K10 MA12 Emissions...

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Its Mot Time :( only this time i will have a 4-2-1 and only the secondary cat on my late '92 K10
does anybody happen to know what the original emissions were for the 1.2 Super S
as i dont have any recording of it on the old mot's both paper and online.

would like to test the system after it has been fully fitted to see if there is much of a difference so i can mot it with no worries.

Thanks Guys/Gals.

Shaun

Edit: the reason i never tested it before hand is because the front pipe rusted and fell off..... lol

Your CO2 reading should be no more than 3.50, since yours is a cat model they'll be looking at you HydroCarbons which the cat is ment to reduce.
If you can achieve close to 0.20% vol on CO and 130ppm (parts per million) of HC then you'll be healthy. There isn't a great deal of difference between the test figures for the cat and non cat models. So don't worry about it as long as you don't overfill with oil or have a dirty air filter it should fly right through.
One other point; i can't remember exactly which date/year it was but vehicles manufactured before that date can legally have thier cats removed as they were not manditory before that date. Check it out on the vosa or government websites.

Your CO2 reading should be no more than 3.50, since yours is a cat model they'll be looking at you HydroCarbons which the cat is ment to reduce.
If you can achieve close to 0.20% vol on CO and 130ppm (parts per million) of HC then you'll be healthy. There isn't a great deal of difference between the test figures for the cat and non cat models. So don't worry about it as long as you don't overfill with oil or have a dirty air filter it should fly right through.
One other point; i can't remember exactly which date/year it was but vehicles manufactured before that date can legally have thier cats removed as they were not manditory before that date. Check it out on the vosa or government websites.
Thankyou porkpie sounds similiar to the haynes manual so does that mean 0.20% -+ ? so 3.7 or 3.3 ? well getting hold of a gas tester on saturday so hopes are low at the moment considering the state of the exhaust. i believe the car needs a cat because 1. was fitted with it from factory and 2. it was registered October 1992 and the last date i think was August :(
ah well as long as it passes i'll be happy!
Thanks again

Shaun

Yes you are alowed + - .05 you should be fine with your 3.5 but that's on the high end of the limit. I looked at an official figured chart last time i was in an mot station and it's worth mentioning that they are not supposed to rev your engine past 2800rpm. I know this because i gripped a mechanic by the neck for red-lining my motor, needless to say he will never make that mistake again... never mess with a micra driver, we're a crazy bunch.

Take it one early morning, when they just open and ask if you can just stick it on the emissions tester before your MOT and see what readings you get. If theyre over, stick the cat back on.

Take it one early morning, when they just open and ask if you can just stick it on the emissions tester before your MOT and see what readings you get. If theyre over, stick the cat back on.

Good idea! problem is the second cat is still on the system and its ok its the first one that was attached to the old manifold... its pretty knackered. :)

I'm sure if push comes to shove you could take the cat from a k11 manifold and make it fit, but just fitting up your EGR pipe again will bring your emmisions down. Given your manifold isn't stock it would need some adjustments but i'm sure you could make up a new one quite easily (and just tell people it's a turbo boost pipe lol).

well should be getting the gas tester today off my old man and will test it once all the egr stuff is off
fingers crossed it should be fine, gonna do a service soon aswell heres to hoping :)

the egr was fitted for reduced NOX emissions aint it, which is,nt tested for on the MOT surely ?
and yours might be tested to the far easier 3.5% CO level shaun (like my LPG)

the egr was fitted for reduced NOX emissions aint it, which is,nt tested for on the MOT surely ?
and yours might be tested to the far easier 3.5% CO level shaun (like my LPG)

Yeah it should be tested for the co2 3.5% vol. I think the haynes mentions something about the nox but fingers crossed it should be ok if not I'm sure I'll make an angry post :)

Back