Hello, ans some K10 issues of course

D

David K

Hello everyone,

I drive a MICRA K10 S/R (1.2, 5speed), from -89, with about 125k on the meter, and surprisingly enough, I have some issues with it...
Although one issue turned out to be a good one, all the lights in my dashboard died, and the local spare parts store couldn't tell me what Watt to put in, so I used James' guide to put in LEDs instead, thanks James.

1) There is an oil leakage from below the dashboard, and when searching this in google, I found a thread in this forum, but I cannot find it now..
So I begin by posting that question again.

The speedometer cable is leading gearbox oil, up to the back of the dashboard, and then it leaks out, dripping down to the mat.
I wonder were the actual problem lay:
Does anybody know if the oil should go up in the speedo cable,
i.e. should it be oil tight at the gearbox side, och the dashboard side of the cable?
I have bough a new from the scrappies, so I guess that I soon will find out,
but if this also fails, I might need some input.

2) I have the rear wiper disconnected (as it was when I bough the car), since it is dodgy when it works, and it causes the fuse to blow. It seems like a grounding error, but I would like to know if you have any tips which grounding points to check?

3) I have headlight wipers, but the actual rubber is frayed, does anybody know where to buy these (online, or in Sweden)?

Thanks for a great forum
br
David

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Hi David

ill do my best to answer your questions

1) ive never known a speedo cable to feed oil up from the gearbox into the cabin, the speedo cable is greased to keep it free moving, i would suggest removing the cable from the gear box (held in with a 10mm bolt) and checking for any damage. at worst you would need a new speedo cable but this would be very easy and cheap to replace.

2) if you open the boot and remove the metal cover panel on the inside of the boot you will be able to see the wiper motor, you will be able to see the earthing points for the motor itself in here (eartch cables will be black) you may find a leak or bad connection here. also there is a rubber shield that feeds the wire from the boot into the cabin check that for damage.

3) we dont have these in the UK im sure that your nissan garage will be able to order you these or your local motor factors (car parts supplier)

hope this helps you

all the best
Speedle

OP
OP
D

David K

Thanks, Speedle,

I'll investigate, and post an update.
all the best
/David

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Speedle said:
1) ive never known a speedo cable to feed oil up from the gearbox into the cabin, .

Well mine is one that does bud! If you remove the dials, there's a puddle of it sitting behind there. It also drops down onto the wiring below.

Welcome to the forums David

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
David K said:
Hello everyone,

I drive a MICRA K10 S/R (1.2, 5speed), from -89, with about 125k on the meter, and surprisingly enough, I have some issues with it...
Although one issue turned out to be a good one, all the lights in my dashboard died, and the local spare parts store couldn't tell me what Watt to put in, so I used James' guide to put in LEDs instead, thanks James.

1) There is an oil leakage from below the dashboard, and when searching this in google, I found a thread in this forum, but I cannot find it now..
So I begin by posting that question again.

The speedometer cable is leading gearbox oil, up to the back of the dashboard, and then it leaks out, dripping down to the mat.
I wonder were the actual problem lay:
Does anybody know if the oil should go up in the speedo cable,
i.e. should it be oil tight at the gearbox side, och the dashboard side of the cable?
I have bough a new from the scrappies, so I guess that I soon will find out,
but if this also fails, I might need some input.

common problem nissan has a fix for this,i will get a copy of the bulletin for you guys

David K said:
2) I have the rear wiper disconnected (as it was when I bough the car), since it is dodgy when it works, and it causes the fuse to blow. It seems like a grounding error, but I would like to know if you have any tips which grounding points to check?

the ground point will be near the wiper motor iirc

David K said:
3) I have headlight wipers, but the actual rubber is frayed, does anybody know where to buy these (online, or in Sweden)?

you can get the rubber bits and cut them to length in most motor shops now

....just a couple of other thoughts

could the 'oil leak' be brake fluid leaking from master cylinder and dripping down the break pedal?

Also, I thing a 'tired' wiper-motor will pop fuses even if the wiring is good.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
SammoHung said:
....just a couple of other thoughts

could the 'oil leak' be brake fluid leaking from master cylinder and dripping down the break pedal?

Also, I thing a 'tired' wiper-motor will pop fuses even if the wiring is good.

the master cylinder is in the engine bay and the pipes do go inside the cabin at all

Speedle said:
the master cylinder is in the engine bay and the pipes do go inside the cabin at all

Yup, but I was thinking of fluid running from the master cylinder piston (not from any of the pipes pipes)..worn piston seals?, through the vacuum servo unit..split diaphram? & down the booster push-rod (through the bulkhead and into the cabin) and then down the padal..and ultimately onto the floor..

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
if that was the case the car would run out of brake fluid in no time and the braking would be very poor, like fordy sais its a common problem so i doubt the master cylinder is the problem

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
heres the fix for the oil up the speedo cable

the gearbox breather,
undo the 2 tabs on the cap,
take off the cap,
remove the spring and spring seat,
clean cap and refit insuring the tabs are tight again

job done

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
its a little metal pipe the comes out and up and metal cap on top i dont remember where it is located tho

OP
OP
D

David K

Thanks Fordy!

The breather look like a mushroom, and is just below the distributor.
It's cleaned now, and I've ridden some 100miles without leaking. Great.

I haven't gotten round to the other issues yet, but I will...
Now I've got some new questions:

4) The two front drainhoses to my sunroof are clogged, and I have tried to unblocking them by blunt force, but the thing that blocks is still stuck.
Does anybody know were these hoses come out, i.e. what to remove to get to the lower end?

br
David

OP
OP
D

David K

Hi again,
I've foud a little cardboardish lid inside the cabin, were the floor meets the walls, and behind this the drain hose was situated. It was stock with dust, so I cleaned it, and now the water pours like it should, so now I could even drive it in Britain.. ;-)

New issue

5) When accelerating, and gently letting the gas pedal up, the car can sometimes make a little jerk (unproportional to the decrease in gas).
Is this something anybody else recognise, or even know the cause of?
The small filter in the filter housing is clogged (the PCV? filter), could this have anything to do with this?

/David