instruments stop working intermittently

Hi,
The problem is that from time to time the dashboard instruments, speedometer, rev counter, fuel and temperature indicators all fall to zero when driving.
I have checked and reseated the dashboard fuse; cleaned and tightened the battery connections; and I have removed, sanded and reconnected the negative earth lead to the chassis so that it makes a good earth connection. Problem not fixed. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank You.

Do you have a multimeter by any chance? If you're sure the earth connection is OK it could be a break in the copper track on the plastic film which counts as a circuit board for the dash.

I assume late facelift re the electronic speedo? ;)

Could be one of the 3 connector plugs behind the console pod not making proper contact.

Also, sanding a connection is a bad idea, you need fine emery for this - used sparingly - otherwise you'll take the plating off the connection and leave it open to corrosion and possibly also grit in it's place.

- BG -

Car Dash

I had the same fault and when I sent the cluster for repair they returned it saying it was ok! In the end I went to a japanese scrapyard and replaced the complete cluster for £40-00, lucky that the millage reading was very close to the original. My car is a 1.0Ltr auto 1999

Do you have the electronic gauge cluster with digital odo meter?
If so, one of the 3 connectors connecting to the meter cluster may be loose.

Back