k11 temp gauge not going up

my k11 micra temp gauge wont heat up to half way were it supposed to be. I was thinking the thermostate was stuck but if i drop a gear and floor it it sumtimes shoots up to half way then goes back down within a few mins of driving. any advice before i change my thermostate

1. test the gauge needle is working within range by unplugging the gauge sensor (single blade connector) and grounding the plug to simulate full hot. the needle should rise all the way up to red hot, if its not high enough then the needle needs reshifting on the shaft. its just held by friction so move the needle up till it stops then push it abit more by the extra amount needed to be in the correct working range.

2. take out the gauge sensor and test its within spec

3. if they're both fine, then the thermostats stuck open

Hi, Where is the thermostat? And how eay is it to chnage?
I have a similar problem but the other way around, my guage is stuck at the top. Already swapped coolant sensor to no avail. When I disconnect sensor the needle drops to min.
Thx
Jon

I already tested the thermostat and it works fine and the gauge needle somtimes goes to normal then back down to the bottom. Probly a loose connection. Were is the temp gauge sender locatated. I know wat it looks like but jus cant find it.

1. test the gauge needle is working within range by unplugging the gauge sensor (single blade connector) and grounding the plug to simulate full hot. the needle should rise all the way up to red hot, if its not high enough then the needle needs reshifting on the shaft. its just held by friction so move the needle up till it stops then push it abit more by the extra amount needed to be in the correct working range.

2. take out the gauge sensor and test its within spec

3. if they're both fine, then the thermostats stuck open

I grounded the wire that comes from the gauge sensor. Its a single orange wire. when i grounded it nutin happened. The needle didnt budge. What else can i try. Thanks

all the other gauges n dash lights etc work during IGN right?
the temp gauge takes the same 12v supply as the rest of the dials so if ur shorting the orange temp gauge sensor wire to the chassis or engine block and the dial stays down at Cold then the temp gauge dial could be dead. the fuel/temp gauge cluster can be removed seperately to replace from another similar working unit to keep the odometer reading

Mine is doing sort of the same, but it wobbles and sometimes goes up high, but if I'm on the motorway for a bit like a minute or two at 80 km/h it drops to the bottom super fast, and although the fan never kicks when it goes a bit highee than mid, after inspecting under the bonnet everything is good, and coolant is almost at the lid of the radiator and not boiling or anything :s I'm at a loss :(

Back