K11 Insurance: How old? What mods? How much? Who with?

I thought it would be good to get an idea of members insurance premiums for the K11 as I am beginning to think I am being ripped off monumentally (as a typical young driver should) so I'm gonna kick it off with my ridiculous price.

How old? 18
What mods? None
Price? 1800 a year :O
Company? LV Car Insurance
No Claims Bonus? None

Maybe a little high but you're 18, no doubt drive like a douche and have 0 years NCB.

GoCompare.com

Add your parents as named driver, might take it down., might not.

Paying in full is the cheapest option

My first year to give you an idea:

How old? 16
Model? 1.0 LX 1995
What mods? None
Price? 1,200 Annual paid in full
Company? Tower Insurance
No Claims Bonus? None
Postcode: IM31LP

Maybe a little high but you're 18, no doubt drive like a douche and have 0 years NCB.

GoCompare.com

Add your parents as named driver, might take it down., might not.

Paying in full is the cheapest option

"Drive like a douche" Lol! I own a yellow Micra if I drove like a douche it would stand out like a saw thumb :L

And I always got told compare sites are more expensive compared to when you go direct?

"Drive like a douche" Lol! I own a yellow Micra if I drove like a douche it would stand out like a saw thumb :L

And I always got told compare sites are more expensive compared to when you go direct?

Sometimes, but they're def worth a shot.

For the past couple of years I've paid my insurance in full on my dad's 0% purchase credit card.

No interest and then you pay the credit card off monthly.

You lot were all ripped off
My first year
Model: K10 1.0ls
Mods: None
Price £400 a year

Today
Same K10
Many many many mods all declared
2 years NCB (but no accidents)
Price: £400 a year

Exactly! What pisses me off is all the people that claim whiplash etc... When they are fine which bumps premiums up for everyone!
Britain has the weakest necks in Europe its been well proven.

Of all people. Jeremy Clarkson got it spot on...

Insurance companies charge young people rediculous amounts of money because they're classed as accident prone. Well if insurance companies didn't charge young people so much maybe they would have money spare to buy a newer safer car rather than the rot box in a layby

How old: 35
What mods: An exhaustive list
Price: £245 fully comp (limited mileage)
Company: REIS
No Claims Bonus: 6 years

You lot were all ripped off
My first year
Model: K10 1.0ls
Price £400 a year

Today
Same K10
Many many many mods all declared
Price: £400 a year

Sounds like we were!

My first year:
Model: K10 1.0 LS
Price: £1000 a year

Today:
Model: Celica VVTi
NCB: 4 years
Price: £430 a year

Insurance is daylight robbery.
Why?
Because we're stupid.
Will this change?
No.
Will we pay it anyway?
Yes.

first year:
Model: Facelift Saxo 1.1
Price: £2000 a year

Today:
Model: K11 1.3 super s
Mods: Lowering, harnesses, buckets, alloys+tyres, intake, backbox, brakes, grill
NCB: 0 years
Price: £920 a year (+120 for declared mods

first year:
Model: Facelift Saxo 1.1
Price: £2000 a year

Today:
Model: K11 1.3 super s
Mods: Lowering, harnesses, buckets, alloys+tyres, intake, backbox, brakes, grill
NCB: 0 years
Price: £920 a year (+120 for declared mods
920?? Madness.

First year: I passed in sept 2011 so i started proper driving in feb 2012. I used to have problem with these insurances cos of my parents' points issues. In june 2012, i started my own fully comp with direct line.
Model: Nissan Micra GX 1.0 1996
Price: Fully Comp £3000 per year with monthly payments
Company: Direct Line
No Claims Bonus: None

I know its an expensive price but i don't have time to look around with cheaper insurances so i ended up with a good company.:rolleyes:

Second year: June 2013 to June 2014
Model: Nissan Micra GX 1.0 1996
Price: Fully Comp £1150 per year with monthly payments
Company: Direct Line
No Claims Bonus: One year so far

In next month, i am going to change my car from gx to super s. i hope it will be same price as second year. if not then it will be increase a small amount. Anyway, i want to get two year no claim bonus then i can find a good company with lower price with full mods declared.

