Dyno tomorrow

cisco

» CMF Member
My car is going off to have the air filter piping situation all finalised tomorrow, as well as hooking up the wastegate actuator properly.

After that, its straight into the dyno and let's see how she goes. Regardless of peak power, it will be real interesting to check out the curve on the power graph compared to the former T2 turbo.

Have to make sure we can run the required amount of boost yet with the current actuator, seems like it will be fine, but have to suss it out.

Any guesses as to what she might put out?

I'll be optimistic and say it would be cool to crack 150kw@wheels, but that's a big ask!

If I got there, that would be time to give up and be happy.

Preying we don't run into any new dramas, but car seems to be driving fine.

After this, only a couple of minor things remaining and I can go and have a crack at passing a rego inspection.

Attachments

• 13121.jpg
    13121.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 47

cisco

» CMF Member
yoiks, let's hope mr gearbox etc will all be fine.

"sirty one bee!" That's how the Japanese guys say "31V"

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
God almighty!! Cannot imagine a Micra pumping out 160kw. What a beast.
Cisco reckon I will hear it roaring from here.
Get that torque curve as well. Maybe Whitey can do you up to 30kph!!
Good luck , we are all hanging out for the dyno chart.

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Yeah, That's the thing about Blue Monster - You keep us so updated on it's progress, that it makes me anxious to want to see the results! Can't wait to get home and have a read over them!.

Good luck! Cameron.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
yeah i wouldnt be surprised if you pumped out something over 150kw..the turbo you are using will be WAY more efficent with the amount of boost you are running and yes..i'd say you should see some very nice gains :)

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Wee!

Where's it at Cisco?

If its at Ben's it will read slightly higher as its a hub dyno and not chassis... I'd take it to Pete@Autotech if you want an accurate power reading, but for tuning Ben is the man...

Message me as soon as you get it I wanna know!

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Haha thanks for the support.

Nah I'm not interested in knowing what my global figure is so that I can know I beat cars x y and z. Even if Ben's dyno is more generous, then that's fine, I'll still know roughly ballpark what it makes, and that it is tuned right will make me happy. I can't waste any more money on getting alternative power readouts! But keen to drive the car a lot and get the value out of the countless hours and anger its put me through!

Yeah its Ben, spoke to him this morning, seems really nice and switched on. He's fixing a few minor things up and giving me a call, should know by the end of the week.

2006 year of motoring. heh.

Well anything above 150kw would be just crazy and I am going to come away ENGINE PROJECT FINISHED. You can just keep going to ridiculous levels - when do you stop. I don't want to be snapping gearboxes every single drive or once a month, that sucks.. Then you start to have too much power to get traction, so then you need big sticky slicks and suspension targeted for launching and a mechanical LSD, all that stuff combined puts double the strain on the gearbox, so then you need custom cut gearsets etc. You'll just spend tens of thousands on upgrading EVERYTHING just to keep the car reliable.

Happy with some fairly decent power readout and knowing that this turbo won't be putting out hot inefficient air, and leave it at that and just cruise!!!

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Cisco, Good luck with the dyno tune... Yes, I agree there is only so far you can reasonably go and still remain a sensible road car.

Power isn't useful if you can't get it to the ground.... it also isn't everything on the track or the road !.

The thing I really like about "Blue Monster" is the fact it looks relatively stock and has been cleverly designed to generate this awesome power while still being a practical, comfortable and reliable road car.

Around three times the factory output is surely more than enough for a truely awesome road-going rocketship !.

It must be amoung (if not THE) fastest road registered Micra in the world !.

I am sure you will have many happy and trouble free miles during the 2006 "year of motoring".

cisco

» CMF Member
Hehe thanks Makes.

Man this guy is efficient.

Gave me a COURTESY CALL today - HOLY HELL, what the HELL is a courtesy call??? Well this was one, and I bloody loved it.

All the minor fixing up all 100% complete and things looking really good. Just didn't get a chance to put her on the dyno TODAY, but doing that first thing in the morning, and picking the car up tomorrow DEFINATELY. Yeehah!!!

1 day away from knowing the power output.

Talk about service.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
haha interesting

so who you going through now?

you'd think that workshops would know what their clients have put into their cars..obviously the really hardcore ones deserve a bit of customer service

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
I heard a roar down here in Tassie.
Sounded like a Micra under a lot of boost.
Someone said Godzilla was arising from Bass Straight!!
Population of Burnie in flight!!
Ah ****e its blue and mean and angry!!

cisco

» CMF Member
Allright, results time:

Peak power reading: 143kw @ 6538rpm [At the wheels]
Peak torque reading: 255Nm @ 5365rpm [At the flywheel]
Boost: 16.5psi at peak power 6538rpm, spiked to 20.7psi at 5188rpm, 18-19psi in between.

<h2>Variables:</h2>
  • Only revved the car to 6500rpm and power was still increasing. Jake revved the car to 7800rpm for my previous power readouts. So I'm sure the car really makes 150-160.
  • 28degree C temperature today - the other readouts with Jake were in and around winter.
  • When this peak power was made, it was only at about 16.5psi. Jake WRANG the old T25 turbo out to about 19psi to make the 137kw.

