windscreen safety grooves-opinion?

R

RBadding

I have just had one of my Micras done with those safety grooves on the windscreen and I have to say that I am surprised at how good I can see out. Has anyone else got these grooves, I would like to hear what other people think about them. I think I will get the other Micra done.

Its grooves that they grind onto your windscreen above the wipers and it keeps the windscreen cleaner, it was in Auto-express a month or two back.

Here is a link to a page on their web site.

http://www.farseertrading.com/html/safety_groove.html

I got the grooves a bit over a week ago and I'm telling you they are working a treat. motorway driving, stuck behind a lorry, no problem!

I want to talk to other 'groove fans' though, see if everyone agrees they are the D's B's. or if mine are a fluke.

I think I might get Micra#2 done anyway but its worth asking around.

Great, the ant-swear thing recons I am swearing and is blanking it out!
the missing letters in that last post are :-
(a) and then (r) and then (s) and then (e)

wouldnt cutting grooves in the windscreen weaken it? the windows are important as they help maintain the cars structure if you roll it. still, if it dosnt affect the strength of the windscreen then it sounds pretty cool :D

I thought that, these groves are apparently only about as thick as a humans hair, and tests appear that it would seem not. I am curious I must admit.

Ed

RE: RE: windscreen safety grooves-opinion?

our marvelous leader Ed said:
I am curious I must admit.

Ed

Am I the only one who sat there laughing for ten minutes? lol yeah? ah ok, i'll get me coyt.

well I guess no one else there has em then. I would like to have heard someone else's experience of these things. I can tell you that mine seem to be making a big difference, its mainly when its really mucky out and cars are kicking up spray, Ive got two cars and the one with these grooves is much better now when the weathers bad. hard to believe that a hairs-breadth groove can make such a difference. the leaflet says that it lengthens the life of the wipers and the screen too but only time will tell.

And while I've got your ear can you tell me what could be causing mine to use oil. Its gradually using more and more, no leaks, just have to top up a lot and it seems to be getting faster. Its uses more than the older one.

Ask this question in K10 or K11 general. Your more likely to have people spot the thread then :)

It was £35. at the time the guy would have done both cars and charged £30 each but I wanted to try it out on one first. I'm gonna get the other one done now though.

RE: RE: windscreen safety grooves-opinion?

DoomPixie said:
wouldnt cutting grooves in the windscreen weaken it?

It does seem strange dont it - surely it has got to be a little weaker at least - but if they have done tests than maybe its marginal

If it works for you and your happy with it then £35 dont seem too bad - washers work well for me though! :upside:

you would think that ANY groove or scratch would weaken it at least a bit but the website recons not. Anyway I guess I won't know till my windscreen smashes will I. they do keep it clean though. I have a stone chip in the corner. maybe I should take a hammer to the screen and say it broke cos of the grooves, apparently they will pay for the replacement screen if the screen breaks because of the grooves.:slm:

Back