My first year with my Daewoo Matiz 0.8l
Model: Daewoo Matiz SE+
Policy; Parents
Price: £1176 + Deposit paid monthly

The Micra ( Second Year :D )
Model: K11 1.0L GX
Mods: Manifold/Exhaust, Alloys, Filters, Lowered < 5cm, Windows Tinted, Exterior Decorative Changes
Policy: My Own with Parents Added
Price: £112 a month over 10 months bonus accelerator

Model: K11 1.0
Mods: coilovers, exhaust, wheels, i told them about the different bumpers but they werent interested in that, i even told them i put a 1.3 in it
Price £450 (mods cost £100)
company: adrian flux

Forget the 920, 2000 for a 1.1 Saxo at 19?????? :O I thought mine was a lot!
Try £2500 on my Spitfire at 19 lol. Tbf that was stage 2 engine with slightly hotter cam, lightweight flywheel, uprated clutch, mgb racecar k&n pankake filters, GT6 backbox and greenstuff pads

Try £2500 on my Spitfire at 19 lol. Tbf that was stage 2 engine with slightly hotter cam, lightweight flywheel, uprated clutch, mgb racecar k&n pankake filters, GT6 backbox and greenstuff pads

my old capri (cosworth engined) cost my £4500 at 18 but had to be done :D

Mjtm... This flux policy, is it a modified car policy? I'm gonna be looking for one once I've rebuilt the car again. (taking it off and running a polo for a while).
I need a decent price as I'm not sure I can use my no claims for both at once :/

I've been doing some comparing quotes today this is how it stands for my 1.0 Inspiration:

Current insurance - LV Car Insurance - 1800
GoCompare.com - 1900 Cheapest
Admiral - 4500 :O
Aviva - 2250

I will do some more but it's looking like I'm not gonna find any cheaper to be honest.

insurance is the biggest scam in the world.and generally the most lied about too.youll have people telling you they only paid this tiny amount.like the ones who say theyre 19 and only paying 3-400 a year,and your thinking 'why cant i find a quote like that?'.the short answer is...theyre lying.either that or theyre telling the insurance companies huge whoppers.or theyve agreed an insurance excess that runs into thousands of pounds.the sad fact is at 18 youre gonna pay in excess of a grand.and dont get fully comp on an old micra.it may be your pride and joy,but to your insurance company its an old car thats worth a couple of hundred quid.at its age even a dented wing will have the car written off.yes you can get a wing from a scrappy for a tenner and get it painted by a sprayer as a homer for 50 quid.but to the insurance company its 200 for a wing from a dealer plus 200 dealer price to paint it.then the labour for fitting.that 60 quid wing is about 500 quid now.

first year:
Model: Yaris 2004 - 1.3
Price: £1200 named driver
With : Churchill

Today:
Mods: None allowed
NCB: 4 years named driver discount with Churchill
Price: £67 a month or £880 upfront.

first year:
Model: Yaris 2004 - 1.3
Price: £1200 named driver
With : Churchill

Today:
Mods: None allowed
NCB: 4 years named driver discount with Churchill
Price: £67 a month or £880 upfront.
No mods allowed? How'd you cope??

'Sent from my bed using paper planes'

Age 61 (in 2 weeks)
Premium - £119:) iirc That's to much imo.
Company - Ageas iirc
The missus - £84
Don't wish your life away to get these premiums ;)

Not all Mods bump prices up..
Stuff like brake upgrades and rollcages.
My car is that full of safety equipment it cut my price by around 50-60% with engine declared.
Modifications like lowering springs will see your premium rise (in all honesty your just wasting money) because in the insurance eyes that car is now not standard and its handling capabilities are an unknown

When I stop to think about it. I've had alot of people in the shop that mention insurance and I get to see first hand how modifications change peoples policies.

