is it worth it?

boyracergt

Ex. Club Member
the cambelt whent on the micra today so far ive managed to get the rocker cover off and the camshaft and rocker seem fine. will get another belt on it and do a compression test but im assuming the valves are stuffed is there much point me repairing it?

It's probably cheaper/easier to just replace the whole engine isn't it? Your engine is more than likely going to have damage

yeah thats what i was thinking, its due its mot in a 4 months just wondering is it worth getting a new engine as the sill showing signs of the dreaded tin worm ?

you should have way too much valve clearance on any valves that are bent, if you turn the cam and check them, (but not with any pistons at tdc tho) :)

Today i took the rocker shaft off so i could time the cam and crank shaft up. I noticed that you can turn the crank round using the pulley by hand. In one place there was no resistance and turning it round was accompanied by the sound of an air going down the exhaust and up the inlet. Surely with no rocker the valves should all be closed so i guess this means ive got no compression ?

there wont be any compression with the rocker gear removed mate. Look at all the valve stems....they should all be closed...are they all the same height? If they are that would indicate no bent valves and you might get away with just a new belt...

Today i took the rocker shaft off so i could time the cam and crank shaft up. I noticed that you can turn the crank round using the pulley by hand. In one place there was no resistance and turning it round was accompanied by the sound of an air going down the exhaust and up the inlet. Surely with no rocker the valves should all be closed so i guess this means ive got no compression ?

yes, you should have 4 compressions every 1 turn of the crank if the rocker shaft is removed, i have straightened valves in the past :wasntme: (i used a coin under where the valve was touching the seat, and tapped the highside down with a drift) not really recommended, but will get you back on the road, then i checked it was sealing ok with an airline up the port

Back