like our fine nissan vehicles... samsung is above all.. JAP!!! go get one!!

Hi Paul, best thing come down to my place (Currys) and check them out...

we run the same demo on all TV's side by side so you can see the quality, depth and contrast...

As some have said, people bang on about 1080p full HD blah blah blah... the truth is its upto you... add up all the cost of having a type; then decide if its worth it for you...

you pay like a third more to get Full HD and then most people use Freeview and regular dvd's... Granted if you are a gamer then the enjoyment is there... but for 80% of our customers 720p is more than enough.

Sky-HD is a rip aswell, really not worth the money, but the quality is huge difference, they just need to be cheaper...

TV wise in order i rate

1. Toshiba
2. Panasonic
3. LG
4. Samsung

* Sony have the quality but are way too pricey (did not make my list),
* Do not buy Sharp, Philips, Hitachi, JVC or cheap branded you'll just cry 6months down the line...
* Toshiba have great models (tad expensive) and good enough models (fair price) so choose carefully 10/10 for reliability,
* Panasonic are mint tv's just not enough choice, fairly priced and again 10/10 reliability,
* LG beautiful sets, brilliant price good range of stylish DVD Rec/HTK available highly rate them...
* Samsung are definately the most popular brand since we actively started to sell LCD tvs, they are like LG;beautiful sets, brilliant price good range of stylish DVD Rec/HTK available BUT and a big BUT is id rate them as 8/10 for reliability... usually get 1in5 back in saying they have little niggly problems but Samsung are quite good at first blaming the customer, then us then end up swapping it lol...

Factor in costs Stand, dvd htk etc…

if i was to buy now it would be one of the following...

LG 37LC46 37" HD Ready digital LCD TV http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=12&sm=0&tm=0&sku=741348&category_oid=-30633

Or
PANASONIC TH37PX70 37" HD Ready digital Plasma TV
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...duct&fm=12&sm=0&tm=0&sku=742220&category_oid=

Arite fella, forgot all about you working at currys. It's going to be at least another month while I save up so I'll pop in closer to the time.

Thanks for the advice chaps :D

I cannot believe Pioneer have not been mentioned! They are major innovators of large scale tv's. I have a 42inch plasma from them, its about 2.5 years old now, but still holds its own its a fantastic unit.

Its unlikely from what I recall that 1080p is going to become common, its certaintly not one that the bbc have much interest in. The only things these TV's do really is highlight how poor digital freeview etc compression is.

Amazing how cheap the technology is getting these days however.

Pioneers are over priced imo for what quality they give...

The Pioneer Rep always says we dont push Pionner but they have a little variety and the Chassis from model to model are identical bar a blue light here or there... they need to do a range of well priced Lcd's under 40"...

Sounds like the voice of somone who cannot afford one :p haha. ;) Its a very far fetched thing to say they are all the same bar LED. There is more to the quality of a product than its list of features... Nice thing about something being a bit more pricy is that not everyone will have one thus keeps it more exclusive (B&O anyone?)

Thus far I have never been impressed with a cheap LCD/plasma, although they are much better than a few years ago.

LCD last longer, 360s won't make the full use of 1080p (or is it i? - whichever is the better)

Personally I'm a samsung man, the designs are great, easy to use and look great anywhere. I'm sure you can get a 40" or bigger for under £1k on the web.

LCD last longer, 360s won't make the full use of 1080p (or is it i? - whichever is the better)

Personally I'm a samsung man, the designs are great, easy to use and look great anywhere. I'm sure you can get a 40" or bigger for under £1k on the web.

360's do full 1080p actually :devil:

I like mine ;)

Sorry I thought they only went up to i? Oh well...!

And that link to the 50" is a plasma, hence the cheap price

Its a very far fetched thing to say they are all the same bar LED. There is more to the quality of a product than its list of features...

i said chassis not the internals...

trust me ed i'd love more people to buy Pioneer's but they dont cater for the majority of the market... they like to emphasise on quality of brand and to be honest most of our customers just want the best deal, nice looking tele, low price, good value package i.e. HTK or dvd rec and pioneer just dont do it for them...

LCD last longer...

Not as relevant now. New tech means they last as long as LCDs. Only difference with lifespan is that LCD - you can change the backlight when it goes, Plasma - its confined to the dump. Both have manufacture lifespans of at least 8 years at normal usage - by that time plasma and lcd would have probably gone the way of CRT anyway.

Back