It's "just" a Micra...

madmezza

Ex. Club Member
Now, I realise this may well offend a lot of people grr here but...

Is a Micra the best what people aspire to? :wow:

I mean it in a genuinely interested sense. I've got one, which I use for commuting generally, and I have a nice HU and sub/amp etc in the boot. Love the car for it's practicality and reliability, but can't help being slightly embarassed when I tell people I have a Micra as one of my main commute car!

Are people generally younger on this forum and can't afford sportier cars? I'm nearly 30, so I might be in an odd group for people who have this sort of car as a boy-racer wagon (hey, my wife thinks I'm barmey putting a sub in the boot, but I've always wanted to since school, and now I have some spare dosh I can do it!).

Just wondered what everyone thinks about this...?

Kind of agree but I personally like to be different, and there aint nothing wrong with a micra, they are good, strong reliable Japanese cars, and there aint anything wrong with driving that. :) Most of us are slightly younger on here, and I know I won't have the car forever, but for now I have put to much money into it to sell it, and I love it and the way it drives etc, well from what I remember of it anyways. :p

Thanks for the sensible reply - I was kind of expecting flaming responses to that! Keep 'em coming - I'm interested to hear why people like them (I have a better car, but I can't help liking the Micra for what it is - practical and reliable).

I own it along the same lines as Micra Man. As well as being different, its cheap to run and very reliable car! I bought my K10 as i needed "anything" to get me from a to b, but you soon start to realise what potential they have over most other aged cars on the roads.

Cheap insurance, cheap tax, cheap to fill up and cheap to fix! You cant say the same about any other type of car like it - Nova etc, also, theres no others like it for at least 20 miles so it stands out from the corsas etc.

It gets to the stage when you just dont care what others think! People dont understand micras so how can they slag them off! have they ever driven one? its doubtful!!! The same will come to modifying.. some people will like what you do, others dont, but at the end of the day, its your car!! does it really matter what others think?

if your happy with it, then thats all that matters

Arnold

I own it as i brought it off my parents. When i first had it i was quite disappioned (coz of the stereotype and the fact its purple, kinda like zephyrs car). Wouldnt change it for anything now tho! Touch wood it aint broke down on me or gave me too much problems, and for a 1 litre it really goes! Put some 1.1/1.2 cars to shame infact :D

I can see where you are coming from here.

I bought my K10... merely as a run-about while I was getting my Skyline back on the road. Since this is still in process, over time I have been buying various parts for my K10....and just grew to like it.

Now though... I've bought a Celica, and am thus thinking of parting with my K10, to fund tuning...

-Elliot

Elliot - sort my wheels :p
Oh and how much would you sell yout k10 for, im not after it, but just out of interest.. i think youd make more if you put your hitachi back on though and sold the webbers seperate..

i got my first micra k11 before i passed my test wen i was 16,i i didnt know anything about them,or any car at that time!
all i knew is that i liked the look of it(allready modded hevy),,then i came across this site probly the same day :D and caught the bug ,at the same time all my mates was looking around for cars too,at corsas,novos,clios
then when i passed my test first cos i was the oldest they all realised what it actually could look like and perform like lol..,,the next minute 3 of em bought k11s one of em being ROBBO :p

people will always ask "why a micra?" ,,but why any car?
im keeping mine until my plans are over,,NEVER lmao

Dusk said:
Elliot - sort my wheels :p
Oh and how much would you sell yout k10 for, im not after it, but just out of interest.. i think youd make more if you put your hitachi back on though and sold the webbers seperate..

I sent you a text before matey. :)

-Elliot

I bought mine, with "being different" in mind. Many of my friends have: corsa's/ saxo's/ nova's etc, having a micra is something different. Something away from the crowd. At first I wasnt too keen, but now I wouldnt change it for any other car in its class (apart from maybe a different micra) ;)

all these are valid points but the question is not why a micra but why any car, i could go on thousands of different car forums and ask the same question. for instance a morris minor is slow, unreliable, ugly (imo) and expensive yet they are worth more now than ever. same goes for minis, beetles, transporters. Even newer cars that seem pointless to us, have the same following suzuki ignis sport for example. not the quickest or the best looking but lots of people own and love them and the same goes for thousand of other cars.

it maybe just me but when people ask what i drive i can honestly say that im proud to say a micra. it shows i havent caved in and conformed to what is expected of someone in my age group (nova, corsa, clio etc) i also like the fact then when people see my car they say stuff like "actually that is quite nice" or something to that affect.

at the end of the day people buy a car for different reasons and what they need at the time. whether it is cheap to insure, cheap to run, reliability, size or watever. it all comes down to the individual.

oh i bought my micra coz of all of the reasons said cheap, fun, realiable, easy to work on, potential. and the fact that when i beat saxos, novas, clios they have to face up to the fact they have been beaten by what they thought a much lesser car. lol

well im on my 3rd micra now... 2 k10's and now the k11...before i got the k11 i spent ages looking around for somthing slightly different..but couldnt find what i was looking for...not that i had anything particular in mind.

