k12 blower fan removal??

Having had various intermittent heater fan problems in my 08 k12,first solved by bypassing the 2 pin 12v connector at the fan itself,as this wasn't making a good connection ,then replacing the resistor card ,eventually diagnosing the fan itself having an intermittent fault as I can test with a 12 volt supply directly at the motor itself...So here lies my question..Has anybody removed the fan ....Does the whole dash ,clocks airbags etc have to come out as suggested in one manual or is there a quicker way..One guy in a Main Dealers has told me the fan can come out after removing the radio console...A new fan is very expensive (€290) as opposed to a second hand one I can get for about €50- €60...If it were easy to remove/replace I would go for the used one.
ANY IDEAS PLEASE

I had a rat make a nest in my blower motor. Made a nice mess. I had to disassemble most of the dash to just be able to see in there.
I suspect you may have to remove the whole dash and all the reinforcing. Sorry.
I considered removing the windshield in my frustration.

Hi There,

New to this forum so any help will be greatly appreciated. I have the same problem with a Micra DCI 2006 model. The heater fan eventually stopped completely after just running on 2 speeds so i replaced the resistor pack (as this was a common fix) but still is not working. I can see that replacing the fan motor sounds like a nightmare job so if anyone could advise me to try anything else, like connectors, fuses (fuse not very likely i know), any advice would be appreciated. Or if someone has figured out a way of actually replacing the fan more easily!

Thanks very much - Rob

Hi There,

New to this forum so any help will be greatly appreciated. I have the same problem with a Micra DCI 2006 model. The heater fan eventually stopped completely after just running on 2 speeds so i replaced the resistor pack (as this was a common fix) but still is not working. I can see that replacing the fan motor sounds like a nightmare job so if anyone could advise me to try anything else, like connectors, fuses (fuse not very likely i know), any advice would be appreciated. Or if someone has figured out a way of actually replacing the fan more easily!

Thanks very much - Rob
I just replaced the motor in my wife's 2008 k12, having read every forum going, all indicated that you have to either remove the entire dash etc or clutch pedal and part of the heater assembly's.
I think my way was easiest, remove the windscreen( accidentally cracked prior to fitting , insurance covered a replacement £50), remove the Pillar trims and dashboard lid and now you can bend the heating vent pipe out the way and the motor will slide out once the electrical supply socket is detached and motor turned. It is i little fiddly but the window repair guy only had to wait 5 minutes( he was waiting for the sealant to go off on the new windscreen anyway) takes about 30 minutes in all , including the window fitting.

I just replaced the motor in my wife's 2008 k12, having read every forum going, all indicated that you have to either remove the entire dash etc or clutch pedal and part of the heater assembly's.
I think my way was easiest, remove the windscreen( accidentally cracked prior to fitting , insurance covered a replacement £50), remove the Pillar trims and dashboard lid and now you can bend the heating vent pipe out the way and the motor will slide out once the electrical supply socket is detached and motor turned. It is i little fiddly but the window repair guy only had to wait 5 minutes( he was waiting for the sealant to go off on the new windscreen anyway) takes about 30 minutes in all , including the window fitting.

Hi Robt ,,I did remove everything in order to get the motor out,took me nearly a day(6 hours) and a fair few hours to put everything back again...One of those jobs that would be much quicker the second time....I would first check the connector going into the motor as mine was a bit dodgy in the first place and I was able to prove that when I bypassed the connector wiring directly into the motor with connections from the feedwires where I put spade connectors onto the motor terminals,not easy to do.. But eventually the motor did pack in...I bought a new one as I considered the amount of work involved in putting a second hand one in,I didn't want to go through with that job again...You should always change the cabin filter as well,as the Main Dealer told me this is what causes the resistor pack to give up...The above method ,taking out the windscreen, would I imagine be much quicker but I wouldn't be that confident doing it ..If you are careful and follow the removal proceduresas I did its not too difficult...and you're sitting down for most of it.

Back