James T as of now is driving a K11 turbo.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
James T as of now is driving a K11 turbo!! Ill post some more info soon, but its running a T2 @ 6psi. Needs a fair bit more mapping, but it does go well already!!

Ed

Oooo very interested as to how this is done as im looking into gettin mine turbo'd when i get some cash together!

Daz :alien:

Nice one both of ya!!! Thought it wouldn't be long after Donny that this was done, since the intercooler was in place and ready to be connected. Looking forward to seeing some pics and some power results etc. Well done!!! :D

iirc... he found the kit off ebay. I have chat logs with him from talking about it months ago.... But im not wading though a 60MB text file :s

Hey all, yeah its up and running now Thanks to Ed :D

It's been a very busy last 2-3 weeks for me getting it all ready, I can't thank Ed enough for all his help and guidance, even at only 6psi it has made such a huge difference, it really has transformed the car, its so much more fun to drive now :D

I'll post up some details and things later on as i am about dead atm! but for now i think Ed has all the pics :p

Nis.

haha yes good work ed and ive been out in it today. there is some further adjustments to be amended and a little tinkering here and there will sort that, thena final "Ed Tune" and it will be good to go.

we went out and about in melton today and even with james keeping the revs below 4K i reckon he could have still killed my car lol. over taking was also a breeze, barely trying and just gliding past cars changing through the gears. overall a very very tidy job and the potential is gonna be HUGE cant wait till the tweaks are done.

Fantastic job and james' car gets ever better...not long for the whiteline kit now either.

all in all a very fun day

dave

Well I forgot to save images from my camera GRRRRRRRR HOW ANNOYING. so all the pics i took yesterday have been deleted. Ill take more images next weekend. What a pain though :( Cant recover them either as ive used the memory card since.

Ed

No figures as yet, but it now accelerates faster in 2nd than it did before in 1st :)

Nice 1 James & Ed :)

So when you coming over James? ;) hehe

Looking forward to seeing it run and yes the potential of this as we know with Jo's Turbo K11 is huge.

Kev :)

Here is a poor pick ill have good ones (compleated ones) in a week.

Titch said:
Well done guys!

So is it now a 1.4 turbo?
What sort of power you putting out now mate?

yes its a 1.4 turbo and power wise its definitely well and truly over 110bhp(dont want to guestimate anymore before its fully finished).
first gear the wheels light up at 4K then he has to change, 2nd gear as ed says is better than first was before. seriouly feel it in the back under only mild acceleration, high speeds the car just wants to get up and go at any speed. the tourque increase it the best bit 40mph in fourth will swiftly jump to 60 in a gentle squeeze of the throttle.
james took it on one of his private roads today where his previous best in the N/A setup was 95 plus a little @ full throttle the car giving its all and today we managed 100 n a lil at about 20% throttle. very very impressed.

James should NOT be pushing it yet. :devil:grr its still early and I still have lots to do. Anyway, like to point out that this was not an Ebay kit. Its been entirely assembled from scratch.

Looks very cool.

Would of thought that you'd be getting more power than that from it tho? Take it you will once it's been re-mapped?

What manifold is it your using?
Also - what turbo is it?
Titch :)

Davey C said:
hks manifold IIRC and a T2 garret turbo

HKS one!! bet that cost a few bob!!

Anyway - what clutch/gearbox you using now? Also, you had to upgrade the driveshatts or anything?
Titch :)

he is using all std parts, cluth, gearbox, driveshafts etc

have a feeling the clutch wont last long mind

Davey C said:

Wouldn't of thought so.

Take it he'll be changing everything in due time? Really want to see what kinda power he'll be running at!

Titch said:
Davey C said:

Wouldn't of thought so.

Take it he'll be changing everything in due time? Really want to see what kinda power he'll be running at!

i dont think you will see power readouts till the RR in yorkshire and thats not til the 11th of next month so we will have to be patient. i realy wanna know too i have my guesses but i aint gonna try and predict it

Well what was the standard power of the 1.4?
Did he have anything done to engine other than the filter? Exhaust maybe?
Will be interesting to see who's will be quicker - his or jo's.
Titch :kungfu:

Layla said:
his ebay story was just to cover where he really got the parts from.

I think thats a bit sad to be honest........we're a club, and should be helping one another an exchanging info to tune our cars.....

Please keep this on topic. As for power gains that will all be found later - Be patient. All that matters is that the system is done right. Once everything works and any niggles are out of the way then the fun can begin.

Ed, can you provide a full rundown of what has been fitted?

Also, how difficult did you find it to edit the emanage system, and what software were you using?

Thanks

Sure, Infact any questions feel free to ask, I would much rather this than random made up speculation going round the net. One thing I do ask though is that no one pinches images from the site to post elsewere.

Anyway, James car I must point out has been totally designed from scratch, it is no part of a kit, nor bears any relation to any, except for the fact it has a HKS manifold which are very very hard to get hold of. This and the turbo which is for now a new standard Garret T2 unit, again simply as its a cheap starting point and ideal for the application. Both were obtained by Dave S when he had this for his K11. For the record Dave decided at the time he would probably not fit the turbo to his car for a while so James made an offer which Dave accepted.