Then i spotted the car ive got now, so ultimatly after looking for a car other than a micra, i ended up with yet another micra....lol.

Why? hmm i cant really put my finger on it, i could say economy and insurance...but after adding bits and when ive finished what im doing now...both of those factors will have taken a hit.

Im personally quite pleased to own a micra, and not a corsa or similar more obvious choices...mainly because i really like driving it.

Eventually no doubt i'll end up getting somthing else...whether i sell up or keep it, is yet undecided but i do know its not going anywhere just yet :)

My Micra is the dogs! i love it! At first i thought it was jsut a car to get me from A to B, but now its just pure fun!

I used to own one cos it looked sexy, and my bro (Micra Man) persuaded me into buying one. Now i have sold it i miss it :so much :(

My mate has one and I had been in that before I got mine, it was a facelift 1L. It seemed nippy for a 1L and sounded great just with a k&n and a 3 inch backbox. I liked it as it was different and quick for what it was. I decided to look about for one and seen all I could afford was a pre-facelift. I finally found my SR on Ebay and its the best thing I have ever bought.

Its very reliable (touchwood) fast, handles good, has good potential, cheap to run and insure and is abit of a sleeper really when it can beat the usual corsas and clios.

Its such a difference to the Fiesta I had before that was 2 years older (8 valve pushrod engine) I will defo buy another Jap car, probably a Nissan. Kinda like brand loyality.

i've always hated all micra's while at school and college... i did want a corsa as thats what i learned in...

but ended up buying micra as it was a good buy...

i fell in love and instantly found that people really chat balls about micra's and probably have not driven one...

i think its just right for my financial situation while at uni, but i've had it now 4yrs, done the bodykit> engine mods to come...

i wont sell probably just buy another car on top... few yrs time...

all i say is keep it JAP...

I’m sure a lot of the members on this forum aspire to a better car - money permitting!!!
Hell I want a Nismo R34 Z Tune!!

I have 2 Micra’s, a K11 si and a K10 Super, I also have a Honda S2000 and about to buy a Honda Integra DC5

Embarrassed driving a Micra? Nah never, cant wait until I get all my Whiteline gear on the car and finish off the engine mods.

And why spend money on the Chassis and engine mods that may end up being more than the cars worth? Because I can and I want to!!!!!

I am also one of the older members of the forum (older than 35!!)

I love my March, in fact there Is not any other car I would swap it with. I want something that is fast and nippy and small. There is nothing that to me fullfills this better than the ST. The only thing I have ever sat in that was as much fun was a mega power evo and pulsar. But the evo is way to large for what I need, and the pulsars have horrid and cheap interiours!

wow im just in and before reading this i was lookin to get a new car something diff. but i feel the same as all the above comments, they r great cars and my 1st was given to me from my uncle out the scrapyard, was so disappointed wen i got the call n my uncle sayin down the phone "i got u a micra its white n looks quite clean" that was all i knew about it. i was so pesimistic bout it but i couldn refuse my uncle so i took it n had it almost a year but then i got the power bug, started lookin at other cars n came across Micraholics n thought what a cool site n i read on it for days bout tuning etc so i started lookin for a super s which i now own, all in all reading this thread has renewd my enthusiasm in the car n i am goin all out on mods over the comin year, i cant wait now :D

thanks alot for reading n thank you madmezza for startin this thread was really brave of you.

:D

i said a while ago micras are #### slow but now as times gone by my opinion has changed. Its nippy and pretty quick and its a great 1st car. Not broke down on me once yet :) fantastic and it flies around corners now :)

I after a Super S Though now as i want a bigger engine plus ive heard and seen on hear u can get 100BHP out of one :) That be nice to see beat a 1.2 SXI Corsa :p

Arnold said:
theres no others like it for at least 20 miles so it stands out from the corsas etc.
U obviously don't live in Bradford :laugh: Stand on any street in central Bradord between 8am and 11pm for 5mins and at least one'll go past. There's 3 red ones (one's mine) on my 200yd street and 2 of them are N reg, I once found myself in a train of 4 of them on the way into town.
I didn't choose my Micra, I've just sort of inherited it off my dad. The only 2 things I don't like about it are the CVT control program and the fact that u can't fit one of my sis' prams in the boot.

