• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Kristian's WideArch SR20DE(T) K11 BLOG

lmao... kris you held back abit on that... should have let andy smash it up...

i saved the 3gp to desktop then bluetoothed it to me phone

Ben said:
cant believe u destroyed a perfectly good car :(

but he hasnt destroyed a perfectly good car? hes took all the parts off which makes it a full car so its just a shell with a rear quarters and a wind screen, plus hes putting it all on his new car. so he hasnt destroyed it hes stripped it and is building it back up on another chassis.

Heres just a quick update...

Im waiting on some fabrication and my electric water pump from AUS before there are some big changes..

This Is the Powerflow system that was on DAVEYCs car that will be the exhaust on the car while the bodywork is being finished off and MOT work is being carried out..
dscn3601cp6.jpg

Then its onto the Custom Polished stainless Twin Exit ( Jap Slash ) out of the complete Fibreglass smooth boot, I picked up a pair of these Rear Cans off ebay recently

dscn3596zs8.jpg

dscn3597ew2.jpg

Heres a sneaky pic of the New grill to be going on the car..

dscn3598yy0.jpg

And the MESS that is the Highport SR20DE with Complete Loom to go in...

dscn3602or1.jpg

Looking good mate. ;)

You still up for putting it in on Saturday? Let me know a time on Saturday... and as long as it's after dinner, I'll be down. :)

-Elliot

yer punk.. Im defintaly gonna be there in the morning from 8/9. Sorting it all out... fitting shocks and springs etc..,

and getting crane setup etc..

also got the waterpump and powersteering pump to remove and blank off..

nice backboxes kris, when u showed me that mess i was shocked ! then i was completely confused when u said your not going to have a rear window lol

kristian said:
Then its onto the Custom Polished stainless Twin Exit ( Jap Slash ) out of the complete Fibreglass smooth boot

paddymarsden said:
then i was completely confused when u said your not going to have a rear window lol

Engine going in the back or something :S

To make things easier to explain..

Im aiming not only to have between 230bhp-250bhp at the wheels...

Im also aiming for a Sub 500Kg car... which will see the biggest performance increase.. with acceleration, braking and cornering...

...also this will see less wear and tear on key componants such as the Chassis and driveshafts.. and tires...

To be honest the weight is what im more interested in saving as oppose to just a Big BHP...

So, With the full rear quarter replacment when the bodykit goes on, its going to have a full fibreglass Bonnet to save weight at the front and a full fibreglass replacement of my smooth boot (with smoothed in Works spoiler)

as discussed mate ill be down saturday to give u a hand with it all. May not be Much help on mechanical side but can pass you stuff haha.

kristian said:
To make things easier to explain..
Im also aiming for a Sub 500Kg car... which will see the biggest performance increase.. with acceleration, braking and cornering...
That would have to be SOME diet... I doubt you could get it to weigh that amount, even beachboy only just made 700kg, he was taking every last screw out for weightloss..

kristian said:
So, With the full rear quarter replacment when the bodykit goes on, its going to have a full fibreglass Bonnet to save weight at the front and a full fibreglass replacement of my smooth boot (with smoothed in Works spoiler)
Will you be taking away the wing this time, the inside one?
Wont that disrupt the integrity of the car?

I dont see how you can get the car below 500kg, especialy with a 230-250bhp engine in it, since the chassis will need reinforcing so that will add weight. Whats the 'works' spoiler about? I dont understand were 'works' comes from.

By works I'm guessing he means a rallycar spoiler, as in a "works" Nissan Micra, ie the ones run and entere into competition by Nissan.

that grill looks mighty familiar! looks good when on like, had 1 on dusks old k11 for a while now.

personally think the exhausts coming out the boot will look gash! but ill wait and see!

and to get down to 500kg will be more or less impossible, the fibreglass panels arent that different in weight to the metal ones imo.

loving the progress though. nice one.

I know I wont get a sub 500Kg car, that would be neigh on imposible with the standard micra chassis..

Im AIMING for 500Kg, I can see myself ultimatley getting around 650-600....

K11STEW, there are much less 'styling' modification on my car that yours, mine are much more performance oriented..

As with the smooth doors, smooth spoiler etc.. Ive made some subtle styling changes, as to my preferences..

the exhaust Is a bit of both... styling and performance..

Regarding the Works Spoiler, the Wide Arch Kit was a Full Works Kit when I purchased it and the spoiler was a part of it...

.. As to Ricardos point about the chassis strengthening... I know this and its a nessecary evil..

kristian said:
K11STEW, there are much less 'styling' modification on my car that yours, mine are much more performance oriented..

