Bad fuel consumption

A big hello from Singapore. (GMT+8)

I just bought myself a second hand Micra 10.A 1996. I've saw the throttle body soldering guide but I don't seem to have a rough idle and engine stall problem. My engine idles around 900rpm fine even with lights and air conditioning and brakes applied.

BUT I am getting a really bad fuel economy of approx 8km/l. My tank of 30l brings me only about as far as 240km city driving. I've tried various driving style (accelerating really slowly and getting the engine up to 2.5k rpm before releasing the foot pedal a little to get the gears to shift up) didn't help.

Tyres are properly inflated as it looks. I don't know what's the exact pressure to put in since the owner's manual was lost a long time ago.

What could be the problem here?

Does resetting the ECU do any good (taking the batteries off the entire night)? Anybody has good reports on this?

ive a 96 k11 too and it aint great on petrol but i enjoy driving it and it beats most 1.2's on the road and its so reliable so you cant have it everyway i guess. i still average 120miles to 10 euro's on a long run which im happy with considering i always drive it hard

he's gettin it serviced by a mechanic i believe, who also told him the brakes were hot after a test drive which may be from binding brakes.

Thanks pollyp, seems you are reading the .au forums. Yes a brake issue and the air filter was really bad. I got them to do a regular servicing (air filter + oil filter + engine oil + sparks) and get my brakes fixed. Hope that helps, otherwise I might have to try cleaning the o2 sensor.

Back