I got my car from my Sister a few years ago, and the same as most on here i didn't really like it as it wasn;t calssed as to cool to have a Micra!

But now, i've had it featured in 2 magazines and won a few trophys for it, so must be doing something right. :)

Im 23, whos jealous of people with bigger more powerful cars so my views may be different.

Firstly, I think its not wot you think that matters, but what other people think. I aint gonna spend alot of money doing ANY car up if it looks crap to other people, afterall isnt this why you do body mods or any kinda mod for that matter, to impress other people?? am i wrong?? anyways...

1. Micra isn't the best car that I aspire to.
2. I do feel slightly embarassed when I tell people I got a Micra.
3. Cos im a poor student and can't afford a bigger car.

Having said that...

I was asked 2 days ago, what car you got, I says Micra....I was riduculed about it and told its a girls car. Which had both positive and negative effects on me. On the + side, made me angry and more determined to finish some of the bits n bobs I have planned and prove them wrong and on the - side, I wanted to find the biggest hole and fall into it. (Im weak mentally I know)

People dont realise that a micra can be modded into a good looking car, provided its done tastefully and sensibly.

Yes I like my micra, had it since 2000 and holding on to it for now. Ive thrown money at it sensibly, induction kit, smart rims, lowering springs, head unit, speakers, sub n amp and a good alarm, shiny back box to cum and light tints and some dents to sort then it will be finished.

I personally wouldn't waste money on other aesthetic mods or engine mods other than a induction kit. Id rather save that kinda money and buy clothes with it, spend it on the girlfriend, 36" LCD TV etc you get the idea, things to do with the home.

BUT in the supermini class, I wouldn't swap my micra for any other brand/model, as proven to be reliable, fun to drive, and cute looking. IT IS a wonderful little car.

Now after I graduate from uni, I aint planning to be a bum, come a decent paid job, it will be bye to the micra (as in no money spent on it wotsoeva, just petrol and probs sittin on the drive most the time) and always been a dream of mine to invest in a nice, expensive, powerful German automobile. Can't fault an Audi.

i think you'll find a lot of people aspire to "better" cars, not so long ago i was wanting something different but kept the micra. like ed said there fun/quick and small.

also with this being a club for micras you'll find there are a lot of enthusiasts who understand the potential the micra engines, both k10 and k11. not to mention the new k12's along with hr16de, and enjoy tuning them.

this is like asking on a mini club, why spend 5-7k on a classic 1275cc mini when you could get an R32 GTR?? answer would be simple we're enthusuiasts and can't find a more fun car to have, eveything about them suits us. it the same here in most cases i think.

:) and no offence taken mate.

also i love telling people i have a micra cos they laugh at me, but after they've been in it and see what the 1.3's capable of they soon change their mind lol

The k10 i've got has been in the family for 5 years and i haven't had to replace a single part on it, except the usual service bits and pieces.

....now i'm taking mine to an elevated level of "different" :D

I like it 'because' people slate it, my first simple question is why, then after much deliberation and arguing and counter arguing the best people can generaly come up with is "but it's a Micra", at which point i feel that their narrow mindedness has been adequately highlighted to anyone else in earshot.

Batch - official chav educator :)

i love mine mainly as its very reliable cheap to fix and very economical, ive had better cars but tbh going fast is overrated, i feel very comfortable in a micra and like dan mentioned earlier i like to be different. :) but i know there are better cars out there ;)

i dont think a person should mod a car to impress other people coz that is a bit shallow. if this was true i would whack a massive bodykit on it and some neons and drive into bolton town centre where a gang of chavs would flock to see it lol. i mod my car to make it nicer to drive, more comfortable, faster etc and just in general make it a nicer place to be in.