As with the smooth doors, smooth spoiler etc.. Ive made some subtle styling changes, as to my preferences..

the exhaust Is a bit of both... styling and performance..

of course yours are much more performance orientated! youre putting a 2.0 in ffs! i dont think i ever brought my yellow k11 into it, i only said that the fibreglass parts, ie the wide arch kit that is on yours and my cars is more or less the same weight as the flimsy metals wings and plastic bumpers!

and if the exhaust is about performance it wouldnt be coming out of the boot would it mate!? you see many big power jap cars, like 300zx's go from dual exit systems to single exit for performance.

was only adding opinions, good luck with the project.

In the end up 2u what u do wiv the car, will wait and c what it looks like but sounds gud at the mo, keep this thread updated m8!

k11stew said:
of course yours are much more performance orientated! youre putting a 2.0 in ffs! i dont think i ever brought my yellow k11 into it, i only said that the fibreglass parts, ie the wide arch kit that is on yours and my cars is more or less the same weight as the flimsy metals wings and plastic bumpers!

and if the exhaust is about performance it wouldnt be coming out of the boot would it mate!? you see many big power jap cars, like 300zx's go from dual exit systems to single exit for performance.

was only adding opinions, good luck with the project.

I wasn't trying to critisise the car mate, Its a work of art, im very much into the whole Soundsystem and styling side of modding,

What I meant as a difference between your bodywork and my own Is that my fibreglass panels are very substantial, not just skirts and splitters blended.. as you know with your white one.... also the width added by the arches lets the use of some very wide wheels, and some good offset...

..this is performance oriented imo..

especially when your running an SR20...

With regards to the exhausts out of the boot... Concidering performance for a turbo you need Ideally the shortest and straightest pipe possible..

When your running 2x 90degree bends around the fuel tank then kinked over the rear axel, you can cut these restrictions out by running a single bend through the floorpan into the rear of the cabin then another slow bend to straighten it up for the acutual exit.. I appriciate what your saying about the drift cars etc... but if you look at the SILLY hi-end 'CALSONIC' skylines etc, they mostly run twin boot exits.. hence the style and for performance.

Im eventually running a single turbo so a single exit would be best as you say but that would look crap as a boot exit..

wheni spoke to him the sun for JAE he said its going to be.....i cant see why it wont be....position of the exhaust wont make it illegal on the road

Obviously if you wanted to go silly with the exhaust then I wouldn't be road legal.. there are parameters that the exhaust has to adhere too...

Im terms of road legality... It will be MOT'd and Road legal as a two seater...

Gotta see the faces on friends when running down Santa pod!! lol

If it's road legal and you want to make 600-650kgs, good luck. Personally I would estimate a fair bit higher.

you could get there, helium filled tyres, magnesium wheels, aluminium suspension arms, carbon roof, fibreglass bonnet, plastic windows, two seats, no dash, smallest exhaust possible, light weight aluminium brake calipers, small motorcycle lights, light weight carbon mirrors, all window winders removed, have a titianium manifold made, magnesium engine mounts,

yeah it can be done....but why, when you could just put more power through it.

antony_aiken said:

Cause lightness is the key to a fast car, it helps under acceleration, braking and cornering. Putting big power through it will only help in a straight line.

would the zorts out of the boot make black marks on the boot? and wouldnt you have to cut holes in the floor of the car? wouldnt the car have more flex than e.g like having a sunroof? soz about alll the questions lol. hope you can do it would look diffrent.

antony_aiken said:

..Because although power has two benefits in a FWD car: accelleration and top speed...

..whereas weight reduction benefits everything from braking, cornering, economy, let alone the accelleration and top speed

It also greatly reduces wear on tires, brakes, suspension, steering and drivetrain.. ..

Call weight reduction, easy horsepower increases if you will...

..the aim of my project is to make a VERY fast micra that handles well on the track and looks good too.. So uprating the horsepower is definatly going to happen later down the line..

Squarepants:

This car has no sunroof which is a good thing for overall integrety...

A couple of holes in a NON structural part of the floor pan wont make a decernable difference to the strength, there is going to be a lot of strengthening going on throughout the car.. various joints, possible weak points..etc..

Ive got a carbon fibre section of the boot being made to minimise burning or scorching.....

Low Rider said:
If it's road legal and you want to make 600-650kgs, good luck. Personally I would estimate a fair bit higher.

Im going to aim for a little as possible obviously.. my estimate for the cars weight... although not in the immediate future.. still stands

Actualy, holes in a material can reduce strength by as much as 50%, when you cut the hole you'l leave microfractures around the cut edge, they are tiny cracks not visible to the naked eye. Under pressure the fractures can grow, and from cracks that will be impossible to get rid off.

The way these are removed in industry is by using a reamer, its a drill bit with many cutting points, and it turns at a slow rpm. You buy a reamer the size of the hole your drilling but drill the whole a fraction smaller, then the reamer can do the finishing cut leaving minimal micro fractures. Im not sure how applicable to this scenario this is. Just thought i'd add that bit.

