K12 Timing Chain.

Are there any members on here willing to undertake a timing chain replacement? Question 2; did Nissan not do a recall because of these chains made of chocolate, mine has only done 25k miles!!

Last edited:
You may find info useful of separated cam chains feed through procedure theory link, detailing some advantages and risks.

http://dieselgiant.com/replacetimingchain.htm

You pays your money and takes your choice.
Yeah, good link fella, shows how they split the chain and feed in the new one, but, the K12 has twin cams and a HYVO chain to contend with. Either way, this guy reckons he been doing these for years so he must be doing something right.

Yeah, good link fella, shows how they split the chain and feed in the new one, but, the K12 has twin cams and a HYVO chain to contend with. Either way, this guy reckons he been doing these for years so he must be doing something right.

Yes you’re right; the K-12 chain setup is more complex and therefore more difficult to cope with in this improvised shortcut method and raises many questions.

What happens about fitting the rest of the chain kit components? Tensioner, tensioner rail, guide rail, camshaft gear, crankshaft gear & vvc hub? :confused:

I note “this guy” does not provide a trading name or address on eBay?

Who else is offering this apparently innovative K12 chain replacement service and who has successful experience of it?

It beholds “this guy” to provide substantive proof of this method over many years to back up his claims?

Continuing to remain objective, with so few established facts and so many unanswered questions, on balance at this time

you pays your money and takes your chances!

Yes you’re right; the K-12 chain setup is more complex and therefore more difficult to cope with in this improvised shortcut method and raises many questions.

What happens about fitting the rest of the chain kit components? Tensioner, tensioner rail, guide rail, camshaft gear, crankshaft gear & vvc hub? :confused:

I note “this guy” does not provide a trading name or address on eBay?

Who else is offering this apparently innovative K12 chain replacement service and who has successful experience of it?

It beholds “this guy” to provide substantive proof of this method over many years to back up his claims?

Continuing to remain objective, with so few established facts and so many unanswered questions, on balance at this time

you pays your money and takes your chances!

I hear where you're coming from and totally agree, hence why I'm waiting for a reply from him regarding my questions. As to the rest of the kit, guides, tensioner, vvt hub etc, again I want answers from him. I'm working on the assumption that my Wifes car has only covered 25k, was laid up in a garage for 6yrs due to bereavement, so I'm hoping it just needs the stretched chain replacing, which I still find hard to come to terms with at such relative low milage! Some info that may be of interest; he is a registered business; "Cartech" Robert Beresford, Unit 16d, East Street, Hett, Durham. DH6 5LP. email; [email protected]

i,ve mentioned that guy on here years ago (and on the almera club iirc) and many bikes have hyvo chains, you just need the right extracting tool :)
corsa,s and yaris,s (and many other cars) have hyvo chains too, and corsa,s have had issues, they fitted a longer tensioner spring apparently, and they stretch enough for the chain to actually rattle, but their ecu,s dont flag faultcodes when the tensioner is only 10mm extended (like k12,s do ) the tensioner does,nt start at 0 mm even when new, so 10mm extension is just about bedded in in reality, coilpack k11,s have the same crank and cam sensor system, and have 2 shorter chains and 2 tensioners, and they extend to 20mm+ each, np
its more of an ecu programming/peramiter problem rather than chain problem, the later k12,s were probably altered to allow about 20mm extension before flagging codes and running rough

Last edited:
I hear where you're coming from and totally agree, hence why I'm waiting for a reply from him regarding my questions. As to the rest of the kit, guides, tensioner, vvt hub etc, again I want answers from him. I'm working on the assumption that my Wifes car has only covered 25k, was laid up in a garage for 6yrs due to bereavement, so I'm hoping it just needs the stretched chain replacing, which I still find hard to come to terms with at such relative low milage! Some info that may be of interest; he is a registered business; "Cartech" Robert Beresford, Unit 16d, East Street, Hett, Durham. DH6 5LP. email; [email protected]

May I suggest the exceptional dependent variable here is that the vehicle was apparently laid up for six years (stagnant) leading to drivability issues running rough and fault code P0011?

Were adequate recommissioning procedures followed to bring it out of its six-year long stagnant hibernation?

Perhaps it’s a clogged hydraulic tensioner not taking up and tensioning the chain and VVT hub that’s tardy, or restricted oil supply galleys or clogged oil pickup after so many years stagnant rather than simply chain stretch at 25K?