59 bhp is more than enough said:
i dont think a person should mod a car to impress other people coz that is a bit shallow. if this was true i would whack a massive bodykit on it and some neons and drive into bolton town centre where a gang of chavs would flock to see it lol. i mod my car to make it nicer to drive, more comfortable, faster etc and just in general make it a nicer place to be in.

very well put ;)

Speedle said:
very well put ;)

i second that...

i thought he got words wrong way round when i read "it dont matter what you think, but what others think"...

tottally wrong for me, impress myself thats about it... my gf and friends are not bothered what i drive, so what do i care what strangers think about my car....

no matter what car you drive you get haters and pistakers...

i want a Sunny or almera gti soon, but already get stupid comments off uni mates and collegues... "oh get a VTR, like mine"...

stay individual, do what makes you comfortable... F' everyone else, they dont pay your petrol...

far as im concerned people that care what you drive over who you are are not worth knowing ;) i dont need a £20k car to feel big and clever ;)

59 bhp is more than enough said:

I also agree, i think a your car should be and look how you want it too. Its what makes each different car original! People take the #### outta my car coz its a micra and its purple but i seriously dont care becuase i know that its v. reliable and quick for what it is, and i got it for next to free!

And about the spending money on your gf comment, becomming single was one of the best things thats happened to me this year financially :p

I am certaintly NOT embarrassed to say I have a micra, I love my car to bits. Its cheap to run, insure,tax etc and a total dream to drive. It does everything that i want from a car, and any extras can be added!!!

I do a lot of travelling and the micra is perfect. Theres plenty of space in the back for my animals (I travel to shows a lot) and it doesnt struggle with the long drives.

My partner has an MR2, and I must admit when he got it I was very tempted to change my car to something more 'sporty'. But then the problems started, that car, no matter how good it looks, has been a total disaster. As it happens he has been using my micra for the last 6 weeks as his has blown up completely.

I have had 4 micras now and never once had any problems. I love them to bits :)

yeh and it goes to show that CARS aint everythin for me, i like to live in a nice home too, buy things for my girlfriend, its not a burden, i like doing that.

lucky you edited your last post mate... may have got slated...

will agree with you on that one point, cars aren't everythingand gf/home/family/food is probably priority lol... i say probably...

but definately dont care about my image be hurt by a car i just happen to like...

didnt mean to sound like i was offending you. im only 20 and i havnt even spent much money on my car, and my girlfriend was a dog so fair play to you!

i agree that cars aint everythin. i have a girlfreind which i love to spend money on and she loves to spend moeny onme (although coz were both students it doesnt happen as often). watever i get for the car i always make sure that there is enough money for everything else.

Well I love my car. Its looks good, its very quick for a 1.3, its very economical, its perfect for all my motoring needs at the moment and most importantly its DIFFRENT!!!

Im planning on putting a 2.0 VVL engine in it in about 2/3 years. It like when people want to get better car, thats their target. And I want to put a 2.0 in a Micra, thats my target.

TBH honest Im not too fused what people think about because its my car and its perfect for me. I used to get more people laughing at my car when I drove my mums 1.0 and put a tail pipe finish thing on it, and when I had the massive NISMO sticker on the front off my blue SR, people used to #### them selfs at that and TBH honest looking back on it, it did look really stupid.

But since Ive had my black SR people have started appericcating it alot more. And since ive put my black wheels on, loads more people look at it more. I have had loads of people compliment the car lately. Just last night some bloke asked me what engine I had in it and how much my wheels where, that all just adds to how much I already love my car.

I LOVE MY MICRA

i bought mine just for a cheap reliable car to get me to work and that i could park anywhere without worrying someone was gonna nick it or damage it! leaving me plenty of cash for my other car!

but the micra broke!

i wouldnt have taken a bird out in it, but it was a bit of an old/crap model really!

iv since bought a rover coupe for the same purpose! BUT its the HONDA engined and suspensioned model so should be reliable! very nice refined car to drive, very smooth, looks half decent, and is cheap to run (and was cheap to buy too)

:)

on the case of modding and making your car look nicer n spending money on other things like gf n goin out etc my theory i live to, which was told to me by a self made millionaire, is "do not buy anything unless you have enough money to buy two" which means it will leave you money for other stuff if anything goes wrong. and as someone in the thread earlier said about splitting with their gf was the best thing ever financially i agree mine was way too much to keep goin with.

also a comment made by my EX-GIRLFRIEND was "omg this car is so **** get a new 1 like the new corsa or clio" at this point i jus looked at her n was gonna just chip her out the car but instead i made her see sense n after about a week she was telling me to keep it coz she loved it so much bein so cheap, reliable n fun etc but now its over n i am happy.

After reading all them replies all i want to say is: I LOVE MY MICRA and touch wood it hasn't let me down!!!!