The turbo pipework was routed by James with my advice with the shortest route possible. I have to say he did a good job of this. The intercooler is a farily large 12 inch by approx 24 inches all alloy so with the excellent cooling efficiency will see inlet temps little above ambient. This will mean that the engine will be fine with stock headgasket and compresson on this setup. Also just for fun James has a HKS SSQV blow off valve. Oil wise, we are using a custom oil feed which Dave had made whilst the parts were in his hands. The sump was removed and James had an oil return welded to it.

Electronics wise the car has its stock Bosch Motronic ECU with the Emanage on top. Its not an ideal relationship as the Bosch is nothing like the Nissan ECCS, however with a bit of fiddling its now wired in. The Emanage also has the Greddy boost sensor fitted. As for using the actuall e manage. I like them, I have fitted them to a few cars now, and I personally find they are very flexable however support and documentation from Greddy is non existant for non supported models.

Sounds good Ed.

What power are you looking for from it? Wouldn't it be better running after a full re-map of the ECU etc?
What other chips can you use with it?
Titch

For now please ignore power. All I need to say is it will waste any NA 1.3 micra here without trying. If you want a random totally guessed power figure take 120bhp as that is what I estimate it as, by system design alone.

Ed

SR_Micra_Boy said:
All I need to say is it will waste any NA 1.3 micra here without trying.

Pretty much stating the obvious there arent u ed, his 1.4 wasnt exactly slow as std.

See thats what i thought to. Remember that video of Neil racing James at the Pod, and neil getting humped. But thats what i'd expect from a modded 1.4 against a 1.3.
So now - yes it will destroy a 1.3 but should be nailing the likes of vts, 106 gti's, etc etc.
I know it not all about power, but if not then what was it done for!?
My 2p

RE: RE: James T as of now is driving a K11 turbo.

Titch said:
SR_Micra_Boy said:
All I need to say is it will waste any NA 1.3 micra here without trying.

Pretty much stating the obvious there arent u ed, his 1.4 wasnt exactly slow as std.

See thats what i thought to. Remember that video of Neil racing James at the Pod, and neil getting humped. But thats what i'd expect from a modded 1.4 against a 1.3.
So now - yes it will destroy a 1.3 but should be nailing the likes of vts, 106 gti's, etc etc.
I know it not all about power, but if not then what was it done for!?
My 2p

not really imo titch because his 1.4 has (or had) air con and a closed loop lamba system which would have meant putting on a manifold would have been difficult to say the least. If neil had of had his janspeed at the time. Im sure james' car would be have beaten...

Well in the video (think it's in the vids section) Neil gets beaten by him. And yes - neil has the Janspeed to.

SR_Micra_Boy said:

What an utterly usless comment. James car is by far the most heavy K11 in the club. Its more than 1000Kg when he last had it on some scales. It was much slower at santa pod than say Daves Super S. Which is the kind of car my comparison was against. James car was never modded. It had heavy stereo big bodykit and only a K&N.

Also as a side note all K11s have closed loop lambda you have to or it wont pass emissions. That video is very old also (2001) modded 1.3 K11s get easily into the low 17second 1/4miles (even high 16's)

Ed said:
SR_Micra_Boy said:

Also as a side note all K11s have closed loop lambda you have to or it wont pass emissions. That video is very old also (2001) modded 1.3 K11s get easily into the low 17second 1/4miles (even high 16's)

Okay then - so what is so diffrent from Dave S's K11 than Neils?

James car beat Neils (and yes it still didn't have the kit etc on it), but surely the 1.4 would usually beat the 1.3 anyway. (Talking about standard cars here.)

Titch said:
but should be nailing the likes of vts, 106 gti's, etc etc.

hopefully those cars shouldn't even come into the equation...?

Craig said:
Craig said:
What injectors is it running, does it still have 4?
Ed?

Sorry craig missed that. Yes it still has for. As it happens the 1.4 Sport + only uses around 66% of its injectors max anyway. So that leaves another 33% for further room. Unlike the stock MAF however which is nearly on its limits on the standard car. So much so infact that even common NA mods would push it beyond its limits.

Dave S K11 was dynod at around 105bhp. He basically tweeked everything janspeed exhaust intake mods and stuff like that. It is quite possibly the most powerfull NA 1.3 within the MSC. The 1.4 is very heavy standard, its fully kitted out with all mod cons like aircon elec windows etc. Its really only a 1.3 with a true engine size of 1348cc. Infact in Japan nissan sold it as a 1.3 Micra. It does however have 10bhp more than a standard K11.

Finally speaking of 106 gtis etc, they have around 130bhp and it will be around there that James is currently at, possibly a bit less. So they will be similar. Please remember that this is currently in stage 1 of tune. Its to get all systems up and running on a stock engine to asses then what is possible. Obviously with it in mind that James really does not have loads of money to throw into this, and so things shall be planned carfully to minimise any mistakes and get things right first time as much as possible.

