just booked its mot...

right quite nervous ive booked my cars MOT hasnt moved off the drive for an entire year now i have gone through the regular checks so wipers lights belts exshaust everything that is like doable by buttons and so on works perfect even the window sprayer thingy, anyhoo i had a look under my car the manifold that ataches to the exhaust has 1-2 holes but when you look through the holes theres another pipe anyway im amsuming the one carrying the fumes so will it fail on having a hole on the outer pipework?

also ive book my mot with halfords... now there rip off merchants 90% of the time but they had a discount so i went with them whos used halfords auto centres before? and if u have please tell me that dont fail you for silly little things.

the holes will more than likely be a fail, can't say I've ever had the inclination to let halfords go anywhere near my car with a spanner

karlj you inspire me with your confidence in the service ive chosen to undertake :p i feel like im about to spend 27 pounds for newt XD

you never know, they may actually know what they're doing but you'll find the majority of people on here have a couple of independent garages that they use

yer this is my first mot so i went for who has the cheapest deal and start from there turns out halfords have the cheapest deal, i found one for a tenna but thought hmmm 10 quid for a full mot will they know what there doing? :p

yeah I'd question why it was a tenner as well, hopefully halfords don't take you for a ride and they know what they're doing

Good look dude.I took mine to halfords this year for the same half price deal they were do'n and mine went strait through :)

north said:
yer hopefully and if i only fail on the holes in the exhaust manifold is that an expensive fix?

You can either repair or replace, mines got a massive crack in it so I'm replacing

The sills and cross member were done before i had the car, but if you need these 3 done i would expect prob a couple of hundred for a new cross member fitted and to have the sills patched up.I have needed a couple of small holes done on mine over the years but only paid about £20 to get them done.Now i just get under it once a year and just treat any thing that looks scabby coz it only gets worse and more expensive to fix if you dont..

right guys massive blow at todays MOT
it failed, but really i knew it was going to fail so that wasn't the shock i got told that the main structure cross members and sills where so corroded its as if i didn't have any and they could easily just tap the rust and it would all break off so yes it failed they then quoted me to fix the damage which came to around £600 which by any standards is alot of money ALOT i only paid 300 for the car, anyway my Micra will be picked up on Monday to be taken to the scrap yard :( got £145 for it though but this means i no longer have my k11 :( it will be severely missed :( :'(

Did they tap it in the MOT? By law they aren't allowed to do anything like that!

Shame to hear about your Micra though, another one succumbs to rust :(

im looking for a new car yes deffinatly and im hoping to find a micra because apart from rust coz of age its a good runner reliable and cheap so k11 hunting is on sadly cant buy one till july after my bday :(

EDIT:
Yes in the MOT they did tap it and rust fell off he said he stuck a probe at the rust to see how badly it was corroded and it all just fell apart :(

I stand corrected about the rust it seems, just for the sake of clarity:
IIRC the MOT tester is allowed to use a plastic hammer thing to knock suspect body sections and listen for the "ping" of good metal or the "thud" of rust. He can use the handle of the hammer to poke rust holes and scrape away loose underseal or scratch fresh underseal to check theres metal under there and not filler!

The special plastic hammer is the only tool they can use to inspect a vehicle, although many use screwdrivers and "real" hammers.

that is very very true :p im very glad i wasnt in the car when all of a sudden it snaps in half lmfao if anyone knows of anyone selling a k11 in good nick for not to much let me know XD

Back