JAE 2009 IS ON! Dates & location announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Hi all,

Many of you will be aware that it appears that JAE 2009 may possibly feature in September or even not at all, considering the UK weather in September, surely there is more risk of it being a wash out!

Doesn't look like it will be at Mersea Island either and there are rumors of a smaller show which could mean less clubs in attendance and the delay in announcing the date / venue will result in a smaller show! hmm interesting!!! I know it's a thankless job for John and extremely difficult organising this event, but a lot people now need to know where they stand.

There has been no reply on the JAE forums here and we may have to now look at alternative shows to have as our main premier event of the year.

There is the other Jap Show that still takes place at Billing Aquadrome where JAE used to be held at. Obviously I still hope JAE still goes ahead, but with time running out, people needing to book time off work, we maybe better off looking for an alternative event.

Anyone have any suggestions? or know anymore about what's happening with JAE?

thanks
Kev

Ed would be the best person to speak to really, but I really really hope it's not cancelled! I sent him another quick message on facebook so if he writes back, i'll let you know what he says.

mersea was good, just along drive for people up north. altough was worth the drive imo.

as everyone else, i hope its not cancelled...best event of the year by far! it the only event i will attend rain or shine.

really really hope it happens, i know it will p*** alot of people off if it doesnt :s

2007 was brilliant, lots of manufacturers, loads of clubs and car tuning places. distibutors and suppliers, plenty to see, russ swift making people throw up in his evo. toyota was there with an F1 simulator, it was brilliant.\ even a come and try me dyno (i had a go..lol)

then 2008 was just..... poor. the location was ok but very very far away for anyone not in london. hardly any distributors turned up, the Time attack cars decided not to show at all, there was huuuuuge gaps in the fields (and until last thing on sunday didnt even know half of it was there) there was hardly any entertainment other than ED and his projector (that was genius) it was just a poor representation of jae.

i wouldnt be surprised if it was cacelled this year. what with it almost allways being in doubt year on year many clubs dont want to comit to something that may not happen. i mean the Donny show is a given. it will happen regardless. but there just isnt the same sort of orginisation as any of the bigger shows. not that im complaining but 2008 didnt have the same feel as 2007.

Who really cares about distance!? Some people just love to complain! An extra 100 miles will only take an hour and a half, which isn't that much. There's people that drive over from Europe to attend, so that really says something. This is the best car show and weekend of the calendar year! I'd drive thousands of miles to be at JAE. The atmosphere and good times are unrivalled by anything else!

Fuggles said:
getting there! I think it's what is called "final contract negotiations. Slow and painful but has to be done. Will let you know as soon as I can

I've been going to JAE since 04 and they've just got better and better. Howard and the BBQ of 04, James in the camper of 05 (pushing the roof down when your trying to get changed haha), Drunken dodgems of 06, the storms of 07 and the beach and great weather & squarepants on karaoke of 08! They are all memorable events :D and there's still a possibility 09 is happening :)

Not the same type of event, JAE is quite unique really.

Well John has posted up and closed the thread I posted in.

Essex County Council refused to let the venue hold it. They own the venue and got complaints from islanders and locals as well as the highways agency

Plan B was already in place even before the event started but they, on 8 December, "changed their mind". I've been working with another venue but they're digging their heels in on some major issues, mainly around noise, access, financials, fireworks and long terms contracts.

Not great but not a lot I can do other than to continue pushing for some answers.
I was hoping he could give us the date he has in mind for JAE then at least some people could pre book there holiday. Surely a date must have been discussed and agreed upon before getting down to the finer details. If the back up venue i.e. plan B isn't no longer an option and this doesn't get the go ahead there could be no JAE for 2009.

Kev

Not the same type of event, JAE is quite unique really.

Well John has posted up and closed the thread I posted in.

I was hoping he could give us the date he has in mind for JAE then at least some people could pre book there holiday. Surely a date must have been discussed and agreed upon before getting down to the finer details. If the back up venue i.e. plan B isn't no longer an option and this doesn't get the go ahead there could be no JAE for 2009.

Kev

bloody locals, last year was awesome, i really really enjoyed it, and they moan about a 3 day event. some people just don't have enough to do, so they just write letters of complaint....

I've only been to JAE in 07 and 08. I did feel EOE was a better show ground. Can't believe the bloody locals complaining!! I didn't even realise there were any bloody locals!!

Arnold, your forgetting Karaoke in 07 too #####, in the back of my car :p

bloody locals, last year was awesome, i really really enjoyed it, and they moan about a 3 day event. some people just don't have enough to do, so they just write letters of complaint....

