2006 K12 Micra (automatic) blower motor removal

Just returned from a trip, and my wife advises that the heater fan in her 2006 K12 Micra is not working. It doesn't work in any of the speed positions, 1 through 4. We are surrounded by trees, and occasionally the fan has sounded like it had a leaf in it, but has normally cleared after a time. She said just before it stopped completely, it sounded like a leaf was in there again. I understand that if the fan works in high speed, position 4, then it is likely to be the resistor, so assume I can rule this out, although I have removed the glovebox and the resistor pack and will test the resistor shortly. The 2 x 15A blower motor fuses are intact, so am about to look at the blower motor itself. Reading on various blogs, I understand that in order to remove the motor, I need to remove the instrument panel assembly, which I am not looking forward to !!! Does anyone know if this is in fact necessary or is it possible to remove the motor without doing this. There is a YouTube video saying that it can be done, but one minute the motor is in situ, the next it's on the bench being tested, it doesn't actually show it being removed.

Any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

OP
OP
P
After removing the 2 pieces of trim at the side of the windscreen and the upper instrument panel cover (very simple job) I was able to access the blower motor connector, and after confirming there was power to pin number 1 with ignition switched on, and that there was continuity to ground from pin number 2 though the switch/resistor pack in all 4 positions, everything pointed to the blower motor being the problem, but there was also continuity through the motor itself. Before taking more of the instrument panel off, and removing the motor completely, I wanted to confirm that the motor was in fact not just jammed with a leaf (we are surrounded by pine trees) or something, so released the motor from the housing (by pulling back on the clip and rotating clockwise, and pulling it out of the housing as far as I could). Made sure the rotor could spin freely, and put it back. After reconnecting, and testing....hey presto it worked, so didn't have to remove the blower motor completely after all !!! Moral of the story....stop parking under the pine trees at night :)

OP
OP
P
Looks like the above was premature........ever since it was "fixed" the fan has continued to operate intermittently......as soon as I touch the fan at all after it stops it operates again, and can continue to do so for 1 hour, 1day, 1 week.......totally unpredictable :-( . It does not appear to be binding anywhere, as when it is operating it's quiet.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Looks like the above was premature........ever since it was "fixed" the fan has continued to operate intermittently......as soon as I touch the fan at all after it stops it operates again, and can continue to do so for 1 hour, 1day, 1 week.......totally unpredictable :-( . It does not appear to be binding anywhere, as when it is operating it's quiet.
See my post HERE for how to fix it..................

OP
OP
P
Sorry for delayed response. I had already removed the connector, and replaced it with spade connectors, probably after finding your post or a similar one. What I hadn't realized was that the spades were different sizes, so after reading your post, I changed one of the connectors to the smaller spade....still no improvement, I am starting to think it is a commutator/brush issue, as once the motor is running, it continues to run, but once stopped, it may or may not start. Now the warmer weather is here, might have to tackle replacing the motor :-(