K11 Hazard/Demister Switch Lights not working

Hi all,

Recently purchased my first car - K11 Blue W Reg, love her. She's called Minnie.

Unfortunately, Minnie's air vents were not working in the past, and the guy who rectified this unfortunately managed to make it so that neither the hazard light or demister lights work (three bulbs in total). These are the rear demister illumination light, the on/off light, and the blinking hazard light one.

I've had the switches out, tried moving the bulbs about but think it unlikely all three would have blown at the same time. I've tried putting an LED with the legs on either side of the circular metal plate that the bulb normally sits on and activated the switch to see if it would light up, but it didn't - seems to be no current going through?

Is there anywhere that a connection could be lose (the cables and molex looking connections to the back of the switches are definitely seated fine) or perhaps a fuse that needs changing? Seems odd all three went at the same time, and pretty sure something somewhere isn't connected or has been shorted.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

Jay101

Black&Yellow
Hi Pete. It's usually quite hard to tell, when someone has been "tampering". Could you not try a local scrapyard for the switches to see if it cures it?

I could, but as I said before seeing as they were working before the guy changed the blower motor, (according to previous owner) it would indicate something other than the bulbs... seeing as it is two switches side by side I doubt replacing the switch would do anything?

Managed to fix it today by soldering LEDs directly to the contacts for the bulbs. Either the bulbs were dead, or none of them were making sufficient contact in order to illuminate. Anyways, job is a good'un! Cheers for the suggestion Jay101.

Managed to fix it today by soldering LEDs directly to the contacts for the bulbs. Either the bulbs were dead, or none of them were making sufficient contact in order to illuminate. Anyways, job is a good'un! Cheers for the suggestion Jay101.

could have fitted a diode instead, this way you will never have this problem again