Insurance query - car registered in different name?

lewic

Ex. Club Member
I'm hoping to sell the Micra in spring, much as I've grown attached to it, its lousy on fuel and not really suited to motorways.

However it may take a couple of months to get a good price for it, and I dont want to pay two lots of insurance. My current insurance lets me drive other people's cars third party, so could I get the new car registered in a friends name then drive it myself until the Micra is sold? Or would the friend legally have to be insured on the car I was driving, even if they never drove it themselves?

best people to ask for this is the insurance company that you are with at the moment, personally i would get a 'friend' involved because say you fall out with that friend ??? possibly keep it in the family.

normally you can add more than one car to an account.

I think if you own the car, this information needs to be displayed on the V5, however he can be insured on that car, as an additional driver to your insurance policy.

I dont think he'l be able to get insurance on his own policy if the car is registered to you.

Reverse the above if he owned the car. You would have to be a named driver on his policy.

when i was buying a second hand car, Tesco wouldnt let me take out my own policy because i didnt own the car. I had to use dayinsure which covered me for a couple of days, while the change of ownership was taking place.

Yes the friend would have to be insured on the car also, I've looked into this myself with a few insurance companies, and they say its all to do with preventing insurance fraud. As Paddy says, most insurers will provide a 'second car' policy, which gives third party cover for a lesser fee than a full policy.

Damn! Didnt think they'd leave that loophole open. Spose I'll have to bite the bullet then - hopefully second car won't be too much (Pug 205 turbodiesel top of the wish list at mo..)

say you fall out with that friend ?
Ha ha, good point. He is my ex, although v amicable!

doesnt every car on road have to be taxed and insured?
even if ur friend owned the car it still needs insurance on it like a seperate enitity...
so end line is something like the car shouldnt be driven on road cuz its not got insurance even if ur policy covers u on other cars third party...

If you can drive any car on third party - it only covers cars that has an insurance policy bound to it. Thats why my mate cant drive my car to the mot station to get it mot'd. Its only £10 i suppose to insure it for a day.

If the car is on a public road, it must be taxed.. however if your not driving it, i dont see a problem in not getting insurance. Unless it gets nicked etc, but what are the odds...

Can't u just phone up your insurance?

Say your m8s buying a car, but can't get it home as he can't afford insurance yet, are you covered to drive it?

A little white lie.....see what they say!!

Can you not buy the car, and let it be registered in your friends name, and give the friend the money to insure the car third party, then that car is insured and your covered to drive it third party on your insurance policy.

You can only drive a car third party if its insured at least third party and not registered to you ;)

Back