Electrically operated oil control valves/oil pump that could be part clogged/sticking or restricted?

Measure tensioner extension and consider DIY oil flushing before replacing chains.

Follow up with detergent rich diesel engine oil change to clean the oil galleys and hydraulic chain tensioner to restore normal operation longer term.

Oil flushing forum advantages and disadvantages discussed link;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1820403/4

"Cartech" Robert Beresford, Unit 16d, East Street, Hett, Durham. DH6 5LP. email; [email protected]
In lieu of the chain change innovative technique applied to the K-12 and “darn cheap estimated price” the above garage trade name does not appear to have been recommended by any of its customers to the following good garage guides in the Durham area??

http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn...h?name=&region=&postcode=DH65LP&make=&service

http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/pages/map.aspx?loc=DH65LP

Last edited:
May I suggest the exceptional dependent variable here is that the vehicle was apparently laid up for six years (stagnant) leading to drivability issues running rough and fault code P0011?

Were adequate recommissioning procedures followed to bring it out of its six-year long stagnant hibernation?

Perhaps it’s a clogged hydraulic tensioner not taking up and tensioning the chain and VVT hub that’s tardy, or restricted oil supply galleys or clogged oil pickup after so many years stagnant rather than simply chain stretch at 25K?

Electrically operated oil control valves/oil pump that could be part clogged/sticking or restricted?

Measure tensioner extension and consider DIY oil flushing before replacing chains.

Follow up with detergent rich diesel engine oil change to clean the oil galleys and hydraulic chain tensioner to restore normal operation longer term.

Oil flushing forum advantages and disadvantages discussed link;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1820403/4

"Cartech" Robert Beresford, Unit 16d, East Street, Hett, Durham. DH6 5LP. email; [email protected]
In lieu of the chain change innovative technique applied to the K-12 and “darn cheap estimated price” the above garage trade name does not appear to have been recommended by any of its customers to the following good garage guides in the Durham area??

http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn...h?name=&region=&postcode=DH65LP&make=&service

http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/pages/map.aspx?loc=DH65LP

Right, I've spoken to the Man, I asked if he split the chain and fed it thru, he said no, he removes the cover and replaces chain and tensioner only, if any other parts need replacing he will advice. Job takes half a day and he has done over a 100 including other Nissan models!! I'm still in two minds. Re; the 6yr lay up, the old Ladies Son used to start the car every couple of weeks, her deceased Hubby was an old customer of ours, that's how we became aware of the car. I bought the car for my Wife a year ago with 12k miles on it, she has covered just over 12k in that time with no probs at all until 2 months ago when it started cutting out and running lumpy. All the research I;ve done point to the chain, I've also spoken to a couple of tech guys who say the same. I removed the oil control valve from the head, and put 12v across it and the piston moved in and out so that is not stuck. Unsure what route to take now apart from getting the chain and kit installed by a decent garage at a cost of some £6-800!!

Ouch, £800 plus VAT spent on an ageing K 12 would be “piling the wood on the Pelion” and waiting for Apollo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest, but, I cannot justify this sort of money on a 12yr old car, so its going next weekend to another owner!!
Beyond Economic Repair Definition?

A repair is uneconomical when the repair price plus vat, plus price of what you could sell the car for in its current state would be sufficient to buy you a car which you would consider a worthy replacement.

A driveable vehicle with the EML/check engine light on due to chain stretch will often pass the MOT emissions test and is then only an advisory? Not a safety issue! (VOSA) matters of testing 31st Oct 2014 (halfway down the page). MOT regulations continuously change.

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/common-mistakes-made-by-mot-testers/#comment-15801

Ask your local MOT workshop their interpretation of the MOT regulations regarding check engine light on and your vehicles current emissions levels? If they would pass the MOT on it, then you have additional options other than just getting shot of it?

1. Continue using the vehicle to get more value out of it, avoiding crystallising a financial loss. Cover check engine light with black electrical tape and ignore it. Program parameters are insufficient to allow for normal wear and tear of the chain and therefore it is a program systemic failure not a mechanical failure.
  2. Use the vehicle and use the reprieve time to advertise, on Gumtree or Auto Trader, & sell it to the highest bidder prepared to take on the DIY chain replacement.
  3. Sell it as it stands at the local car auction/eBay/MSC. Competent DIY enthusiasts will take it on at a good price.
http://conversation.which.co.uk/transport-travel/new-mot-rules-warning-lights-car-safety/

Many choices!

Last edited:
Back