K11SS said:
on the case of modding and making your car look nicer n spending money on other things like gf n goin out etc my theory i live to, which was told to me by a self made millionaire, is "do not buy anything unless you have enough money to buy two" which means it will leave you money for other stuff if anything goes wrong. and as someone in the thread earlier said about splitting with their gf was the best thing ever financially i agree mine was way too much to keep goin with.

also a comment made by my EX-GIRLFRIEND was "omg this car is so sh*t get a new 1 like the new corsa or clio" at this point i jus looked at her n was gonna just chip her out the car but instead i made her see sense n after about a week she was telling me to keep it coz she loved it so much bein so cheap, reliable n fun etc but now its over n i am happy.

My girlfriend loves all my cars.... infact, she is even a named driver on my K10! :D

-Elliot

Onto my 3rd k11 micra now and wouldn't swap it for any other similar sized/priced car that was around at the time i bought it.Bought them all new and the one i have now was more expensive than loads of other similar cars but i liked it better.True what you say though most people who don't like them have never been in a one. They'd soon change their minds if they'd have a go!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 229
Thanks everyone for a really sensible set of replies - it's quite inspiring to find so much appreciation for the cars.

I bought mine on the reliability thing, but I am really loving it. It's my 3rd car (I have a sports car and my wife has a general run-about mini MPV), but to be honest I spend most of the time in the Micra, and I really enjoy it.

Cheers for all your responses, I can feel proud to own one!! :wasntme:

My reasons for owning a micra was due to me just passing my test, having a well paid job, and being offered 2 years free insurance when i first bought it, 2nd car was also a micra due to the cheap insurance after losing my license, but now i have an almera gti, i would love to own another 'full' micra, due to the comfort and enjoyment i have had out of both of my previous cars.

I love the micra, but the reason i have had two, and still own half one now is due to the love i have for the friends i have around me which I have met through this club. This group of friends have urged me to cintinue to modify the micras I have owned, and have also urged me to keep my damaged micra and turn it into a BBQ. I have a love for the micra, but this is mainly due to the members and the best friends I have within the MSC. That is the reason its more than a micra to me.

I was handed down my micra from my grandad. its a 1.3 auto 5dr k11. now as a 20 year old male student at the time you can imagine the ridicule i got from my mates. at first i believed them and set about saving money for something different (anything different!!!)
Then i met speedle, paul and tom down in portsmouth and saw the huge potential this car had. 2 years on i've tried loads of different cars (2 golfs, 1 citroen ZX and a clio) none of these have compared to the micra! even when i'm out of uni i will be keeping it for a couple of years until i can afford a 160sr.
i just love the ethos of the car. Cheap reliable, fun.
Just because i dont have a big flashy car doesnt make me less of a man. like has been said before i spend my money on things 'I' deem to be more worth while. TV's computers Music girlfriend etc.
do what makes you happy, not what others like. Who are you living your life for?
anyways rant over :) have fun people and keep up the good work!

i started on micras 4 yrs ago when i was handed down my grandads 1.0 K10 with luxury brown interior. this got treated to all sorts of abuse and horrid stick ons, until i was in a position to have something better. i nearly brought an immaculate 1.4 corsa sport, which i fell in love with, but the weekend i ws due to go look the owner sent it in to have a ridiculous combat 2 widearch kit put on. looked horrid and he didnt sell anyway. so i thought hmmm micra. one came along at the right price and i guessed well it would do as a runabout until i could afford something 'a bit better' (not knowing the fun you can have with a K11) and so, within 3 weeks it was lowered on 15'' alloys :D now 2 yrs on i still love it to pieces, especially now my new wheels are on :D

i have to agree with everyone so far the Micra is a small fun and cheap car. I have had my K11 for 6 years now and its been a gem. People do look down their nose when you tell what you drive but what they dont know is that while their spending hundreds an hundreds of pounds on service caots on their big German cars, we micra owners spend very little to get a lot. Yes its not a good looking car, Yes it doesnt have the badge stauts of other marks, Yes its not big and powerful BUT to us Mirca owners are they are the BOMB and even uglyness is a beauty of its own. This car has the x factor which only ture petrol head know about.....(btw i hate x factor the show it for people that dont know jack).

My K11 has a few minor problem (like the common dizzy an resistor problem) but thats not to say she hasnt been a good in fact she is a fantasic car. I do drive my car fast and hard and she never complains once in fact i think she likes to show what she can do when she is a mood (just my like miss;s LOL :p)

all i can say is that FUN 100% RELIABLE and thrust worthy car i would trade it anything.......Mirca i salute you.

Back