My advice is drive your car as standard. Keep your insurance low. Get a years no claims or 2. While in the mean time save up for those modifications... AND DECLARE EVERYTHING!!!.. if you dont then why bother insuring it?

Not all Mods bump prices up..
Stuff like brake upgrades and rollcages.
My car is that full of safety equipment it cut my price by around 50-60% with engine declared.
Modifications like lowering springs will see your premium rise (in all honesty your just wasting money) because in the insurance eyes that car is now not standard and its handling capabilities are an unknown

When I stop to think about it. I've had alot of people in the shop that mention insurance and I get to see first hand how modifications change peoples policies.

My advice is drive your car as standard. Keep your insurance low. Get a years no claims or 2. While in the mean time save up for those modifications... AND DECLARE EVERYTHING!!!.. if you dont then why bother insuring it?

Well said!
My plan is too keep my current car standard and when/if I hit a years no claims buy a 1.3 Micra as a present for myself and spend another year modifying it and then get it on the road with everything declared...

Or that's the plan.....

Exactly pal. I'd rather not get my first year of insurance cancelled which will completely do me over.

But there's also 'first car syndrome' where you'll treat it like a child and really look after it.

How old? 18
What mods? None
Price? 1300 a year :(
Company? LV Car Insurance
No Claims Bonus? None

If your parents are with lv its well worth telling them and getting a multi car policy if you live with them that is :/ dropped mine from about the 1800 mark to the 1300 I paid :) or failing that see if the company their with does a similar scheme.

In about 2 weeks
How old? 19
What mods? None
Price? 646 a year
Company? Diamond (yep that's right the insurance company aimed at women :p )
No Claims Bonus? 1 year

Me and my girlfriend got insured with Tesco Fully Comp when we were both 20 with zero years NCB for £1200 (paid monthly) on our 97' 1.0 Shape

Our renewal was too high with Tesco (£900) so swapped the following year (at age 21 with me having 1 year NCB) to Endsleigh (as we are students) for £590 in total paid up front.

When I bought my new 93' Super S and gave the 1.0 to my girlfriend my quote dropped to £560.

I then had to swap to a different insurer as they wouldn't cover the mods on the Super S at all (lowered suspension / wheels) so I searched around and got a quote from Adrian Flux for £1200 Fully comp (still 1 years NCB at age 22), all mods declared (and all non BHP enhancing mods free to add) and best of all, It covers me for other vehicles third party with the owners permission! Which I thought was not given by insurers until you reached 25, it is useful for driving my dads (3.0 V6) car and my mates Triumph GT6 :D

The policy was through Adrian Flux but is with an insurer called Red Star Equity. I have had a really good experience with Adrian Flux and they even helped me cancel my insurance free of charge (with Endsleigh) as they informed me that I should not have been sold the policy on my Super S if they were not willing to cover the mods in the first place (I did tell Endsleigh about the mods when I took the insurance but they said to add them later). So I phoned Endsleigh and sure enough they stopped the policy free of charge (although I lost the 4 months extra of NCB I was building up).

All in all Adrian Flux is worth a shot. On another note, my girlfriend got her 97' 1.0 insured for £500 with admiral with her dad on the policy at age 22 with zero NCB. I have always found it is worth shopping around for insurance for a week or so and changing all the data to minimise the quote. My second years insurance (with Endsleigh) dropped by £150 when I changed the annual mileage from 3,000 to 12,000, which doesn't make any sense :p

I hate you.

Not as much as I hate the fact I end up spending all weekend working on it instead of my car :rolleyes: especially when it comes to the DIY style wiring..

I say it's GT6, the rear is a spitfire and the front is a one piece LeMans style GT6 bonnet (the kind that makes up the entire front of the car) and opens up from two catches on the side. Its also a convertible and has a 2.5L Vitesse engine. Not really sure what is it tbh :p

Sorry for thread hijacking

Back