K10 Brake Disks in bad condition

I had a scraping coming from the front passenger side wheel when I take a sharp right bend. It was definitely not the wheel rubbing so I checked a few things. Bearings felt fine. So I took off the brake disk and It looks pretty bad on the rear side:

P4173840.JPG

I think the ridge on the inside is just made out of brake dust since it just chips off. What surprised me is that the car has just been MOT'd (and given new pads in the process) and they didn't mention it. Is this because they didn't check or because it doesn't really matter? My brakes seem to work fine.

OK the disks are the originals so are 22+ years old but only have 50000 miles on them. But why has this happened? There is evidence that the disk cover (the bit of metal that sits behind the disk) has been scraping against the disk and is quite rusted out, i guess this was my scraping sound. Has anyone else experienced this?

The driver side seems pretty much the same although I couldn't get the disk off to have a proper check.

Is it worth getting new disks (or even upgrading) since the brakes work fine and unless I replace the disk covers it seems like it could just happen again? And replacing the disk covers looks like a hard job.

You dont really want any ridges or owt like that on the disc, as the pad has less to grip onto until it wears in (unevenly). Personally looking at the pic i'd change them, even more so if the pads have just been done. They wont cost you that much to buy standard parts. :)

Thinking back to my K10's pretty sure the disc covers on them had long disappeared when i owned the cars. Just bend them back away from the disc until it doesnt hit.

Yea I think I'll get a new set of standard disks. The pads have already got uneven wear so I'll probably need new pads as well.

When fitted I'll make sure the cover is well out of the way so it won't rub.

Is it worth getting the slightly better Brembo disks? £38 on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brembo-Brake-...CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2e12004b#ht_3654wt_775

Compared to these which almost seem too cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-..._CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb46e4f5b#ht_786wt_702

Just get a bit of sand paper and put it on a table and rub the pads onto the sand paper (making sure the pad is always kept flat) and that will get rid of the uneven wear and glaze.(Y)

My local Nissan dealership just quoted me £37.92 PER DISC!!!

Aren't the Brembo discs supposed to be better than the standard ones yet half the price?!

Back