<h2>Results - How does it drive??</h2>
Far out. I am absolutely blown away. NO ****. Check out the shape of the dyno graph, that explains it all. The torque curve is as far away from a straight line as you could get. The torque curve tells you how it is driving. It hits this point and goes BALLISTIC - afterburner.

The car is NOTICEABLY faster than before.

The turbo takes a little bit longer to spool up, as I always expected, the myth of ball bearing meaning quicker spool I think is mostly a myth, at the end of the day its the size of the turbo and BB probably helps it a little bit sure. But its still quite responsive. From the PSI graph you can see its already made 5psi by 3500rpm, 7psi at 4000rpm, 11psi at 4500rpm. That's laggier than the T25 by a bit, but its still quite reasonable, like the car is hurtling along quite well even with 5-7-11psi as you could imagine. But by about 4500rpm its game over and the afterburner comes on. From there all the way to the almost 8000rpm redline you can pull past an FA-18.

One of the key differences which explains how the car drives would be this: 3rd gear feels like 2nd gear used to. 3rd gear now, once it comes fully onto boost, the front of the car lifts up, like it wants to take off like an aeroplane, like squatting kind of thing, and the steering goes light. HAHAHAHA. This is 3rd gear.

In the middle of summer last time with the T25, the car would NEVER break traction in 2nd gear. It only did that in the cooler months. Today in 28degreeC, when 2nd gear hit peak boost (around 5100rpm) it broke traction a bit and was squealing its tits off, but quite nice and easy to control.
Whoa whoa go easy Mr T28bb.

One other thing I would say, maybe this is attributed to the ball bearing factor, no idea.. But even though its making peak boost later than the T25 did, it really seems SO DAMN progressive compared to before. The increase of power (as seen on the graph) just seems so factory-quality smooth and ever-increasing. Comparitively I guess the T25 felt more sudden like a bang, and this is an ever-increasing smooth injection of power.

Ben went into so much more detail and cool explanation of everything than my previous tuner. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Its running a bit rich at idle because the injectors are a bit too big, but they are great once it opens up, but still only using about 60% duty cycle. He said something like my old injectors would be enough for max power, but enable a more stoich mixture at idle and better idle control. I might look at that one day, but it drives great for now, I'll just drive it for a year before I can even be bothered.

On the dyno it was only revved to 6500 and it was a hot day, but how it drives, I guarantee if my old dyno at Jakes said 137kw, this absolutely must be 150-160. Really feels a whole league above the previous setup, and still nice moderate levels of boost down low to provide some decent surging ahead of the car while you prepare for the afterburner.

Sean was correct - The wastegate properly being hooked up to vacumm really made a difference. I think because it actually makes the wastegate actuator suck back in tighter, boost builds quicker. That has made a real difference to how quickly it spools up.

Ben said the turbo is in perfect condition, its a good healthy turbo.

He said they took a lot of ignition timing out at the top end, and the mixtures were very safe, so its safe to run these boost levels no worries in squirts, just don't leave it maxxed out at 19psi for 30 minutes continuously of course.

High/Low boost controller button is amazingly useful.
The low setting has been adjusted to about 8-9psi (spikes at 11.5psi for a bit) and makes 91.3kw at the wheels. The car has come so far, it was only making 98kw flat out when I first bought it, now that is only my low boost button. Far out.

Low boost button great for: in the wet, 1st gear, and a bit of second gear, but then you need to hit the afterburner.

So I am stoked, I am thinking of just paying for a single dyno run at Jake's in winter purely for comparison purposes, because I'm sure with the combination of revving it right out, colder air, and his dyno probably being more generous than Ben's (heaps of guys at my work reckon Jake's is more generous), I reckon the readout will look pretty crazy (150-160). Its a different world to how it drove before.

I can't wait for winter. The cold air makes the world of difference, probably means another 20kw at these kinds of boost levels, safer everything. But to even floor the crap out of it today in this heat it was still so impressive. The car was always a lot more doey in the heat with the T25.

More power at the wheels than a brand new 6cyl BA falcon, and not too far off what say an XR8 puts out at the wheels - slight weight advantage 1700kg vs. 800kg.

3rd gear is a funny experience now. Prepare for takeoff, car lifts up, steering goes light. Woofta. I can appreciate more what makes the quicker quarter mile times now. Once you get in that sweet spot with the afterburner on, you gain so much time in a straight line compared to say having a bit earlier spool up and nicer torquey feeling (T25). I think it would go pretty hard down the quarter now once it got up "on the plane" as they say in boating terms. Some QUICK cars I've been beaten by before, I know it would have the balls to pull past them now.

Ben @ Intune performance did an amazing job. He gave me courtesy calls, the quality of workmanship was spot on. This air filter pipe he did up for me is really perfect. Very very tidy mandrel bends, new pod filter, fits all positioned perfectly and its in a very tidy spot. Could not have asked for a better one.

Happy with engine now, not touching anything. Just refining the car, fixing an exhaust vibration at 3000rpm, finishing off the rear cargo tray which is almost done, driving through my rego inspection like a drive thru McDonalds and then just kicking back for 2006 year of motoring.

