Brake lights

I have a 2000 build car which is suffering from instrument problems when the brakes are applied. Namely the Fuel Gauge and Temp Gauge fall to zero and the speedo fluctuates. I have the Haynes for the car and the wiring diagram for this year (2000-on) shows the brake lights fed through the ignition relay, ie they should only work when ignition is ON......on my car they work also with the ignition OFF !
Is the diagram wrong? The car is definitely later spec as all the fuse box feeds relate to a post 2000 car.
I have not found a short or open circuit and it seems high demand (42W total for both stop bulbs) is causing the problem. Is there a voltage regulator (dropper) for the instruments?
Bit baffled at the moment. All earths checked on the instrument cluster and at the lights themselves. (instrument cluster seems to have only earth alongside RH headlight)
Any Ideas???

Peter.

Further on

Fixed problem by changing the Instrument Pod. Now I want to fix the old Pod. Anybody got a wiring diagram of the Pod? Not a schematic...the wiring diagram.
Thanks,

Peter

Fixed

Changed pod. Stripped old one. Nothing seemed to be obviously wrong. Guess its the op-amp not stabilising the voltage. Still need works diagram if anyone has one. Spare from JAP SPARES, Heathrow.

Regards,
Peter.

Back