Check your pm's, I need to know if you can attend another event

thanks
Kev

Hmmm I was really looking forward to going to this :(
I know of some places - there's a huge field in Salisbury for instance. I mean HUGE! Would need to look into it. There's also Old Sarum too, but I doubt that has the capacity for a show JAE's size.

my local school closed down a few months ago and has a school playing field 5 football pitches wide and 10 pitches long with two huge tarmac areas just begging to be abused...lol

and the distance does matter.

for EOE showground i could set off after work on a friday and be there for festivities by 8 or 9pm having used no more than 3/4 tank of fuel.

Mersea island i used a tank and a quarter and had to take the friday off too and i was knakered after the journey. i then had to take the monday off too. so im now two days out of pocket and a whole tank of fuel also.
not everybody can afford to throw money away like that. however much we like shows it costs a fortune traveling to them and JAE 08 was simply in the wrong place for 80% of the population and it showed.

Anthony, please stop winging about JAE 08 its getting a bit boring now.

its called expressing an opinion and answering the post by arnold
An extra 100 miles will only take an hour and a half, which isn't that much. There's people that drive over from Europe to attend, so that really says something. This is the best car show and weekend of the calendar year! I'd drive thousands of miles to be at JAE. The atmosphere and good times are unrivalled by anything else!

this may be true, and people do travel from all over europe, but some of the people at JAE also have 600+bhp supras and skyline GTR's...... i dont, i have a micra that i struggle to modify and all i was pointing out was that a national event should cater for the nation not the nuveu-riche that can afford the fuel and the time off work. this is my reason and i can only voice my opinion and nobody elses. but im sure there are other reasons for its decline. (probebly not the right wordage)

i still feel this is strong point and one that is echoed by many people even further away than me. so however boring it may seem ED its still a valid one.

ps i LOVE jae dont get me wrong. it realy is the best event of the year and will be a shame if it dissapears. fireworks, karaoke....brilliant. its like one of my old school reports..... during term (ie now) i would get "could do better" then come my GCSE tests (ie jae itself) it was a "im well surprised, much better than expected"....and i think thats whats happening here. i mean i didnt even think about fuel or money once there... it kinda washed over me with a mist of alcohol and singing...

Because I'm sick of JAE bashing.

Why moan about something that is in the past. People need to have faith that the show is run by humans who do the best they can, and DO think about the distance people have to drive, DO think about costs etc.

Visitors have absolutely no idea of the completely stupid amount of politics that goes on to make an event such as JAE go ahead, the amount of complete crap your told by site/council owners, and then to be let down again last moment + dealing with the extra loud tiny minority of people who then complain ruining yet again the show for everyone.

To then read how it cost some people more fuel to get there days taken off etc drives me nuts.

Put it in perspective, thank god John/Org are still persuing this or there would be no JAE ever again.

I think where Ed is coming from is that JAE 08 is done and dusted now, so we may as well look forward rather then backwards.

On a problematic note, if JAE happens and it's in the first two weeks of September I'm stuffed and will NOT be attending. My mum and dad have booked a holiday that overlaps two weekends and I'm left in charge of running our business. I have attended 6 years running now and organised our club stand for about the last 3 years. With a date in first two weeks of September means I won't be there.

People really do need to know the date(s) John is looking at and then people could pencil them in work at least, go for the date John is aiming at and pencil in another week as back up. Once it's announced, people can make the necessary changes. The date should at the very least be made available.

Kev

i thaught it was constructive critisism as if we dont learn from mistakes of the past and cater for the masses then how can we plan for the future?

i understand the complexities of orginising an event and that some sacrifises must be made. but why do you suppose many of the 2007 show goers didnt turn up for 2008?......

that and the credit crunch isnt going to help..
To then read how it cost some people more fuel to get there days taken off etc drives me nuts.

fair enough, but it does make a big difference. its fine if your coming from london or the south east. its perfectly affordable for people with a business and 5 cars that they can comfortably run. but for the normal joe the person who is struggling to pay the mortgage, running two jobs during these times. it is a huge consideration for people not to go.... and again im not saying that the orginisers should move it. its just that this may be one of the reasons for 08 not being quite as busy as 07.

could be wrong though

You can't say that because people own 600+bhp cars, they're not going to come because of the extra distance. If anything, they're still going to come to show them off - and for the love of driving the awesome machines they've created. An extra tank of fuel, what £30? Come on Ant, you've already said it's an awesome event, so you can't put a price on good times.

Also, we all had to take days off to be there, but an extra day at JAE was well worth it!! I'd book a week off if that's how long the event ran for!