Anyway, check out the afterburner torque curve:

Attachments

• 13304.jpg
    13304.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 43

cisco

» CMF Member
You don't want to be caught at 1500rpm in 1st gear trying to get out of the way of a truck in the middle of an intersection. Ah ha.

Yeah agree re:tyres. Want to be careful re:snapping gearboxes. Cheap tyres are good for protecting gearboxes.

But yeah, it needs them for sure, you're all spot on.

cisco

» CMF Member
Re:tyres, I know this sounds stupid, but I really want some 14" steelies with hub caps just to conceal the wolf in sheeps clothing even more.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Hehe, spinner hubcaps would be the icing on the cake!

Just make sure you whack some R compound rubber on the 14's. Otherwise you might just be driving around with constant wheelspin (ignoring the spinners :p)

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
good stuff. i'm sure it will break the 150kw when its reved a bit more/boost etc. that torque curve is wild. whats the bit on the power graph where it goes flat then picks up again near the end?

cisco

» CMF Member
Mmm constant wheelspin.

Well, one time, I want to put on some real cheesecutters and be pulling past some idiots just playing/keeping with them, and then hit the afterburner and make smoke poor from the tyres. that would be stupendous. Like some 155 13s.

Man they would light up at 100kmh

cisco

» CMF Member
I asked the exact same question Polar.

Ben said its the camshaft profile, purely limited by camshaft there.

He said on a VVT engine, the curve would have just continued on.

Mmm VVT, Mmm technology. If only there was a CG13VDE from like a 2000 model k11 it would have been the problems of life solved for us micra fans.

So I could be a dud and get some lumpier cams to fix that, but again, more bottom end sacrifice. All a compromise isn't it.

cisco

» CMF Member
SR: 179Nm (yeah nice flat curve), top heavy, worse braking and handling.

B.Mons: 255Nm (yeah stupendous spike only at peak RPM), lighter, still sufficient power to break traction in the dry even with your mum on board, the big brakes, the big handling, let's look at the whole package.

SR you be going down.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah fully.

Honestly though, what are you going to do with an SR20 turbo in a k11. With that same thinking you might as well put an 8 litre V8 in a k11.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Totally and utterly awesome Cisco. What a monster.
Maybe Whitey would keep you honest up to about 10kph!!
Well done, its been a journey and well just enjoy mate.
Bluey still has some left in reserve also!!
Oh can't wait till June.Just take me for a squirt ( I will put my neck brace on)
All this from a 1.3ltr motor.Do me a favour and e mail Errol with the results.
2006 year of motoring but in your case low flying.
Enjoy.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Good to hear Ben is looking after you...

The good thing is, he's already built a turbo Micra from scratch too so he knows a bit about them.

Mate, get it rego'd ASAP

I want to be in it... I'm afraid it might re-spark me up!

Sean

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
cisco, some people might say the same about such a high powered 1.3L turbo in a FWD car. I know I say it about +250kW SR20DET in FWD pulsars.

I suppose whatever floats your boat these days. Its not rocket science to turbocharge your engine anymore hey.

heck there's a turbocharged 1.5L daewoo lanos scooting around brisbane somewhere!

CMF_James MSC

» CMF Member
Thats amazing power! Wish my K11 was outputting stuff like that ;)

As for the SR20 K11s, there's an SR20DET K11 in the UK, FWD only, about 330bhp, absolutely insane power - it kept jumping off the rollers in the dyno place! 1/4 mile in 12.859 @ 123 mph (~200km/h)

But at the end of the day, true micras have a CG engine under the hood ;)

Congrats again cisco,

James :)

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeha totally agree mate.

I'm purely only having a jab for 100% humour factor.

Really I am the king of whatever floats your boat, open to anything. I would in reality love an SR micra, I'm just getting into the whole competition thing and having a jab to make it fun etc, like a challenge.

SR micra would be stupendous torque stupendous power. And very unique to own. I would love to own one. So yeah, I guess as always, email/messages don't convey tone/emotions, I'm loving SRs, loving the challenge, just having a fun jab.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Great results mate,Can't wait to see it in the flesh. Or video,please get some video footage i'm begging please i need it.

That is just amazing power for such a small car,Thats the thing about your micra if you run on the street and blow some poor chumpaway and they look under the bonnet they expect something like an sr20t and i think it just makes all the more funnier,anyway mate have a good weekend and enjoy.

cisco

» CMF Member
Thx Tony.

Exactly. I love the originality of the CG13DE. It all goes back to the mid nineties scene of having these tweaked up small-capacity twim cams. You can't beat it. Well yeah VVT beats it, but you can't beat the awesome mid nineties scene when the GTis were big, all the twin cam fours were sparking up.

Its the epitomy of ripping off the stupid 8 litre V8s. Just as fast or faster with piss all capacity. That's what I love about it. If every car was the same, the planet would spew out so much less emissions and still have the goods required.

Efficiency!

cisco

» CMF Member
Yom: that little CG.

That little CG has done so much for you over the years.

You have to stick up for it.

These foreign SRs. All CGs please band together and spark up against big brother SR.

Back