K11 Sump Woes. Need a bit of advice.

I've got a K11 1.0 I use for work, I'm hoping to sort some mods out in the near future (suspension and weight saving mostly).

I hit a patch of standing water on my way to work last week, it was big enough to throw water right over the bonnet.
Silent running (my micra) did amazingly well and after misfirring for 2 miles or so was fine and dandy.
BUT it looks like the impact has finished off an already rusty sump, its now leaking the black stuff everywhere.
I fashioned a repair (temporary) with chemical metal but it won't hold forever.
(see the attached image)
I just need to know if the K11 sump will come off without removing the exhaust downpipe ?
I'll happily photograph the whole process and put a how to guide up for anyone interested.

Thanks in advance

Melv

Attachments

• DSC_0599.JPG
    DSC_0599.JPG
    998.7 KB · Views: 576
Someone may know better as I've never removed the sump in situ always had the engine out, but I don't think it will come past the exhaust. You have to lower the sump straight down quite a way 80ishmm at a guess from memory to clear the big end bearing cap. Obvs never really take a proper photo of this but for reference...

BearingCap.jpg
DansSump.jpg

Don't know why the bottom image is upside down and I've now given up trying to turn it around!! :mad:

Thanks guys I had a feeling that was the case :-(
I've just a brand new old stock nissan one for £35 from Germany. Ironically the same price as a 2nd one from eBay?
I'll do a bit of video guide and post a link to it.
I'm sure I won't be the last that needs to change it.
Thanks for the advice.

MELV OUT

Good luck
Just be REALLY thorough cleaning up the mating surfaces and make sure the lip of the sump is perfectly flat. (People lever them off and bend the lip)

I changed the sump last year, I removed the exhaust manifold from the head as the nuts/bolts for the cat/manifold looked a bit iffy to me

Back