Just got a new engine

Elliot

Ex. Club Member
I've just got myself another engine. My old MA10 had done 78000 miles, and is on it's way out to be honest. The clutch is going too, so I've just bought an MA10 out of a '91 model which has done 63000 miles. The engine is in perfect condition... no smoking at all, and I also get my 5-Speed box with it which is what I was after too.

I've just got myself a few official Nissan parts from work such as the new Cambelt, Clutch kit, Carburettor overhaul kit, Antifreeze and an oil filter.

I'm picking the engine up this Friday, and I'm going to be replacing the cambelt, Clutch... and cleaning the carb out over the weekend. Then next bank holiday weekend, I am going to fit it into the car on the Friday. :D

-Elliot :laugh:

Mark,

The point is as what I stated in my first post. My current engine is worn. It is loosing compression on number 3 cylinder, as the compression rings on the piston are worn.

Instead of swapping the rings, I have sourced a newer lower mileage engine... which also comes with the added bonus of a 5-speed gearbox.

I didn't want an MA12. There isn't much power difference, albeit there is still more torque in the MA12. I am quite happy with the MA10 thanks. :upside:

-Elliot

Elliot said:
I didn't want an MA12. There isn't much power difference, albeit there is still more torque in the MA12. I am quite happy with the MA10 thanks. :upside:

-Elliot

im sorry but yes there is..

i am soooooooooooooo glad to get back in a 1.2 after driving the 1ltr for a few months. to feel the better acceleration and the non struggle just to get it to a higher speed. relief.

i would recomend the 1.2 ANY day

Well, it seems the chap who I was getting the engine off has pulled out of the deal. :(

I have bought the clutch kit, timing belt... and carburettor refurbishing kit (The gaskets). Would these bits all still fit on a 1.2?

I will be going for the 1.2 instead. I only wanted to get the 1.0 as it was in very good condition.

How much on average would it cost for a 1.2 from a scrap yard with a 5-speed box with around 60,000 or less on the clock?

Would the engine's allready be out in the scrapper?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm not used to scrapyards. :)

Cheers,
-Elliot

I can tell you for a fact the timing belt won't fit, as the 1.2 block is slightly taller and uses a longer timing belt

Shame the deal fell through btw :(

Thanks James, I thought the same about the timing belt.

I just really need to know of how much I would be looking to pay for an MA12 with around 60K miles or under and a 5-speed box with it from a scrapper. :)

-Elliot

Im sorry the deal fell through but you wont regeret going for the 1.2, i just got my car back on friday after a MA12 transplant, there is definitly a noticable difference, the car is more fun to drive! It has much better throttle responce but mine is guzzling the petrol! Although its probly coz im driving it a bit more beacause its more fun! Its like getting on the road for the first time again without the nervousness and dodgy driving-ness!

Cool. :)

How much did you pay for your MA12 with 5-speed gearbox Kev if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want. :)

Cheers,
-Elliot

I will also comment on the diffrerence a 1.2 makes soon aswell hehe. Its in and running, just got a few little things to do to it now then I will post back the differences. :D

Thanks Kev, doesn't sound too bad to be honest. :) I'll see if I can pick one up for cheaper, as there's loads of scrappers around my area. :)

Sounds good Dan, I hope it goes well. :)

-Elliot

Yeah, you'll definitly find a cheaper lower milage one there, its just that their a bit more rare over here because they are major targets for joy rides and they all get burnt out at the end of the night!

I got the whole lot rebuilt, the gearbox and engine. Used my MA10 Carb and air box and manifolds so im putting "custom 4 2 1 manifold" on my list of things to get. I used the clutch from my MA10, and pressure plate from the MA12, new timing belt, oil and filter and fan belt (may as well while the engine is out and you know exactly when it was done!). I kept my NGK-R plugs as they were only new and my hotwires leads because their great!

Does anyone else notice quite a large difference in fuel consumption? Did the standard 1.2's come with larger fuel tanks?

Iirc the clutch kit should fit, the carb servicing kit will for sure (only difference is jet size) Any chance you could get another servicing kit? Only seen these once, on ebay is it a dealer only item?

Probably not much help but I got my 80k MA12 and 5 speed box for a tenner from ebay. Just like telling people that! :p :)

Good luck with the search mate!

Kev, my engine drinks less if that's what you mean. Gets thirsty when I hammer it on the twistys... Not that I ever do that! :) Don't think there was any difference in tank size.

5th gear is so cool for motorways: 300 miles on 3/4 tank (16.50 ish) anyone? :)

Back