Credit crunch isn't a valid reason. Don't have a fast car if you can't afford to drive it!

If the MSC organised the event - fair enough. But it doesn't. The people organising JAE are very experienced and know what works/doesn't. If things appear in a way that could be easily improved then chances are it was a compromise that HAD to be made.

As I always say to people who moan about anything. If you think you can do better, go ahead and be my guest.

RE credit crunch: There are around 30ish million people employed in the UK. Around 2m unemployed. In real terms this will not change /that/ much. The credit crunch will not affect everyone in a negative way either.

arnold, what i was saying is that of you have a 600bhp car you can afford to drive where ever you like.
us micra owners are gonna struggle. afterall how many of us truely chose a micra over any other car? we chose one because they are cheap and thats a fundamentals of it.

a show is never going to be a cheap thing to go to and i have to conceed that however different jae's have been... they were both awesome..

arnold, what i was saying is that of you have a 600bhp car you can afford to drive where ever you like.
us micra owners are gonna struggle. afterall how many of us truely chose a micra over any other car? we chose one because they are cheap and thats a fundamentals of it.

But you can't use your personal situation and assume it's the same for everyone else. The fact that Micra's are cheap should really mean you've got more money to spend on other things such as driving to JAE :p

i agree with ant...if i had money i would buy a faster car, regardles of insurance costs as it wouldnt matter.

alot of people, buy micras for the fact there cheap and reliable....also running costs, i know with my situaltion i carnt afford to fill the car up with more than a tenner a week! it doesnt help the fact work is crap atm aswell, and thats mostly the same for everyone else!

for last years JAE i would of have to save £60 aside for fuel costs if my car went! insted i went down with swiper and spent £20 for his fuel costs.

never been to jae as yet, seen plenty of pics of it on here, really nice cars there. only happens once a year, so it shouldnt be a problem for any one to go if they wanted to. if you have been to jae and you enjoyed it (no dout you will of done) you have plenty of time to save till the next one.
distance should not be a problem, more time spent on the road driving the more Experience and confidence you wil gain also it gets as many clubs and members and cars in one place at the same time as you all know.
put a tenner a week away starting now that will cover the cost of your petrol wont it ?and your food :p

sorry, my comments are a little biased. i dont currently have a job and am struggling to get to interviews in my car due to money constraints. i feel this may have dampened my views towards what is in all seriousness, the best show of the year... i mean...... how can you not say that when dan dan the kareoke man is there?

My point still stands why John cannot give us an idea of the date we are looking at for the show and indeed which area of the UK it's going to be in.

I can full well imagine that organising such a growing show must be a logistical nightmare and John and the team do an amazing job year on year with soo many obstacles to over come.......I have never questioned that, but I really don't see why we cannot have an idea of when the show will be in September, i.e what weekend and what part of the country we are looking at.

There is no point giving a location when technically as things stand there isnt one. Therefore there can be no date as there is no location confirmed. Trouble is now is finding a space at ANY show ground with this much short notice. Consider that that Mersey was 100% confirmed up until a month ago - until Essex Council decided to play party politics.

So John cannot say or suggest anything as he would simply be guessing.

afterall how many of us truely chose a micra over any other car? we chose one because they are cheap and thats a fundamentals of it..

NeX lol, he now has 5.5, I bet if he sold them all he could probably afford a 600 bhp car lol

Agree with Ed and Kev, there is no point looking in the past and saying 'i could have chosen a better site closer for everyone'

lets just hope it happens but if it doesnt...it doesnt we just have to live with that.

well it will be the first time for me so it better defo happen as i have a decent car to show off as well lol me and my big head

We should all just book onto a campsite somewhere if it doesn't happen and have our own national meet / party!

We should all just book onto a campsite somewhere if it doesn't happen and have our own national meet / party!

totally agree, lets see what happens with JAE in the meantime.

We can always look for another show that we book for a full weekend.

Kev

ban? me? :( i promise i wont make a fool of myself this time around lol.

lol I'm counting on it! :D

Just read this on the JAE forums:

Fuggles said:
Done
smile.gif

I will post up all the details and email everyone before next week, and hopefully before the weekend: work permitting.

If you don't get an email from me by Monday please PM me with your email and contact details and club

Some of us know where it is already ;) looks like its all confirmed ill wait for the official release however....

oh, i will have my car, but it wont be anywhere near show worthy, and possibly just a stickered up stock stripped car....

Date and location are on the official JAE website / Facebook "i'm going to JAE 2009 group", and now the thread just created in General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back