High level LED brake light not working

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
The high level LED brake light has stopped working on my 2002 K11.
The main brake lights operate as normal. I have checked to see if there is voltage at the power terminals on the LED strip unit, but there is none.

I see in the Hayne's manual that it is wired in with the main brake lights, so suspect a dodgy earth.
Could someone tell me please where the cabling for the light terminates at the opposite end of the light unit.
Specifically, where I might find the body earthing point.

A bit more info on further investigation:

The LED light has been checked with an external power source and is working.
I've continuity checked the connection from chassis earth to negative terminal on light and that's ok.

Any suggestions on where I should be looking next?

Last edited:
The high level LED brake light has stopped working on my 2002 K11.
The main brake lights operate as normal. I have checked to see if there is voltage at the power terminals on the LED strip unit, but there is none.

I see in the Hayne's manual that it is wired in with the main brake lights, so suspect a dodgy earth.
Could someone tell me please where the cabling for the light terminates at the opposite end of the light unit.
Specifically, where I might find the body earthing point.

A bit more info on further investigation:

The LED light has been checked with an external power source and is working.
I've continuity checked the connection from chassis earth to negative terminal on light and that's ok.

Any suggestions on where I should be looking next?

Hi-Level Brake Light US

Most likely source of your electrical fault is a broken wiring loom conductor within the flexible shrouded sleeve wiring to the hatchback, ~ located near the top right hinge.

Carefully cut open the shroud to expose the multiple wires inside and identify the high-level brake light feed and its associated chassis earth return wire.

Quote, “I've continuity checked the connection from chassis earth to negative terminal on light and that's ok.”

Therefore most likely to be the high-level brake light feed wire snapped near the hinge and should be gently pulled out of the sleeve and gently pulled between the thumb and forefinger of each hand to stretch the wire to reveal broken copper conductor location within the PVC insulation. ;)