Latest dyno run

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Just completed 2nd dyno run after a Motec (M48) install ready for new NA motor when complete - a couple of months away I'd say minimum. Still waiting for Nismo valve springs to turn up.

Figures show a meaty improvement in the midrange 3-4000rpm and this is confirmed by a seat of the pants impression on the road. I would say this is due to the engine now being able to properly benefit from the headers as up to now its run a bit rich.

Interesting to see the benefit in removing the air box - shows just how restrictive it is even in a stock motor. Overall power is not improved just the power curve is beafier in the mid range - which is where its most useful.

Next dyno run will be with the new motor! Looking forward to being able to post that one......

Attachments

• 14387.jpg
    14387.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 31

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Key to the dyno graph:

Blue: first run totally stock
Red: Motec + headers
Green: Motec + headers + no air box

I would add that my seat of the pants impressions of the headers on their own was that their was minimal if any change in performance. Unfortunately didn't do dyno run after the headers were installed before the Motec was fitted but I would say most of the improvement has occured after the new ECU and the retune that goes with it. It's not huge by any stretch but noticeable

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
hmm just seen your profile you are in oz. so maybe graph means kw. which would make it about 71bhp at fly. but if its hot weather where you are then that could take it down a bit.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
The type of readout will depend on the dyno. This one gives road speed in km/h - rather than getting a readout of engine RPM. To back-track and calculate rpm the run was taken to 6700rpm. The scale is in horsepower at the wheels - funnily enough most of the gurus talk horsepower rather than KW in Australia (even though we are very metric in every other way).

At the end of the day its only important as a relative measurement as there are big variation in readouts between diffent brands of Dynos.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
To convert hp to kW multiply 47.7 hp x 0.7457 = 35kW at the wheels. As I understand it there is a fixed power loss through the drivetrain rather than a % loss. A 20kW loss sounds reasonable bringing power to the factory stated power of 55kW. That 20kW loss would remain constant even if I doubled the power output of the engine.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Hrmm interesting...it seems lower than when compared to some of the cars with just exhaust/intake/header mods if you have a look in the dyno rangers part.

Whats the motec doing at the moment? just fuel adjustment? ignition? etc etc? How long was spent tuning it?

also interesting to see that its in HP..believe me a doubt a lot of the aussie guru's take it in HP..ive been to many a dyno day and events and everything is in KW.

looks pretty cool though the computer will be good for when you start getting everything together.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
i think theres more to be tuned out of that ecu because it looks like the power graphs for before/after follow each other a bit too closely..

with an aftermarket ecu you should be able to get a nice smooth graph..and iron out those kinks in power delivery

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I'd say the numbers are on the low side but I'd put that down to slight variation in dyno calibration.

We're not putting alot of time into tuning this setup as the stock motor is not staying long - 3 months max. So just interested in it running smoothly till then which it is.

Expect to fork out $4K AUS by the time you've bought the system, wired it in and given a basic tune. An expensive exercise but the ultimate if you're spending lots on developing a full-house motor.

Back