Judder when Idle

Hi,

I am a new owner of a Pao and getting to know how it goes! The car judders quite significantly when idle...anyone know if this is something I need to look into or of its simply a symptom of an old car? Only had it a couple of weeks and not sure if I am over thinking it but it seems to be getting a little worse. It sometimes needs a few revs to start it...can anyone help please?

Mine does that too but I'd just stick in neutral and that helped. But it's just been serviced so next time I drive it I'l see how it feels and let you know if that's helped.

Thanks! Took mine to the garage - there's a small crack in the accelerator cable casing and sometimes it knocks out of place and causes the judder/slow start due to revs being too low. He greased it to stop it sticking and now seems ok. Does yours start ok without putting a bit of gas on? I have to do this more often than not...

I spoke the mechanic about the starting issue on mine, it takes a few go to get it started. I'm use to automatics and sticking your foot on the break to start them but as the Pao isn't fuel injected this isn't needed, he recommended pumping the gas a couple of times or just trying different things or combinations of things but didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with the car.

Since the Pao has a carburetor the correct starting procedure when the engine is cold should be to press the gas pedal to the floor, let off the pedal and turn the key. This will fully or partly close the choke (close the air supply) on the carb (based upon the air temp outside) for a richer air fuel mixture for easier starting. If the car is in good working order you shouldn't have to pump the gas.

Thanks Mark. I've only driven my Pao a handful of times so still learning it's funny little ways. It's going through a series of visits to the workshop to get it tip top as I'm planning on keeping it for a long time and it's my first 'old' car so any tips are gratefully received.

Just a quick update. The Pao came with a 3 quarter full tank of fuel and as I don't use it everyday that has lasted ages. Today I finally filled up and put premium unleaded in and the little fella seems to be running a lot better. Less judder on idle and is more responsive. It could be the fuel was months old and any fresh juice would have helped but I'm going to stick with little and often and nothing but the good stuff.

Thanks all this is all really helpful. Also a new/first time owner of an old car and want to make sure I am running it well in order to take car of it. Thanks!

Back