Knockhill is so much fun!!!

Dave Bull

Ex. Club Member
Well, yesterday I finally realised what I had been missing for nearly 18 months as I took the newly prepped setup (kind of) out on track.

I did 5 sessions (10 laps each) in all, completing each session without an issue (mechanical wise).

For the first 3 sessions, I was trying to get used to the suspension, as the rear is still setup for the strip, and is too high and twitchy under braking. I had to use the LSD & throttle to pull me out of a few scrapes, but no major issues.

I had a friend time me on a number of the sesions, posting around the 63-65 second mark on each lap on the first few sessions. On the 5th & final session with my friend, Walter as a passenger, I went for it and it paid off brilliantly...

59.4 seconds...RESULT!

I seem to be having trouble with my video camera though. Somethimes it almost sounds like it recording mono (i.e. like it plays from only the left speaker) and then it also sometimes changes colour (the sky, grass etc). Oh, a finally, the battery only lasted for the first 3 sessions. Well, not even the whole of 3rd session as it died just as we were about to complete the cool down lap.

Mabye it's time for an upgrade!!!

Here's a video of one of the laps in the 3rd session, just before the camera died...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsx7zXZc_s4

Anyways, what I did notice was how much grip the Toyo R888's actually give once they have a bit of heat in them. Unfortunately, the compound that I have takes bloody ages to heat up properly.

Maybe I need something a bit softer.

What do you guys think / recommend?

Cheers

Dave

Nice vid mate and thats a decent lap time considering your not trying on the corners.

An vids of the car from the side of the track etc??

What I did notice the other day was that the car didn't feel as quick and was taking longer to come on boost. I also couldn't get it to go above 12 psi, no matter how much I turned the boost controller screw up.

Well, I found the problem today after a bit of investigation work. After pressurising the system to 1 BAR, I found a massive air leak at the turbo compressor, thanks to a missing bolt that is needed to hold the housing together.

It was obviously losing a lot of air, and probably running pig rich, hence why it didn't feel its usual self.

Bloody Nissans!!!

Back