Also, abit of useless info, micrafractures are the biggest cause of airplane crashes. In planes however, they occur mainly in the fins of the jet engine and sometimes on the bearing housings. But they dont slowly create cracks, they spread instantly into a material failiure and the piece either goes into the air, or straight through the plane, either way, the engine goes boom. Airport tecnitians use ultrasound every few hundred flying hours to find the cracks...So now you know :p

Is this applicable?

Your theory is sound for the inside of a Incredably high temp & Rpm-JET engine..

Are these 'Pressures' noticable on the floorpan of a car?

dscn3603ev8.jpg

ITS ARRIVED!!!!! all the way from Australia!..

......... NOW THE WORK CAN BEGIN...........!

kristian said:
Is this applicable?

Your theory is sound for the inside of a Incredably high temp & Rpm-JET engine..

Are these 'Pressures' noticable on the floorpan of a car?

dscn3603ev8.jpg

ITS ARRIVED!!!!! all the way from Australia!..

......... NOW THE WORK CAN BEGIN...........!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D any more pics?!?!

hopefully tomoz... the big block was on a diet as of today of her waterpump and powersteering pump... shes being fitted tomoz with the help of a few friends

Obviously you have difficulty understanding my post, the jet engine thing was an example, incase you didn't realise, jet engines are made out of stronger materials kristian, thats because they are put under lots more pressure, do you understand? So in a micra, were forces are less, the materials chosen don't need to carry such large loads, hope your following. Putting 230bhp through a car weighing 500kg (obviously not to much strengthening) with a big hole in the floor for an exaust would cause a big weakness in an already over strained chassis. Do you understand what I mean now, I can understand that for some people this would be hard to follow, I could do pictures and things if you like?

ricardo_swarez said:
Obviously you have difficulty understanding my post, the jet engine thing was an example, incase you didn't realise, jet engines are made out of stronger materials kristian, thats because they are put under lots more pressure, do you understand? So in a micra, were forces are less, the materials chosen don't need to carry such large loads, hope your following. Putting 230bhp through a car weighing 500kg (obviously not to much strengthening) with a big hole in the floor for an exaust would cause a big weakness in an already over strained chassis. Do you understand what I mean now, I can understand that for some people this would be hard to follow, I could do pictures and things if you like?

lmao there is something in the water in those parts, you lot are hilarious

ricardo_swarez said:

Yes, but it isn't going to be a big hole though is it?

It's not like you're cutting a 1x1 foot hole in the floor. The hole would be suitably sized for the exhaust to fit through, and strengthened around the edges to prevent flexing.

The exhaust hole wont be an exact circle, maybe oval shaped...
Picture a 2" exhaust coming up through the hole, it will have to be larger than 2" and since it isnt coming up vertically it will have to be even larger, id say a 4to5 inch hole... thats below the national average penis size.

Having a national average penis sized hole, squared(longways) id say was quite a large hole, in comparison to the size of the hole that it would have been; see: None.

To get any micra to weigh around 500kglet alone a 2.0, you would need alot of big holes...
How would you strenthen it elliot, put a ring around it?

Well I was just saying that the comment ' A couple of holes in a NON structural part of the floor pan wont make a discernable difference to the strength,' was wrong, and backing it up with theory. I don't no why your getting defensive, I was alerting you to your mistake so you wouldn’t ruin all that hard work.

By the way, out of interest, how are you strengthening the floor...? Metal weights a lot, for 500kg, I’d thought you'd go more for joints around main load bearing areas of the chassis? By the way, metal can be quite heavy, and so detrimental to your 500kg weight target.

ricardo_swarez said:
I can understand that for some people this would be hard to follow, I could do pictures and things if you like?

Ricardo Swarez

This is WAY to difficult for me to understand and some Pictures and Things would be beneficial..
... infact If you could guide me through the whole project that would be really cool.. I dont want any of the floor pan flying through the car and its occupants....

In reply to your unedited post which was:

Ricardo Swarez

This is WAY to difficult for me to understand and some Pictures and Things would be beneficial..

Well, tbh, I can’t be bothered with pictures, but with a severe lack of understanding of either the English language, or engineering, I don’t no how you are going to fit this 2Litre. Here's layman’s terms for you

Hole=Weak

Floor=Strong

Hole+Floor=Weakness

Power+Car designed for 3 times less power=Structural weakness

Power+Floor with hole + optomistic weight figures and lack of structural up rating=Structural Failure

For this project to work, I think you need to invest more time in you understanding of the English language, and then more time in your understanding of engineering and mechanics. Then set yourself some goals, like, get the 2Litre in and running with the very basic structural reinforcement needed, then say 'I need to strip 100kg from the car', then more weight. Are you following me? Or would you like this in list form and short sentences. Sorry I didn't realise you had difficulties, it does explain some of your posts though, I’ll be more understanding in future.

Back