janspeed manifolds

Does anyone know the inside diameter of the tubing on janspeed manifolds? also the centre to centre spacing of the exhaust ports on a CG13DE, I'm thinking of having a go at making my own custom system using a bike system as a base if its possible. :confused:

A bike system will not work (as well) as the tuning will be totally out since they rev alot higher. No harm in having a go however can you not get a cast item to compare against?

cheers, I'm also looking at a 16valve astra 4-2-1, it'll probably take a little fettling to get it to fit, but you can do just about anything with a grinder and welder.

Can I ask why? I know its good trying new things and being different, but the Janspeed manifold will have been developed to give the best performance for the car.

Due to my car having aircon and there being no decent aircon compatible exhaust manifolds around which are of a 4-2-1 design I shall be making my own later this year.

Basicaly the alternator bracket has to be spaced out from the motor around 25mm.

I will be integrating an IMPUL 4-1 primary design onto a Maniflow/NME design. I am keeping everything in proportion to their original design pieces so the 'tuning' does not change. Basically the centre pipes will be the same as the Maniflow/NME design, the 2 outer runners will be of the IMPUL design (i figure to keep a decent level of 'tuning' I should keep things symetrical).

I could get a Maniflow/NME manifold shipped to australia and have it modified to suit, but that'll be pretty expensive and I would have been better off to import a Fujitsubo or Nismo system from Japan for the same price.

I promise I'll make a thread with pictures, designs, issues faced and the final results when I'm done.

BTW you're probably wondering "why bother?" well the only manifold option in australia is a "hurricane" job which are modified to suit the aircon micras. Its quite a nasty hack job if I may say so myself. And I can build my own with stainless steel (not the cruddy mild steel hurricane use) for approximately 70% of the cost of the hurricanes. It'll be worth it for sure.

scottish-sr said:
Can I ask why? I know its good trying new things and being different, but the Janspeed manifold will have been developed to give the best performance for the car.

As Yom has just said, the air con makes it impossible to fit a janspeed, so it seems the next logical step to make a manifold similar as I can to a Janspeed, rather than spend £180 on a Janspeed and have to alter it to fit which could ruin it in the process, besides that, I'm a tight #### and dont want to spend any money.:p :D :D :D

sonic said:
As Yom has just said, the air con makes it impossible to fit a janspeed, so it seems the next logical step to make a manifold similar as I can to a Janspeed, rather than spend £180 on a Janspeed and have to alter it to fit which could ruin it in the process, besides that, I'm a tight #### and dont want to spend any money.:p :D :D :D

Good stuff, why not just remove the air con though? Im sure a couple of people have done it. It isnt exactly weather here to have air con :p

scottish-sr said:
Good stuff, why not just remove the air con though? Im sure a couple of people have done it. It isnt exactly weather here to have air con :p

That is something that I have been considering, I know it's quite a weight saving so would help with performance and that's what its all about isn't it, but I still fancy a go at a bit of DIY, after all there's no harm in trying is there?

sonic said:
That is something that I have been considering, I know it's quite a weight saving so would help with performance and that's what its all about isn't it, but I still fancy a go at a bit of DIY, after all there's no harm in trying is there?

Absolutely not and thumbs up for giving it a bash, good luck!

Back