Installing cold air intake

CMF_RBLUV

» CMF Member
Guys

What does the little hose attached to the bottom of the air box do and do I need to hook it up when installling cold air intake?

Thanks
Kyle

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Pretty much just blowby, if any oil gets up that high it goes in and gets burned out the exhaust, just get an oil catch can and hook it up for safety

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
RTK i think he is talking about the other hose, the tinly little one. Kyle ive had mine unhooked with no dramas, I belive it has something to do with the charcoal canister? Frank will know, or else it has been covered before here and lots on the UK forums.

edit: sorry Kyle i cant remember now whether I have it blocked off or free venting... ill check for you later

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

edit: sorry Kyle i cant remember now whether I have it blocked off or free venting... ill check for you later

I have mine venting the small tube is just ziptied next to the oil blow by filter i installed.

I had it blocked for a while but i felt the car ran better when it is venting

CMF_RBLUV

» CMF Member
i followed it and it looks like it goes to the bottom of the block?

anyway ive left it venting and no dramas so far

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
the small tube is an ambient pressure source for part of the carbon canistor vacuum activation on some models. my 98 slx just had a vacuum pipe straight from the manifold to the canister diaphram instead.
the pipe is controlled by a thermostatic valve beside the coolant sensor.

when engines cold, the valve is open. The vacuum from the pipe below the TB would just sucks in air from the exposed ambient source (easiest path) rather than on the carbon canister diaphram. this keeps the canister closed until the engines warmed up n ready.

when engines warmed up, the valve closes to allow all the vacuum from the inlet manifold to reach the canister diaphram. whenever there's enough vacuum such as when the throttles closed, the vacuum makes the diaphram open the canister valve and the stored fumes flow into the engine to be burnt.

Back