K11 Throttle bodies?

Hi,

been going through indiction systems and having a listen to some videos and a friends car I have thought about going down the throttle bodies route.

I would like to know

Cost to do them properly (big throttle bodies)

Pro's of TB's
Con's of TB's

If someone has fitted them to a K11 how much BHP/ibs did they make improvement wise?

Also would it be best to convert the 1.0 to a 1.3?

Ta (Y)

hi there well to start with.

1. cost, expensive lol. even bike bodies can be expensive but in my opinion the better option. i don't know of any direct bolt on kits although there probably is.

2. pro's, more power, more responsive, awesome sound (Y)

3. cons, non except expense and maybe some low down drivability issues.

4. power, you will probs see anywhere from 15-30 bhp with bodies alone. but with mods they can produce big power.

5. conversion, 100% yes if your going down the tuning route. with the 1.3 you are 20bhp up on the 1.0 and you will have more torque as well.

if your serious about it and want the power to be affective consider doing the exhaust and cams as well. this is why it really gets expensive cause if you want it to work properly you have to do the other mods. unless you are mechanically minded and don't mind a bit of D.I.Y you can get of lot of stuff from scrap yards and make parts fit like exhausts, I.T.B's, manifolds ect ect. and its like a million times cheaper lol.(Y)

Pros
-------
1. More torque
2. More power
3. Larger powerband compared to the same cam on the same engine
4. Greater throttle response

Cons
-------
1. Expense
2. Noise, (they're damn loud!)
3. Possibility of not having room for the brake booster due to dimensional constraints, so a heavier pedal.
4. Possibility of poor power output if the inlet tract is not optimised, (too short is usually the case)
5. Requirement for standalone engine management, (linked to cost)

Power gains are entirely dependent on the setup you have, so they can vary. We gained almost 20bhp peak with a 264 cam, so sr20buds figures aren't too far off there. I would however only recommend opting for ITB's if you are trying to squeeze good top end power from the K11 on a wilder than stock cam where things like valve overlap can be somewhat compromised on a plenum setup.

What I will say is the myth regarding low end torque is just that. Sure if you do a pull from idle up to peak power you may see some losses below 1500rpm, but if you are looking for throttlebodies you are looking for power and have to ask yourself are you really going to be using below 1500rpm much? We showed no losses on the same dyno when switching to throttlebodies and the dyno graph goes down as far as 2000rpm, (can't prove down to 1500rpm), and it's still more torquey on the same cam than the stock inlet manifold.

I would never go back to the stock inlet but I am not everybody and I am looking for a specific thing in the car to go with many other items which have been upgraded and improved.

Edit: Spelling, typos......wasn't fully awake obviously lol ;)

Cons
-------
2. Noise, (they're damn loud!)

surely this is a pro, not a con!
That one's completely subjective! :laugh:

My MR2 with full stainless system, decat and induction kit sounds ridiculous but I love it, but the 406 is nice and quiet, and I also love it for driving to work in and stuff! :)

Bike throttle bodies or carbs sound awesome, especially if you run the carbs without filters :grinning:. Not that I'd recommend that though, of course :wasntme:. But couple that with a completely straight through big bore heat-wrapped exhaust system, that would sound mint (Y). Would probably get a lot of popping and burbling on overrun, maybe even a spit of flame :laugh:

Yeah, I think you would need a seperate ECU for throttle bodies or carbs, the stock ECU just wouldn't be able to to cope with the fuelling

Back