Titch said:
Well in the video (think it's in the vids section) Neil gets beaten by him. And yes - neil has the Janspeed to.

nah he got it well after that.

That car never had a janspeed, just a filter and exhaust like james, but mine was runnign on 16's and again had a heavy install in it.

INteresting stuff Ed, do you know if the '1.4' uses different injectors to the 1.3s? Are you going to put a larger MAF in then?
Will be interesting to see what it is like after this weekend :)

Craig said:
Are you going to put a larger MAF in then?

i believe its being treated to a Gtir MAF sensor, and yes i cant wait for the results either i bet james is going crazy about the wait lol. :)

Davey C said:
Craig said:
Are you going to put a larger MAF in then?

i believe its being treated to a Gtir MAF sensor, and yes i cant wait for the results either i bet james is going crazy about the wait lol. :)

Davey C is right, I am just making up the flange fitting now for it ready for the weekend :) Also we should be fitting the uprated 265cc Injectors this weekend if all goes well :)

You have no idea how hard it is to be sat here waiting lol, its like having a big mac attached to your nose just out of your reach! :(

James.

Oh my oh my. What a weekend. James came round on Sunday for the final mapping of his car and also the fitting of the GTIR airflow meter and larger injectors. The fuel rail positioning had to be changed to take the larger end feed 200sx injectors after which these went on fine. Also the since they are low impedance injectors they needed to be fitted with current limiting resistors. After this the Emanage was reprogrammed and appart from a slightly lumpy idle due to the stock ecu being unable to meter the injectors correctly at such low pulsewidths the car was again fine. Next the GTIR airflow meter was fitted and the origional one bypassed. This again was programmed into the e manage and after a bit of tweeking all was well. The fuel system was now capable of more than James would ever need.
Next was the mapping session. Again with the aid of the wideband computer and datalogger we continued on from last time and mapped the upper portion of the rev range. A pretty cool fuel map was created for the engine, however once again it was a constant battle with the Bosche ECU. The correction range of that is nothing short of incredible and was doing its best to counter act everything I was telling it to do. After this was compleated and the engine was pulling cleanly to the redline it was taken to an area where the low end running could be optimised. Eventually this was complete and the car was pretty amazing to say the least. However I was still not happy about the stock ECU doing its best to ruin everything E manage was telling it. At this point it was around 10pm James headed off home and I went to grab some food and a slightly more early night (or so I thought)....
James headed off and I then went to get a pizza (yeah I did ask james too but he said he had to head off and would past some services)
About 30 mins later just as I had a really nice hot pizza to take home (haha) I got a phone call. It was from James. He had broken down on the M25 and his car was warning him of low oil pressure. Uh oh I thought. As he was sat on the side of the M25 so I headed back home and picked up some rope and tools. I arrived to find James just after J6 of the M25 (doh why not just before !!) and checked the car over. There was oil all over the left hand side of the engine bay. Not good. This car would not be driving home under its own steam tonight. So we hooked on the rope and tied his car to the back of the ST and towed him to the next exit/services. Here we had a better look over the car. First inspectons revealed nothing. It had clearly lost oil but it could not be seen where it was from. The only guess was the nylon oil feed to the oil pressure gauge or something related to that, but it was now nearing 12.30 am and knowing full well this car was not going to make it back we made no further inspections and then began to head back to mine. Oh also this guy deserves a quick mention. The services have a back exit to allow in and out emergency traffic and customers to travel lodge. We went into the fuel station and spoke to a guy asking him if he could tell us the code to let us out as it was obviously not safe to drive no the motorway. He flatly refused to help saying the local residence complain and how it was tough there was nothing he would do. So I thanked him for being so useless (It was 1am now, it was late and I was now annoyed by this guts attitude) and said if he read about some artic crashing into us I hoped he would feel pleased with himself. We went back to the services exit and tried to use the intercom to ask travel lodge to have the gate lifted. No reply, then we found a phone number James called it and who hoo we were through..
Back home at mine now nearly 2.30am. James Micra now sitting sadly in the drive kind of summarised the end of the day. Lots of progress followed by failure - all so common in the car tuning world. Thing is now though how was James going to get back? Ultimately it resulted in a search on the internet revealing nothing and then deciding that since I didnt have much to do today I offered to run James and his mate home - at 3am. Not your usual kind of lift! 150 miles later and around 5.30 am I was at James. Watched the sun rise as we drove (ahh lol) and it felt kind of like 8pm the night before except I wanted sleep! Anyway as soon as I dropped them back I headed back home and got caught in the M25 monday morning rush hour to eventually get home at 8.30 where I then went to sleep! Not had any time to inspect the car. I had a few hours sleep but dont fancy getting covered in oil just yet. First stage anyway will be to wash all the crap off the car anyway. That brings me to where I am now. Ill post some pics of during the day however in a moment.

Zzzzz

Back