k10 suspention

robbluek10

Ex. Club Member
hi all i no this has prob been covered a millions times but just need some advice i want to lower my car 35mm but need some new shocks as mine are prob nackered and i am wantong to no what the difference is between the kyb oil and gas shocks as there the same price which ever i go for and i am looking for handling more than anything so please help a micratear in need lol

cheers rob

Hia rob.

very roughly....Gas is bumpier/firmer and oil is more comfortable

but new oils will handle MILES better than Worn oils (stock suspension is oil)

oils tend to have a shorter life i think (3-5 years optimim ?)

i am looking for handling more than anything

cheers rob

If this is your main priority, then TYRES (& wheels depending on your target tyre) are a MASSIVE influence on handling so you could look at this too

I would say from my experience that the difference in 'ride' & 'handling' between oil and gas is less noticable than the difference between good quallity - well proportioned, good quallity tyres and not budget stock tyres

tyres have a big effect on 'wallow' 'grip' 'under/over steer' & 'accelleration & braking' too.

i have gasses on and imo are very good improvement, ive never had experiance of new/uprated oils so cant really compare, but i would deffo recomend gas ones if you can cope with the odd uneven road surface.

very roughly....Gas is bumpier/firmer and oil is more comfortable

I know this is all opinion based but i still completely disagree with this. I'd say it was the opposite way round. I had Oil, and there's no way that was a 'comfortable' ride... I've just sold them to Sammiboy so would be interesting to see what he thinks.

The gas KYB shocks and 35 mm lowering springs from bypartsbuy is a great set up, and costs around £200 delivered!

It sticks to the corners great, but it also depends on the tyres, get some alloys with 195w tyres on and your be laughing! :)

ok this all sounds good to me will prob go with gas then and i will get lowering springs what are monroe shocks like

give me your standard shocks and springs with a few quid on top and you can have a excellent handling suspension setup!

monroe gas uprated shocks all round
custom lowering springs for a figaro

you will struggle to find a better combo imo

ok fordy how much is a few quid and i was looking at them monroes on ebay lol and fordy i would need u to send me them first as i need to use the car from next thursday onwards and once fitted i would send my old ones to u lol

rob, im off to fordys on saturday morning. if you got the cash and can whip your shocks off by then, i could take and exchange for you, then all you got to do is collect them from mine.

Just an idea....

rob how much are you looking to buy them for

technically we should be talking over msn as im not a paid member again more lol

quick while the mods are away lol

monroe uprated gas shocks ( i brought these new and they had about 7k miles on them so basically new
+ new uprated bumpstops all round
+ 35mm custom lowering spring off a figaro

£120 for the shocks, springs etc + swap with your old ones

ok cool stuff i will check my funds and let u no tomorrow

hi alien10 add me to msn and we can have a chat about our cars and the future plans for them if u would like lol

as im not a paid member again more lol

DUDE??????

get it sorted :)

I'd say it was the opposite way round. I had Oil, and there's no way that was a 'comfortable' ride...

DEPRIVE ME OF ETHANOL!!!!!! (an original curse/cuss that I just made up...lol)

Alan,

that has to be the most respectable comment & oppinion on suspension that Ive read since joining!! WELL INTERESTING!!

do you mean that FIRM is more comfortable in certain peoples oppinion

OR

that gas is not 'firmer/bumpier' as such but oil has too much o9scillation / underdamped

OR other

cool eyeopener

Ive only been apassenger in a gas suspension car...everything that ive driven has been oil

DEPRIVE ME OF ETHANOL!!!!!! (an original curse/cuss that I just made up...lol)

Alan,

that has to be the most respectable comment & oppinion on suspension that Ive read since joining!! WELL INTERESTING!!

do you mean that FIRM is more comfortable in certain peoples oppinion

OR

that gas is not 'firmer/bumpier' as such but oil has too much o9scillation / underdamped

OR other

cool eyeopener

Ive only been apassenger in a gas suspension car...everything that ive driven has been oil

Mate you are insane :p

I get the impression people refer to 'best' suspension as a smooth ride, but with good handling. That's exactly how my KYB's were when i drove it from Scotland to Sussex with an engine in the boot, and on lowering springs. Really comfy! Gliding over all the bumps and stuff in the road. Ems even managed to fall asleep.

In my K10 with Boge shocks and Spax Springs, the car would be extremely hard. If you push down on the bonnet to test the bounceyness, it wouldn't move very far! If you hit a bump, you would feel it in your back. The headunit cuts out on larger bumps as the vibration goes straight through the car - as if there was no suspension at all! You feel in control 100%, and there's barely no roll whatsoever going round corners!! Great fun to drive.

Hope that clears things up lol.

Back